Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Oilers are on an off day. Perhaps we see a recall that tips their hand, but I've seen speculation that Vinny Desharnais broke a finger in the fight with Josh Manson last night. If Desharnais were to miss some time, do we play Troy Stetcher, replacing a RHD for a RHD? Or do we insert Phillip Broberg, and get him some reps and take another look?

---

Last R&P thread is here.

Last few posts:

I f***in love Kool aid

Jack Campbell with another shutout tonight. 29 shots against this time.

Up to a .920 SV% on the season. He's the best player on the Condors and it's not even close.

Looks like he got his confidence back. He hired some sort of life coach too

The bandwagon is full of it (poison too).

It’s the “we are all Canucks” flavour

This is what they need to do, sign undrafted UFA's. Go hard for a guy like Graf out of Quinnipiac to replenish the cupboards.

What color does that taste like? :D

Will be good depth for our ECHL team.
He played with Wanner in the WHL last year.

Wish the best for the guy, I really do, as he seems like a solid human. The last 18 months must have been pretty terrible for him on a personal level.

That being said, I still can't see any way whatsoever that we don't buy him out this offseason. Even if you think he can come back and be a 1B next year, a buyout saves you 3.9 million in cap year next. You can get a 1B for less than 3.9 on the open market. Admittedly, that number goes down to 2.7 and 2.4 in the subsequent 2 years, but I would still guess that you can get a 1B for less than 2.4. I actually think Rodrigue likely gives you the same level of tending next year as Campbell would, and he'll be around $1M/year on a 2 year deal, or something like that. Their stats in the AHL are essentially the same, and OR is 24 next year, rather than Campbell at 32, so OR should at least in theory have some further improvement in his game.

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't buyout Campbell, sign a veteran backup, and then try out OR in the preseason to see what he has.

He put some very good numbers, might have something here, low risk depth for sure.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not sure if it matters but the Condors are in Calgary for games against the Wranglers on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Oilers play Tuesday and Thursday before heading out on the road. Maybe we see a Broberg call up before the Oilers head out to Ontario.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'd play Stecher since he's a RD. This is a blessing in disguise since it gives us a chance to see what Stetcher can do and gives Vinny a rest.

I'm glad Campbell is destroying the AHL now. I wouldn't buy him out this summer. If it weren't for Pickard being fantastic in the NHL, Campbell would probably be up here playing fairly decent.

Not too excited for another university goalie since they never pan out.. But I'd be happy to be wrong

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Literally the exact scenario that we acquired Stetcher for. He's also a RHD. Desharnais is a RHD. Broberg is a LHD.

Seems pretty clear.

Yeah, people don't need to figure out a way to get Broberg up. We just traded for a RHS right D last week to play in case of injury, especially to cover off the bottom-4 pairings. Then we had an injury to a RHS D in the bottom-4. Stecher is going to play in VD's spot.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Call up Kemp or Gleason.

Let Broberg continue to play big minutes in The AHL.

Stecher gets a test drive.

That’s what I would do.
I still wish Gleason got 10 games (or is it 9 games) to start the year. I love his speed, calmness and break out passes with the puck. He was really impressive in training camp.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seeing Toffoli, Walker, Guentzel, etc. all contribute is a little annoying.

Meanwhile Henrique is outscored by Carrick.

Hoping this trade turns around for us but right now it’s looking like a failure.
Could have added Toffoli, Walker and Carrick for what, a 2nd round pick more than we got Henrique and Carrick for?
Henrique is a good skilled player but I don’t think he has what it takes to be a good playoff player. Old slow, massive massive lack of experience.

Reactions: Shultzyfeelinirie25

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Seeing Toffoli, Walker, Guentzel, etc. all contribute is a little annoying.

Meanwhile Henrique is outscored by Carrick.

Hoping this trade turns around for us but right now it’s looking like a failure.

Every trade and transaction should be evaluated as soon as possible and certainly not once the assets traded for or signed have concluded their time with the team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Could have added Toffoli, Walker and Carrick for what, a 2nd round pick more than we got Henrique and Carrick for?
Henrique is a good skilled player but I don’t think he has what it takes to be a good playoff player. Old slow, massive massive lack of experience.
The one time Holland goes against his habits of not trading a first for an aging rental player is the one time it’ll probably blow up in his face.

Every trade and transaction should be evaluated as soon as possible and certainly not once the assets traded for or signed have concluded their time with the team.
My last sentence addresses this salient point I think.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You can start evaluating slowly as the players play.
Henrique has been our worst or second worst forward since the trade. That can for sure change as it’s been only 4 games but he has simply been awful.
I really hope it does change but I think it’s very fair to say the Toffoli trade was substantially better.
Here’s hoping Henrique can start looking like a middle 6 forward and not a guy you need to waive.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The one time Holland goes against his habits of not trading a first for an aging rental player is the one time it’ll probably blow up in his face.

My last sentence addresses this salient point I think.

It’s one of those “I sure hope I’m wrong but if not, I called it” type of qualifiers.

Isn’t the word that with both Walker and Toffoli the teams preferred the other offers? I guess they should have upped the bid and assume the competing teams wouldn’t have? Then we’d have the same people complaining that he overpaid.

The Oilers had a weak bottom 6 so the idea in getting Henrique and Carrick was so that they could shore it up. I wanted to see another top 4 RD. After Tanev went for peanuts because the Flames are possibly one of the worst run orgs in the league, all bets were off. Stecher is decent insurance and IMO an upgrade on Ceci assuming the coach uses him as such

The trade should be evaluated after the end of the Oiler’s season at the very earliest. And if either or both players extend at a reasonable cap hit and term, it would change the complexion of the deal even further

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It’s one of those “I sure hope I’m wrong but if not, I called it” type of qualifiers.

Isn’t the word that with both Walker and Toffoli the teams preferred the other offers? I guess they should have upped the bid and assume the competing teams wouldn’t have? Then we’d have the same people complaining that he overpaid.

The Oilers had a weak bottom 6 so the idea in getting Henrique and Carrick was so that they could shore it up. I wanted to see another top 4 RD. After Tanev went for peanuts because the Flames are possibly one of the worst run orgs in the league, all bets were off. Stecher is decent insurance and IMO an upgrade on Ceci assuming the coach uses him as such

The trade should be evaluated after the end of the Oiler’s season at the very earliest. And if either or both players extend at a reasonable cap hit and term, it would change the complexion of the deal even further
Then resigning absolutely wouldn’t change the complexion of the deal. Carrick is a 4th liner and that’s it. Which is good but that’s a 4th to 5th rounder kind of guy.

For that 1st to be worth it for Henrique he needs to score at at least a 0.5ppg clip and resign for a lower amount. And play like SUBSTANTIALLY better level than he has been. It’s early but he CURRENTLY is only outplaying Connor Brown, and neither are playing at an acceptable level.

Resigning only makes a deal look better if the player was also good. Henrique currently isn’t close to good. Time to change, but it’s hard to ignore how bad he has been. Invisible at best, waiver quality at worst.

Definitely fully judge and make complete conclusions at the end of the season but it’s still really unfortunate seeing tons of guys who went for less having positive impacts right now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

"McLeod's not good enough to be our 3rd line C."

"Okay, we've paid an insane price to upgrade from McLeod to Henrique, what do we do with McLeod now?"

"Oh just throw him on the 2nd line and bring Foegele with him"

The logic doesn't check out.

And all of that completely ignores that Henrique looks like far from an upgrade as a 3C. Maybe he'll provide some value as a top 6 winger if they play him there. But he looks less efficient as a 3C than McLeod did. At least McLeod can skate with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad