RW Liam Greentree - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2024, 26th, LA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
How is Will Cuyllle for a comparison? @GermanSpitfire?
Completely different. Cuylle is a natural born leader and role player that likes to play with an edge. A gritty two way forward.

Greentree on the other side is "just" a scorer. At least for now he is. Maybe the rest will come but he's not necessarily what I'd call a two way forward and he doesn't really use his size for more than winning puck battles either. He's got much better hands and vision than Cuylle though.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Both are power forwards that played for the Windsor Spitfires. Nothing against Will but he lacks the IQ, hands in tight and the anticipation that Greentree has, though Cuylle is probably the better skater and although Greentree’s shot is coming along great this season, Cuylle probably has him beat there. The best comparable for Greentree is probably James Van Reimsdyk with how good he is in front of the net and in the corners while also having the mental fortitude to do more than just be a body in front although that’s Greentree’s bread and butter.

Greentree has legitimate potential to be a top-6 powerforward that can create offense himself from time to time, I absolutely love what Cuylle brings but he is more of a passenger on the teams he’s played for.

I saw Windsor play a few times before Greentree returned (as Cristoforo was also rated pot. 1st Rd) and it was quite stark how much Greentree's offensive impact stood out.

With his size & IQ he's an offensive threat anytime he's in the O-zone. If the puck gets turned over on his stick he can make a play quickly, and of course he's always a shooting threat.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
24 points in 15 games on the worst team in the CHL. Best draft eligible in the OHL?
Best draft eligible forward, yes. I think at least a couple of defenders will get drafted out of the OHL ahead of him though. Sam Dickinson for sure and there are a few other possibilities as well.

Also, I don't wanna take anything away from Greentree but Windsor isn't this bad because they have no offensive potential. They have plenty of offense even without Greentree, just unfortunately poor goaltending, poor defense and too many turnovermachines. If you have to score 10 goals to win a game you know something is going terribly wrong. So again. Don't wanna take anything away from Greentree. Fantastic scoring pace for a draft eligible player and I get that it's tough for a young guy to bring it shift after shift on a losing team. I just don't think it makes sense to point out he did it despite being on a bad team. There are plenty of teams he'd find it harder to score for if he was with them instead of Windsor.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Jason Robertson comes to mind. And similarly to Robertson, teams are going to kick themselves if he falls to the second round.
Wow is massive praise. Robertson though played for a team with even less talent, he was also about half a year younger, plus had a monster draft year playoff run. But if scout see this comp. Greentree definitely should be a top 10-12 pick.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Jason Robertson comes to mind. And similarly to Robertson, teams are going to kick themselves if he falls to the second round.
Agreed. Robertson plays a very similar style. Their skating is far from great and looks awkward but they mostly get to where they wanna be. I think Greenway could be a similar case where his skating won't hold him back offensively but it will affect his game against the puck...which is kinda the only knock on Robertson. He's "just" a scorer which is also how I'd classify Greenway. Better skating would allow them to play more of a two way or high energy/power forward game. If Greenway can put up the same kinda numbers as Robertson at NHL level then nobody is gonna care though.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Reminds me of Quentin Musty from the 2023 draft. Greentree gives more effort and brings a physical edge to his game. Skating is pretty average and is one of the more questionable parts of his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad