GDT: Running Preseason GDT | Game 4 | BUF @ CBJ | 7 PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
same question as yesterday. How has Jiricek looked these last two games?

He's chasing the play and rushing passes.

I've made the argument that he isn't NHL ready at this stage as a prospect, but what I'm seeing so far in pre-season is below the level I've come to expect from Jiricek. Maybe the timing is off because of a drop in confidence.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He's chasing the play and rushing passes.

I've made the argument that he isn't NHL ready at this stage as a prospect, but what I'm seeing so far in pre-season is below the level I've come to expect from Jiricek. Maybe the timing is off because of a drop in confidence.
It’s his third year in the NHL though, one would hope he should be able to start getting comfortable to at least play third pair

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s his third year in the NHL though, one would hope he should be able to start getting comfortable to at least play third pair

D+3 isn't late in my mind.

I much prefer the path the Wings took with Edvinsson or the Oilers took with Bouchard. If the guy isn't ready, don't rush it. And the AHL schedule is better for strength and skating training, which is really at root of a lot of Jiricek's issues. His puck play is suffering because he is off balance.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
D+3 isn't late in my mind.

I much prefer the path the Wings took with Edvinsson or the Oilers took with Bouchard. If the guy isn't ready, don't rush it. And the AHL schedule is better for strength and skating training, which is really at root of a lot of Jiricek's issues. His puck play is suffering because he is off balance.
Don’t forget he wasn’t very happy with not getting the big league time so another demotion to the AHL might cause some sparks to fly

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Don’t forget he wasn’t very happy with not getting the big league time so another demotion to the AHL might cause some sparks to fly

We've talked about that a lot. It could cause some sparks but that can't be what drives our decision, a bad team would focus on that sort of perception issue instead of just slotting players where they're at.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Personally I'd consider getting Fantilli in the bumper and moving Monahan up to the net. Fantilli is so good with quick shots from the bumper, I think he adds a lot there. And I'm always more interested in loading up the top unit, second units don't get much of a chance.

59 -- 19 -- 91
I'm not against your idea but Monahan is also pretty good at "catch and release", receiving pucks even from his offside (passes from 91 to 23 in this case) and shooting them on net quick.

Another thing to consider: Haviland wants bumper guys to have a lot of movement so maybe Fantilli would be a more natural fit in that sense, but on the other hand, is he as calm and reliable distributor in the middle as Monahan when the team uses the bumper as passing option to not set up for a shot but just to relieve pressure?

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
same question as yesterday. How has Jiricek looked these last two games?
He offers nothing. He’s not doing or unable to do what he does well. He’s a liability.

I’m less concerned though about his development as a player than how it’s being handled by the club.

He and Denton - who actually might be NHL ready - should be cooking together as the top pair in Cleveland.

We have seven guys who can be rostered in the NHL and leave the two still-kids down.

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
Honestly Jiriceks progression / development just makes me really frustrated with Jarmo. He should not have been up and down as much as he was. I’ve seen fans say it was only a few games. Well imagine what that does to a guys confidence. Being called up and immediately being sent down. Sends a really conflicting message. Should’ve stayed in the AHL. Wild that anyone in the organization thought that was okay.

Reactions: Fred Glover

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly Jiriceks progression / development just makes me really frustrated with Jarmo. He should not have been up and down as much as he was. I’ve seen fans say it was only a few games. Well imagine what that does to a guys confidence. Being called up and immediately being sent down. Sends a really conflicting message. Should’ve stayed in the AHL. Wild that anyone in the organization thought that was okay.

I don't agree. I've seen plenty of prospects do well with split time in the AHL and NHL. There is a whole category of player that goes up and down. In itself it is not a conflicting message.

In Jarmo's telling, in that same conversation where he told Jiricek to get a place, he made clear that he would be sent down at times. Jarmo could be telling the truth there, everything I've seen from Allan Walsh and Jiricek is that they would complain anyways and try to manufacture a grievance.

Or maybe he wasn't clear to Jiricek, or maybe Jiricek misunderstood, not being great with English. Who knows. Either way, the kid is responsible for preparing himself and not letting his ego get in the way.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't see up and down as being bad, in some regards it helps you show what you are working towards as the leagues are very different. Walsh being in his ear doesn't help though, trying to play to the ego of a kid that's almost always been better than his peers and trying to get him that NHL money now instead of taking it slow so he's ready and really gets paid

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
I don't agree. I've seen plenty of prospects do well with split time in the AHL and NHL. There is a whole category of player that goes up and down. In itself it is not a conflicting message.

In Jarmo's telling, in that same conversation where he told Jiricek to get a place, he made clear that he would be sent down at times. Jarmo could be telling the truth there, everything I've seen from Allan Walsh and Jiricek is that they would complain anyways and try to manufacture a grievance.

Or maybe he wasn't clear to Jiricek, or maybe Jiricek misunderstood, not being great with English. Who knows. Either way, the kid is responsible for preparing himself and not letting his ego get in the way.
Fair enough. Everyone has their own opinions. Just hope Jiricek can get back on track is all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad