GDT: Running Preseason GDT | Game 2 09/25/24 | STL @ CBJ | 7 PM EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He seems to be past that point in my opinion.

My development philosophy is that you put prospects in the AHL largely so they can develop in a situation where they're not the worst players on the ice, or where they are slightly better than most of the players around them. They'll get more touches and more confidence that way. Mateychuk looks like he's already going to have those advantages in the NHL with the puck on his stick, and possibly be one of our better players right now. Am I crazy for thinking Mateychuk is already at that point?

Werenski - Mateychuk
Provorov - Severson
Harris/Christiansen - Gudbranson
#7:Harris/Christiansen
#8:JJ

Injuries will come soon, don't worry.
Can Mateychuk play on RS? It is important.
See how in other games but he looked better than Jiříček.
Or maybe:

Werenski, Severson
Provorov, Harris
Christiansen, Gudbranson

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yes. He's done it many times.

Vogelhuber was just praising how well Mateychuk played on the right side for Cleveland in the playoffs.
That's great. So, if we remember how Werenski and Boqvist had great chemistry I think Mateychuk will able to play with Zach so good minimum too. Hmm, but what with Jiříček in that case. Harris and Christiansen cannot be send to the AHL without waiver. But after the last season I am not sure Jiříček would want to return to Cleveland.

Reactions: majormajor

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
to be fair to the 'organization' (meaning the new guy in charge of hockey ops + new coach, in this instance), they inherited a relationship that the previous two guys (a GM who didn't communicate clearly to the player, and a coach who refused to use him) had utterly soured.

This is an important point. We have multiple guys who the new regime needs to repair relationships with. Do we have a few petulant jerks on the roster or do we have some reasonable people who were jerked around or misled or whatever by the previous group? I don’t know the answer, but the Wad and font office executive wunderkind Rick Nash better figure that out quickly.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's great. So, if we remember how Werenski and Boqvist had great chemistry I think Mateychuk will able to play with Zach so good minimum too. Hmm, but what with Jiříček in that case. Harris and Christiansen cannot be send to the AHL without waiver. But after the last season I am not sure Jiříček would want to return to Cleveland.

Jiricek won't be happy about getting sent back, I'm sure. The question is whether that attitude should have any effect on the club's decisions.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Jiricek won't be happy about getting sent back, I'm sure. The question is whether that attitude should have any effect on the club's decisions.
Jiříček can ask for a trade. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, although if they send him to Cleveland, I hope he would have enough sense to go there and work on fixing his weaknesses.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jiříček can ask for a trade. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, although if they send him to Cleveland, I hope he would have enough sense to go there and work on fixing his weaknesses.

Of course he and his agent can make demands. I'm saying that a smart organization isn't going to be swayed by that. Trade requests are very common across the league. They're more likely to become public if the agent thinks that the org can be manipulated. You have to be tough about this sort of thing or you'll just get walked over.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Jiricek looked good on a badly outmatched lineup against Buffalo . He will be in the top 4 . Mateychuk is definitely one of our top 4 defenseman , right now … I think he’s going to make it hard on Don to send him down , when clearly that was the plan coming into camp .

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I can't believe we are in a situation with our defense we are going to have to make some tough decisions soon. Mateychuk looks ready ready and I know its preseason but Provorov looked great out there (then again its a contract year for him) and all the other dmen showing some flashes out there (except for the babysitter JJ). I think Mateychuk is ready to come into the league. I know its preseason but I am feeling something right now with him like its time. It seems like this is going to be a situation where we hold 2 scratch Dmen at the start of the season

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
the very reason why AHL time is good for development is why both guys needed more defined roles + higher ice time last year in the NHL in my eyes.

it's really hard for young players to get used to NHL game speed when you're sitting on the bench for long stretches. combine that with a minimal number of shifts, and that leads to them overthinking and forcing things when they're out there, as they try to make the most of their ice time.

that's why the AHL is a good place for development – because skill guys can get acclimated to playing a faster + tougher game, and learn shift-to-shift how to make their game work within that environment.

the FO's initial decision (deciding they were both NHL players) may have been a poor one, but pascal's utter refusal to try to set them up for success was the bigger issue. young skill players simply have to be able to make mistakes in order to grow.

rather than letting them make mistakes, or giving them consistent roles, he tried to hide them away on the bench and instead ride sean kuraly and justin danforth to the eastern conference's worst record.

even brad larsen – a guy who embodies the peter principle – understood the assignment better than pascal did. that's why kent johnson looked awesome as a rookie, and patrik laine played the best hockey of his career in 22-23. with vincent, they looked like the two of the worst players in the league. even johnny had a career-worst season under vincent.

i'm not sure if it was fear or incompetence – or if it was a youth thing or simply a skill player thing – but pascal was simply not fit to coach last year's roster.

'the guys he played' in those situations – jenner, kuraly, danforth, provorov, gudbranson, severson and so on – were all basically getting double shifted for an entire third period every single night, and being told to simply rim the puck out and sprint to the bench for minutes at a time.

if they failed pascal vincent, it was a product of pascal's own choice to absolutely gas the hell out of those guys by playing them that much that late in a game. there were nights where kuraly and jenner in particular were playing 10+ minutes in the third period alone.

it's a recipe for failure, and the only thing on the menu in pascal's kitchen every night during his tenure here.

my expectation is that both jiricek and kj will thrive under dean evason, seeing as he is an actual honest-to-god NHL head coach who understands the value of learning mistakes and knows how to get a roster to be more than the sum of its parts.
I'll disagree that KJ and Jiricek would have been better served playing in the NHL last year.

Maybe Larsen understood better whatever this assignment was, and Laine and KJ may have had better a better year that season, but overall the team was worse. Last year's team was showing some improvement in different areas, but the lack of being able to finish is what made this team look worse than it was.

I am pretty sure I covered it before in another post somewhere else here, but looking at some of the situational numbers, Vincent's team out performed or was just as good as the previous year. In 23-24 they scored first more, actually outscored their opponents in a period for the year, and took twice as many leads into the 3rd period as Larsen's last season. Their inability to finish probably cost them 5/6 or so wins, so the record could/should have been a little better. Plus both Laine and Johnson went out with injury, Laine for most of the year, so given that, plus Johnny's worst career year, still there was improvement. Am I disappointed Vincent is gone and now we have Evason, no, but I can see why Vincent is already back at a head coaching job, and is beginning to possibly work his way back.

As far as this preseason goes, I really don't watch too much, or put too much stock in how they do in the games. That pretty much goes for all the teams I follow in different sports. Preseason is just guys getting themselves ready for the grind. I think the coach pretty much knows what his roster is going to be, so I'll wait until the games start counting and they play 20 or so games before making any kind of judgement.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'll disagree that KJ and Jiricek would have been better served playing in the NHL last year.

Maybe Larsen understood better whatever this assignment was, and Laine and KJ may have had better a better year that season, but overall the team was worse. Last year's team was showing some improvement in different areas, but the lack of being able to finish is what made this team look worse than it was.

I am pretty sure I covered it before in another post somewhere else here, but looking at some of the situational numbers, Vincent's team out performed or was just as good as the previous year. In 23-24 they scored first more, actually outscored their opponents in a period for the year, and took twice as many leads into the 3rd period as Larsen's last season. Their inability to finish probably cost them 5/6 or so wins, so the record could/should have been a little better. Plus both Laine and Johnson went out with injury, Laine for most of the year, so given that, plus Johnny's worst career year, still there was improvement. Am I disappointed Vincent is gone and now we have Evason, no, but I can see why Vincent is already back at a head coaching job, and is beginning to possibly work his way back.

As far as this preseason goes, I really don't watch too much, or put too much stock in how they do in the games. That pretty much goes for all the teams I follow in different sports. Preseason is just guys getting themselves ready for the grind. I think the coach pretty much knows what his roster is going to be, so I'll wait until the games start counting and they play 20 or so games before making any kind of judgement.
Laine played after concussion, also it was the second Johnson season. Plus he especially played with an inexperienced center, either Sillinger or Fantilli. I do not see any reason to critique Vincent for their play.

To play, I agree, the system was better.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If a guy can be sent down without risk, let him cook. Christiansen makes the club. Jiricek might. I love him, but we'll see Mateychuk very soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad