RW Matvei Michkov (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
this sounds totally made up unless Michkov told the outlet what he said, which than you can say he might be bluffing about it, either way this kid is captain material. Canucks would be happy with this kid.
Someone from the refs could tell that also, not to mention that there were people not far away that could hear the conversation too.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
According to a russian sports news outlet, after leaving the box Michkov came to the referee and the dialogue went something like:

- What the f**k was that?
- How are you talking to me?
- Talking to you however the f**k I want.
*Michkov back to the box.

Not saying he has anger or attitude problems, he is just a kid still. But if his hockey skills are considered by GMs to be on the same level as those of his draft competitors, other things like that might push him down in the draft.
I feel like Radulov and Ovy would've talked to refs like this in their draft years.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
So how has he looked in recent games? It is a pity he is playing in a bad team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So how has he looked in recent games? It is a pity he is playing in a bad team.

Had 3 points in 2 games, but the last one was pointless for him. Overall you should pity him, watching Sochi is really painful even if you aren't the team's fan. 2/3 of its roster are low IQ or MHL players, it's just mind-boggling how many bad decisions on the ice they make. They can't control the puck in the offensive zone long enough to create scoring chances, even on PP. Almost all goals they score are results of either stealing the puck in the middle or offensive zone or fast counter attacks from their zone.

Michkov is one of the few their players who can pass, and he really can pass and rarely does mistakes. Playmaking is the part of his talent people currently underrate.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Had 3 points in 2 games, but the last one was pointless for him. Overall you should pity him, watching Sochi is really painful even if you aren't the team's fan. 2/3 of its roster are low IQ or MHL players, it's just mind-boggling how many bad decisions on the ice they make. They can't control the puck in the offensive zone long enough to create scoring chances, even on PP. Almost all goals they score are results of either stealing the puck in the middle or offensive zone or fast counter attacks from their zone.

Michkov is one of the few their players who can pass, and he really can pass and rarely does mistakes. Playmaking is the part of his talent people currently underrate.
Michkov also looks very small and as a result is easily separated from the puck by bigger players. If there is a choice between making a low chance shot and passing to an open teammate he often goes with the former.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Michkov also looks very small and as a result is easily separated from the puck by bigger players. If there is a choice between making a low chance shot and passing to an open teammate he often goes with the former.

Not always, I mean both separating and shots instead of passes. After that 10 shot game he sometimes passes too much, especially given the chance of getting the puck back is pretty low.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Strong 1st period but zero points and Sochi down 0:2 nevertheless (so same story). He could have one assists and one goal after the first 3 shifts.

Is playing on the first line today.

Reactions: Czechboy

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
1st period vs Dinamo shows exactly what I say. Two great passes from Michkov but his teammates can't score. Rashevsky makes just one similar pass, and Dinamo scores.

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Yes, his shot selection is a work in progress, but it has been much better in his time in the KHL. Secondly, he is small but to say he is easily separated from the puck is totally misleading. He has been arguably Sochi's strongest player on the cycle, and has held onto pucks alot, which has created chances. He has not looked rushed or bullied at all.

He will never be Carlsson or Fantilli in this regard, but to say it is a weakness it not true at all

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Michkov also looks very small and as a result is easily separated from the puck by bigger players.
For as light as he is, he's actually pretty strong on the puck and surprisingly tough to knock off.

Can't win a board battle to save his life though.

Seems to have good lower body strength, but not upper body.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
For as light as he is, he's actually pretty strong on the puck and surprisingly tough to knock off.

Can't win a board battle to save his life though.

Seems to have good lower body strength, but not upper body.

And he still wins those battles often, not because of physicalty but quick hands...

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I'm starting to think Michkov might free fall down this draft. 1) His draft year is basically a waste stats-wise, 2) he's very small, and 3) Russian.

He's still a first rounder but I think there's a chance he drops out of the top 10, especially given what we saw with Shane Wright. If a 6'1 Canadian centerman can drop from 1 to 4, Michkov could certainly drop from 4 to 10.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Stick checking, yes, I mean physically he can't beat guys along the board with brute strength

Er well. alright.:huh:
I mean Gretzky couldn't win a physical board battle to save his life. But great players find ways around it.

If anything, a 148 lbs kid fighting board battles with grown men and making it out alive is exceedingly impressive and a testament to a very high hockey IQ. And he's only gonna get stronger.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm starting to think Michkov might free fall down this draft. 1) His draft year is basically a waste stats-wise, 2) he's very small, and 3) Russian.

He's still a first rounder but I think there's a chance he drops out of the top 10, especially given what we saw with Shane Wright. If a 6'1 Canadian centerman can drop from 1 to 4, Michkov could certainly drop from 4 to 10.

Right, but wasn't Wrights free fall due to a serious lack of on-ice effort his draft year and horrible combine interviews?

Reactions: Czechboy

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Er well. alright.:huh:
I mean Gretzky couldn't win a physical board battle to save his life. But great players find ways around it.
lol please don't ever compare Michkov to Gretzky again

Right, but wasn't Wrights free fall due to a serious lack of on-ice effort his draft year and horrible combine interviews?
The irony is blinding

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
lol please don't ever compare Michkov to Gretzky again

The irony is blinding

Michkov = Gretzky!

And this is you after reading this...
"Blasphemy. Talking about Gretzky serious business!!!" :)
punch-punching-laptop.gif

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The team he is playing on currently is literally 5 mins and 43 losses.
He was on a top team but they wouldn't play him... SKA.

Having said that... KHL is a legit hard league to crack as a teenager. He was on the first line today on the KHL. Only other guy in draft that I think could be on a top line in KHL (even on a awful team) is Bedard.

From a development perspective... Moving him to Sochi was a smart move.

I assume SKA next season but could be wrong.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004

Is Michkov even going to be able to attend the draft combine and conduct interviews with teams?

I really have no idea what his personality or maturity level is like. He's basically just a name without much in the way of on ice performance or highlight reels this season to back up his high ranking. I'm not saying he's not talented, it's just if I had a top 5 pick this year I would risk it on a complete mystery man when there are so many highly skilled players who have proven their talent this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad