RW Bruno Osmanis - IF Björklöven, HockeyAllsvenskan (2025 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
First Allsvenskan point today. 8 minutes of ice time but still, the kid just turned 17.

Becomes the third 2025-eligible draftee to record a point in the league this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

kayhud

Jun 9, 2024
I’m very, very high on Osmanis. He’s one of my top under the radar breakout picks and I could see him going early first round or late second round if his season goes well.

He may be undersized but his hockey IQ and speed leave him with a tremendous upside.

Last edited:

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
I’m very, very high on Osmanis. He’s one of my top under the radar breakout picks and I could see him going early first round or late second round if his season goes well.

He may be undersized but his hockey IQ and speed leave him with a tremendous upside.
Have You seen him play? I admit - I haven't seen him a lot. But just by statwatching, I'm not as optimistic.

First of all, he is December - born. Which means that he will be significantly older than most other draftees, and, while it may give him an edge during the season, more will be expected from him.
This also means that he will not be able to participate in the upcoming U18 worlds - that's one less highly scouted tournament for him to participate in.
His last U18 worlds were this spring, and it wasn't anything special - 2 points in 5 games is even less, that Murnieks's 3 points, who is actually a projected middle first round pick. But Murnieks is 1.5 years younger.
His size also may also be a concern.

On the other hand, he already sniffed Allsvenskan, and if he is able to build on this success, spend a full season there and score come points, this will definitely help. Allsvenskan is a really good and highly scouted league, and, lets say, 0.25 ppg might get him in to top 3 rounds in the draft.
Its also good that his U20 team, apparently, got promoted to J20 Nationel. Which means that even if something does not click in the main team, he will still play in one of the best, and also highly scouted junior league.

Dont get me wrong, he is a really good prospect by Latvian standards. We had only two top 100 selections in the last 10 years, and he definitely has top 100 potential, especially if he puts on some weight and scores some points in Allsvenskan. But first - second round? Doubt that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Have You seen him play? I admit - I haven't seen him a lot. But just by statwatching, I'm not as optimistic.

First of all, he is December - born. Which means that he will be significantly older than most other draftees, and, while it may give him an edge during the season, more will be expected from him.
This also means that he will not be able to participate in the upcoming U18 worlds - that's one less highly scouted tournament for him to participate in.
His last U18 worlds were this spring, and it wasn't anything special - 2 points in 5 games is even less, that Murnieks's 3 points, who is actually a projected middle first round pick. But Murnieks is 1.5 years younger.

On the other hand, he already sniffed Allsvenskan, and if he is able to build on this success, spend a full season there and score come points, this will definitely help. Allsvenskan is a really good and highly scouted league, and, lets say, 0.25 ppg might get him in to top 3 rounds in the draft.
Its also good that his U20 team, apparently, got promoted to J20 Nationel. Which means that even if something does not click in the main team, he will still play in one of the best, and also highly scouted junior league.

Dont get me wrong, he is a really good prospect by Latvian standards. We had only two top 100 selections in the last 10 years, and he definitely has top 100 potential, especially if he puts on some weight and scores some points in Allsvenskan. But first - second round? Doubt that.
I don't get your logic. December born is not "significantly" older than others. It's just not. It's mostly the perception because of U18/U20 ineligibility but it's just a bit earlier than most prospects which seem to be jan-apr born.

And sure he will miss U18 but he should get a glimpse in U20 which is highly scouted as well.

Not sure about his potential in the draft but I don't see him being at a disadvantage or anything

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As with most prospects before the draft year, these projections can be wrong (someone like Bruno Idzan who fell off the cliff and then some) but at this point, if Osmanis can produce double digits (or close to it) in points in the Allsvenskan, which seems possible if not likely, he is your prototypical high-scoring undersized offensive winger that goes in the late first or (more likely) early 2nd round.

Even the part about adding weight, while to most kids that age it happens naturally, is very much secondary. Strength is not really the tool that ultimately makes him successful.

"Latvian prospect who is highly touted despite not possessing the physique of a woodcutter? Not possible" :laugh: Hey, once in 30 years someone just might be talented enough.

Reactions: Kalv

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
if Osmanis can produce double digits (or close to it) in points in the Allsvenskan, which seems possible if not likely, he is your prototypical high-scoring undersized offensive winger that goes in the late first or (more likely) early 2nd round.
The problem for me is that I haven't seen this "high-scoring offensive winger" yet. Sure, even playing in Allsvenskan in D-1 year is a fantastic result, but having 1 assist in 15 games does not show his offensive potential. As well as his 2 points in 5 games in the last U18 worlds.

Plus, in both J20 and J18 leagues he was playing in the second tier. As I see it, if he is such an offensive threat, he should have produced better than 1 ppg in J18 Region, which is a tier bellow Nationel and where other players are at most a year older than him. His results in J20 were much better, but there is still not a single drafted player found in the top 100 scorers of this league.

If we compare him to Brandsegg-Nygard, he already had 3 points in twice less games in Allsvenskan at the same age, plus 1 ppg + in J20 Nationel. In his draft year, Brandsegg-Nygard had 5 points in the WC and 0.5 ppg in Allsvenskan. All this while being a 95 kg power forward. I know that nobody in their sound mind would compare those two, but I just dont see Osmanis being only slightly (10-20 draft positions) worse than Brandsegg-Nygard.

Osmanis is yet to produce at any level higher than Swedish 2nd tier juniors, and that's not good when producing is his main strength.

Last edited:

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
As with most prospects before the draft year, these projections can be wrong (someone like Bruno Idzan who fell off the cliff and then some) but at this point, if Osmanis can produce double digits (or close to it) in points in the Allsvenskan, which seems possible if not likely, he is your prototypical high-scoring undersized offensive winger that goes in the late first or (more likely) early 2nd round.

Even the part about adding weight, while to most kids that age it happens naturally, is very much secondary. Strength is not really the tool that ultimately makes him successful.

"Latvian prospect who is highly touted despite not possessing the physique of a woodcutter? Not possible" :laugh: Hey, once in 30 years someone just might be talented enough.
I'd doubt it.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Osmanis is yet to produce at any level higher than Swedish 2nd tier juniors, and that's not good when producing is his main strength.
Certainly, this is a showcase season for him and as I mentioned in the earlier post, a lot depends on projection. Just like on draft day, some people see it, others don't. I agree that your concerns are completely valid but at the same time, there are reasons explaining more or less all of it.

Reactions: Vikz

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
He did stand out at the U18s and I remember going "oh, this guy's good" while being fixated on every move Murnieks made who was centering him.

But I never realized he's so highly tauted by some. It does make sense, but 2nd round to early 3rd would be more realistic.

I can't wait to see how he does in Allsvenskan. Especially after reading this thread.

kayhud

Jun 9, 2024

I've seen most of Osmanis' games in Allsvenskan. Even with limited ice time last season, he stood out for his agility, skating, and speed, and made plenty of creative passes and plays in the offensive zone. Yes, he's no Brandsegg Nygard at the moment, certainly not with physicality, but that tantalizing upside is there even if he has a lower floor. I wasn't saying I think he's already in that 1st/2nd pick range, I have him ranked in the 120s, I was saying it's more than possible with his upside if he breaks through this year. He also holds up defensively, even though physicality is still a big weakness of his when playing among men. His height is fine, 5'11", so if he can gain the weight then it might not be a big concern in a couple years.

Reactions: Vikz

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Good for him. Certainly not sustainable pace for 6 minutes per game, but a few more points or a disappointing teammate performance and who knows - he might move up in the line up. And then all these talks about 2nd round might not be as crazy as I thought. I would be glad to be wrong.
What about 8 minutes a game? Another primary assist and I'm kind of starting to get on the bandwagon.

I saw Osmanis last game - the talent, the hands and the hockey iq is right there, but he's still raw around the edges and needs to add some muscle.

It would be great if he could get more ice time and maybe some PP opportunities towards the end of the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad