Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I know there is still lots of love for Kostin but I think Knoblauch would really struggle to find a spot for him. He seemed really big on defensive responsibility which is a quality that Klim has always struggled with
Klim Kostin is a 4th liner. He's a 4th liner we can't use on the pk. Doesn't seem like a fit under Knobby.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'd have to the think the idea for Broberg next season will be back and forth between 2nd and 3rd pairings. 2nd when he's on his game, 3rd when he's having his youthful struggles.

I'm seeing 1.5x2 for Brown, and 3 for Henrique.

The problem is, someone will offer Brown 3. Someone will offer Henrique 5.

I can see Brown taking a cut at 2 to stay... Henrique, that's tough to give up that much....

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather see Rodrigue as the backup next year than Campbell.

I wonder if the Oilers should consider splitting up their PP unit to convince reclamation projects to sign here. No offensive player looking to boost his value is going to sign with a team where he'll get zero meaningful PP minutes.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I sincerely hope this isn't the plan because if it is it means Jackson is an idiot and we're screwed for the foreseeable future.
Jesus. I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion from JJ's interview. He basically said they're looking at other options before looking at a buyout. That's the smart way to go. Look around for a potential deal where salary retention could be lower than a buyout amount.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Who cares about Joshua and the Canucks, he was only effective in one game against the Oil in these playoffs. If the Oilers weren’t dealing with a raging flu virus and a very shaky Stu in the first few games we would’ve dusted them in 5. They’re in the same tier as LA and Nashville whereas our competition this year will be Dallas, Colorado, and Vegas.

I personally am starting to agree with Stauffer’s long-held assertion that the Oilers don’t hit enough and would like to see a priority put on physicality when it comes to additions to this forward group.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I wonder if the Oilers should consider splitting up their PP unit to convince reclamation projects to sign here. No offensive player looking to boost his value is going to sign with a team where he'll get zero meaningful PP minutes.
My guess is we bring in a Pickard type on a 2 way deal that allows that goaltender and Rodrigue to duel for the backup spot. If neither are good, maybe we make a deadline deal.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'd rather see Skinner play 82 straight games than have Campbell be the backup. He can't play. Full stop.
Jesus. I don't know how anyone could come to that conclusion from JJ's interview. He basically said they're looking at other options before looking at a buyout. That's the smart way to go. Look around for a potential deal where salary retention could be lower than a buyout amount.

I didn't come to that conclusion. Do people not understand that responses are based on statements they're responding to anymore?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Exactly he will explore all options before Sunday and see if a trade can be worked out. If not they will bite the bullet and buy him out

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
So the Oilers both don't have a GM and are in such a tight spot, they can't afford much.

So I guess the best we can hope for is...

Re-sign Janmark, $2M over $2yrs

Try to re-sign Brown and Henrique, but they'll get more else where.

Foegele, Perry, Gagner, Desharnais, Stetcher and Pickard all leave due to getting more else where.

Campbell, Ceci and Nurse is unmovable and can't buyout because dead cap=poison forever.

Kane is maybe a trade, but I'm not sure what that looks like if it's even possible.

Maybe promote a couple guys to save money so the team looks like.

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisailt - McLeod
Janmark - 3C - Lavoie
4LW - Pederson - Ryan

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Ceci
Kemp

Skinner
Rodrigue
Campbell

And hope for the best. Quiet offseason and such.
What. This makes zero sense on so many levels.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I high any team is giving Henrique 5M. I can see teams giving Brown 2M. But why take 2M when you can take 1.5M and win the cup with the Oilers?
I think it's kind of insane that a team would sign Brown for 2m. Yeah he showed signs of life in the playoffs, but he scored 2 goals, and was awful all season.

I also kind of feel like he owes it to the Oil to cut them a break on this contract. Like I understand that's not how business works, but man, he really sucked this year, and the Oil kept throwing him out there to find his game. Any other situation, he's in the AHL by the 50 game mark.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Looks like Campbell won't be bought out yet. I wonder if the plan is to have him as Stu's backup next year now.
My thought was why buy him out when it sounds like he was getting his game back towards the end of the year in the AHL. Bring him into camp and hope it works out and if not back down he goes burying half his salary along with him. I’m not 100% how close the dollar figure would be compared to a buy out but I assume it would be close and then your not stuck with dead cap such as the Neal buyout.

• Haha

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

They should have gave Rodrigue some game near the end of the year. It's a gamble to have him as Skinner's backup but also a gamble to put him on waivers. He fits the mold of what goalies are trending towards and could potentially be a good NHLer.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'd have to the think the idea for Broberg next season will be back and forth between 2nd and 3rd pairings. 2nd when he's on his game, 3rd when he's having his youthful struggles.

I'm seeing 1.5x2 for Brown, and 3 for Henrique.

The problem is, someone will offer Brown 3. Someone will offer Henrique 5.

I can see Brown taking a cut at 2 to stay... Henrique, that's tough to give up that much....

I don't think anyone is offering Brown 3. Yeah he got hot at the right time and there are reasons for optimism but the guy was the worst regular player in the NHL for more than 3 quarters of the season and finished tied with Mattias Janmark in scoring.

Henrique on the other hand was a 20g50p player last year. If he stays in Edmonton it would be on a pretty significant bargain contract. Leaving 2M+ on the table.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
My thought was why buy him out when it sounds like he was getting his game back towards the end of the year in the AHL. Bring him into camp and hope it works out and if not back down he goes burying half his salary along with him. I’m not 100% how close the dollar figure would be compared to a buy out but I assume it would be close and then your not stuck with dead cap such as the Neal buyout.
You can only bury 1.3 or something of his salary though it’s not half. So essentially we would have almost 4 million dead cap if we bury him again.

millax

Dec 24, 2005
I really hope that next season we give more time to PP#2. I know PP#1 is extremely good. However, getting guys like Kane, Nurse and whoever else ends up on PP2 that time during the season will hopefully increase their offensive confidence.

We saw this season what happens when you expand players roles and make them feel part of the team defensively. Next season we need to start giving players a chance at being relied upon to score some goals on the PP. It will translate to other parts of their game.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
You save 1.1 of the cap I think it sent to the AHL (typical replacement value) so if he’s in ahl his cap hit is 3.9. You save a lot more room with a buyout

Reactions: WaitingForUser

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
They should have gave Rodrigue some game near the end of the year. It's a gamble to have him as Skinner's backup but also a gamble to put him on waivers. He fits the mold of what goalies are trending towards and could potentially be a good NHLer.
Yeah also I think considering the goaltending the Oilers played through this year, it's not like you're asking him to excel or anything. Just get around .900, and the team will be able to win.

I really think the focus should be on adding offence this offseason, the Oilers need to get back to the 300 goal mark, this should be an offensive juggernaut. Give Draisaitl some wingers.

Reactions: Duke74

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I don't know where the cap space is coming from, but if people think we're actually in on Debrusk, I'd really like to see them add another forward and give Draisaitl two new options. Then have Holloway and Lavoie fill spots in the bottom six. I think you kind of have to pencil in Lavoie, it's essential that they get some production out of a guy like him, give him a chance to adjust to the NHL.
Friedman already said we are in on him along with Calgary, Nashville and Seattle

He played as a #6 literally all season, and was fine. I don't think they should sign him for the money he's likely asking for, but he can definitely fill a #6 spot.
No thanks man

Looks like Campbell won't be bought out yet. I wonder if the plan is to have him as Stu's backup next year now.
I may vomit

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He played as a #6 literally all season, and was fine. I don't think they should sign him for the money he's likely asking for, but he can definitely fill a #6 spot.
I’d say he was more than fine. He was good as a #6. And if ever given a chance could probably repciate what Ceci does as a “#4” too.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Campbell's buyout is a 1.1M cap hit next year. Now you do need to sign another goalie to backup Skinner but if you go the pickard route again that costs you ~900k so the buyout earns you 3 million dollars more cap space. That's another significant player or two more depth players.

If you can somehow trade that contract away that's obviously even better but when management learns they can't this buyout is a no brainer.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would love to get Guenther out of Utah. Former Oil King who would be a tremendous add to our middle six group of forwards. I think we also need a small injection of youth on the team (Holloway and Broberg help).
I also see an opportunity to deal Nurse to them. They have 3 defensemen locked up for next season and could use a solid defender on their team. They have more than enough cap room to take his full salary but I would be willing to retain on 2 mil or so. It’s time to get creative in order to push our team over the top.
Why is Utah trading Guenther? He was arguably their best forward last season and he's only 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad