Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Deadline Festivities

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I know why they’re doing it, just a little jealous of how they manage to do it. He continually deals for bigger name players, never the other way around.

If we ever find ourselves a perennial contender maybe we'll be in a position to make those rental trades but for now we can't.

Also, I mean it's San Jose. Players don't find it a hardship to waive NMCs/NTCs for them.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If we ever find ourselves a perennial contender maybe we'll be in a position to make those rental trades but for now we can't.

Also, I mean it's San Jose. Players don't find it a hardship to waive NMCs/NTCs for them.

It’s not even that. It’s how Doug Wilson wins almost every major trade he makes. And it’s usually not even close.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It’s not even that. It’s how Doug Wilson wins almost every major trade he makes. And it’s usually not even close.

Probably because he knows he has a desirable location and he focuses on players he knows are already on the way out from Eastern Conference teams.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Well in that same timeframe, not even close. The Oilers are right about in the middle (110), while Anaheim (167) and Arizona (155) are way out ahead.
Interesting. I'm not sure where you are finding this does it show since the last 5 years?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Probably because he knows he has a desirable location and he focuses on players he knows are already on the way out from Eastern Conference teams.

Desirable location shouldn’t affect what other GMs offer him though. He swindles them on these trades, every time. It’s like clockwork. And it’s not always Eastern teams either.

Reactions: 780il

North

Jun 25, 2009
Desirable location shouldn’t affect what other GMs offer him though. He swindles them on these trades, every time. It’s like clockwork. And it’s not always Eastern teams either.

Desirable location is the waiving of NMCs/NTCs thing. Players like Karlsson would only go to certain teams and so that already puts a team like Ottawa at a disadvantage in a trade.

For the most part it is the Eastern teams but ultimately maybe he's just a good GM.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Ken Holland: Gustav we have two trades for you and want you to waive your NTC
Gustav Nyquist: Where?
KH: San Jose and Edmonton
GN: What’s the record of those teams?
KH: Sharks are 3rd in the league pushing for 1st in the Western Conference. Oilers are 8 points out of a playoff spot with 20 some games left and 7 points out of dead last overall. But they have McDavid.
GN: Hmmmm. Oilers suck but McDavid could do wonders for my next contract. What’s the air connections like in those places?
KH: San Jose you can fly direct pretty much everywhere in the world on world class airlines. Edmonton gets you to Calgary Vancouver Toronto Reykjavik Ft MacMurray and Inuvik on 40 year old 737’s.
GN: ugh. Still...McDavid. What’s the weather like?
KH: San Jose right now is +16 sunny and warm. Edmonton is -30 and entering its 4th week of severe cold warnings and there’s ice fog shutting down the only road south. And those flights we told you about, they’re grounded.
GN: Let Karlsson know I’ll be wanting to room with him on the road.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Desirable location is the waiving of NMCs/NTCs thing. Players like Karlsson would only go to certain teams and so that already puts a team like Ottawa at a disadvantage in a trade.

For the most part it is the Eastern teams but ultimately maybe he's just a good GM.

You would think at some point other GMs would just stop dealing with him out of fear of this happening.

Then again most GMs in professional sports are too egotistical to admit that they’re dealing with a superior talent, hence why you see the great trading GMs continually winning major trades over and over again.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Just a shot in the dark but I could see a Brett Ritchie(or other depth fwd) +pick for Chiasson making sense for both sides.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Interesting. I'm not sure where you are finding this does it show since the last 5 years?

Just something I keep track of myself. From what I can tell, since July 1, 2013, they have been among the most trades made. Although personally, I'm not sure that says a whole lot.

ARI - 64
MTL - 62
CHI - 60
EDM - 58
ANA - 54
TOR - 51
FLA - 49
NYR - 48
OTT - 44
PIT - 42
BUF - 41
CBJ/LA/SJ - 40
NSH - 39
TB/VAN - 38
CGY - 37
NJ - 35
STL - 33
DAL - 32
CAR/MIN/NYI - 31
COL/WSH - 30
PHI - 28
BOS - 26
DET - 22
WPG - 19

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia

100%

Karlsson would have fetched a ton more if he was willing to even go to half the teams in the league. If he had no trade protection whatsoever Ottawa would have received a much much better package

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's not just Karlsson though. You look at the guy's trading history for major players, it's quite spectacular and he always wins:

Karlsson
Burns
Boyle
Campbell
Heatley
Thornton
Kane

What is that, like two perennial Norris-trophy contenders, two other bonafide #1 d-men, one of the best playmakers in the history of the league, a Rocket Richard contender, and a 25-30 goal scorer? That's insane. Most GMs would be happy to make just one of those trades, much less 7 of them, lol.

He's basically the NHL version of Masai Ujuri; winning every single major trade he makes but hasn't been able to win the Championship so far.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Jus want to chime and put on record that the Oilers would be stupid for trading Puljujaarvi. Do NOT flush a 4th overall pick down the toilet for zero value the best play is to do whatever it takes to develop him in Edmonton to be the player we hoped he would be. Like Burke has said, patience is key with him.

And this is coming from someone who sees lots of flaws in Puljus game and has criticized him for it.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
people would seriously consider trading a second round pick for ho sang?

6 goals in 41 AHL games at 23 years old ho sang?

24 goals in 141 AHL games ho sang?

The definition of problem child ho sang?

what the heck is the fascination with him? because he and mcdavid played together when they were tearing up peewee?

Everyone raves about his skill, and how good he'll be if he gets over his attitude, but he doesn't even have the numbers to warrant those thoughts. His OHL career was okay, his AHL career is average at best for his draft spot, and his NHL career is 53 games on an NHL team that's been struggling for talent but STILL refuses to dress him.

a 7th round pick is too much for this guy.

and, he has to clear waivers next year. Whoever trades for him is guaranteeing him a roster spot next year. So far, he has not shown enough to warrant that guarantee.

I am ok with trading something like Kassian for him because it frees up 2 mill that we are paying for a 4th line player. I would not trade a 2nd or 3rd for him

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
If anyone is super hungry for a sketchy rumor already-

I have zero familiarity with this guy, but perused his twitter, doesn't look like a rumor monger by trade, but by that same token doesn't appear to have inside sources, oh and it looks like Eklund conveniently jumped on the bandwagon 12 mins later.

The return in his article is underwhelming says TOR trades Hainsey to CGY for Andrew Neilsen, then TOR trades Nielsen, Brown, and a 2nd for Nurse.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If anyone is super hungry for a sketchy rumor already-

I have zero familiarity with this guy, but perused his twitter, doesn't look like a rumor monger by trade, but by that same token doesn't appear to have inside sources, oh and it looks like Eklund conveniently jumped on the bandwagon 12 mins later.

The return in his article is underwhelming says TOR trades Hainsey to CGY for Andrew Neilsen, then TOR trades Nielsen, Brown, and a 2nd for Nurse.

That trade would make Chia proud. It would mean that his apprentice had indeed learned the ways of the farce. (And yes the word is farce rather than force.)

Reactions: Canada Drai

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Russell + Bear + 2020 2nd for Tyler Toffoli

Jesse Puljujarvi for Pavel Zacha

Matthew Benning for Connor Brown

Sign Zuccarello 5.5 x 5

Sign Chiasson 1.75 x 2

Draisaitl - McDavid - Toffoli
Brown - Nuge - Zuccarello
Khaira - Zacha - Chiasson
Lucic - Cave - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Sekera
Gravel - Persson

Koskinen
Stolarz

Marody, Benson, Jones, or Bouchard could all step in if needed.

Thoughts?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Dreger on 1260:

Chiasson isn't going to be moved just to be moved. The Oilers are looking for a decent return or they'll keep him.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Jus want to chime and put on record that the Oilers would be stupid for trading Puljujaarvi. Do NOT flush a 4th overall pick down the toilet for zero value the best play is to do whatever it takes to develop him in Edmonton to be the player we hoped he would be. Like Burke has said, patience is key with him.

And this is coming from someone who sees lots of flaws in Puljus game and has criticized him for it.

I agree but if you can get rid of Lucic without retention for the cost of JP, that would be pretty hard to pass up.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Dreger on 1260:

Chiasson isn't going to be moved just to be moved. The Oilers are looking for a decent return or they'll keep him.
As they should, he's definitely a serviceable bottom 6 forward who can be elevated if necessary and can contribute on the PP. Even if he isn't producing, he isn't a detriment. He's also cheap which is what we need.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFuhryous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad