Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO

Out Via Trade: Ceci, Kulak (if we can get a quality RHD to pair with Nurse), Kane (if he's an issue in the room), McLeod (Just not gritty enough)

Out Via Buyout: Campbell

Out Via FA: Desharnais, Foegele, Carrick, Gagner, Perry, Stetcher

UFA's To Hopefully Retain: Henrique, Brown, Janmark, Pickard (if he's around $1 million AAV)

Players To Give a NHL Push To: Holloway, Broberg, Lavoie, maybe Rodrigue

Players to Target Via UFA: Viktor Arvidsson, Jake Debrusk, Sam Lafferty, Dylan Demelo, Chris Tanev, Liam O'Brien

Players to Target Via Trade: Adam Boqvist, Klim Kostin (salary retained),

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
IMO

Out Via Trade: Ceci, Kulak (if we can get a quality RHD to pair with Nurse), Kane (if he's an issue in the room), McLeod (Just not gritty enough)

Out Via Buyout: Campbell

Out Via FA: Desharnais, Foegele, Carrick, Gagner, Perry, Stetcher

UFA's To Hopefully Retain: Henrique, Brown, Janmark, Pickard (if he's around $1 million AAV)

Players To Give a NHL Push To: Holloway, Broberg, Lavoie, maybe Rodrigue

Players to Target Via UFA: Viktor Arvidsson, Jake Debrusk, Sam Lafferty, Dylan Demelo, Chris Tanev, Liam O'Brien

Players to Target Via Trade:
The bodies are still warm!

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I think realistically the guys they move on from / lose through natural attrition are:

Ryan, Ceci (even though I don't really think he was as terrible a defender as when paired with the $9 million dollar man...), Perry, Foegele, Campbell. They can't, nor will, gut their roster. Nurse would be at the top of the list to move on from but what moron GM is going to take his albatross contract on? Besides which, Broberg stabilized him. A f***ing rookie had to come in and settle a 10+ year vet down. Unf***ingbelievable but there it is.

Mcleod is another guy to move on from, but you need another burner WITH A HEARTBEAT. Someone with speed, because they can't keep icing a vet laden lineup with all these creaky, leathery old vets limping into their golden handshake years. Which makes me think, regrettably, they will stick with him. Battle of the Blades might be too harsh for this guy. FFS.

They need, absolutely need to stick with Broberg. Let him have his growing pains but the guy just came into a pressure cooker series and performed really well. Stick with him.

They also need to move on from suspects like Bourgault in the system, and I'd be somewhat looking forward to the draft except they don't have any picks until at least late 2nd? 3rd? I don't even know anymore considering how much draft capital they expended to bring in the vets they did. f***ing depressing off-season, man.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Mcleod is another guy to move on from, but you need another burner WITH A HEARTBEAT. Someone with speed, because they can't keep icing a vet laden lineup with all these creaky, leathery old vets limping into their golden handshake years. Which makes me think, regrettably, they will stick with him. Battle of the Blades might be too harsh for this guy. FFS.

Why? Name the moment we said "thank god we have McLeod's speed".

Henrique would be a far more effective 3C than McLeod

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We cannot move Nurse, and that means we need to get him an RD. He played much better with a real puck mover, but we need to keep Broberg

So basically Kulak and Ceci need to go.

I'm a bit scared for what it would take to re-sign Henrique, Brown and Henrique

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Why? Name the moment we said "thank god we have McLeod's speed".

Henrique would be a far more effective 3C than McLeod
There were more than a few moments they looked slow without one of of McDavid, Mcleod, or Brown on the ice. They play a quick game, they need the speed. I agree, I can't stand Mcleod but until you find another top 9 guy with speed who can be somewhat responsible defensively...

I also don't think Henrique will re-sign.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Back next year-
Locks - Hyman, McDavid, Nuge, Draisaitl, Holloway
Probable - Kane, Ryan, McLeod
Hopefully, but UFA's so who knows - Janmark, Brown, Henrique
Gone - Perry, Gagner, Carrick, probably Foegele (priced out).

I could see an all new fourth line. Maybe Ryan comes back to finish his contract, but I'm 50/50 on that.

Defense - just upgrade the 2nd pair. Nurse is immovable, so that means upgrade on Ceci, and there are no upgrades realistically available via free agency so I doubt we improve there.
Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - ?????
Kulak - Broberg
I'd be okay with Vinny back as our #7.

Goal - I like Skinner. I like his growth this year. I would like a more experienced backup to play with him, but if we can get Pickard for cheap again that's fine for me too.

Last edited:

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
I think you look to move out a lot of our draft picks and prospects in order to ship Nurse/Campbell away. You then also hope good players will finally take a discount to stay or sign here for a Cup run opportunity.

There's no way we can do this again with all this dead cap. Everything went right.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think that Ryan goes to Bako next season TBH. I don't see him as an everyday player anymore.
I think he stays up, but as our 13th forward. He's valuable in that role because he can play any role we would need him to - wing, center, and PK.

Just find a way to dum the Campbell contract and the rest will sort itself out
That's a buy out. Nobody is taking it unless we trade way too much for someone else to buy him out. The buyout penalty isn't too bad.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Rod would have to go on Waivers, I believe?

Doubt he would pass through, big mistake, a big big mistake, but maybe you do both and waive one after pre-season.
Why wouldn't he make it through? Teams only keep 2 goalies, and he has no NHL experience. Most teams have a goalie prospect they like as much as we like Rodrigue.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Based on the playoffs this is the makeup I’d go with

Holloway - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Blank
Blank - Henrique - Brown
Janmark - Blank - Blank

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Broberg
Kulak - Blank

Skinner
Blank

I think you swing hard for a legit top 6 center. I think you move on from Kane or LTIR him hopefully. Give Broberg a bit to see if he can handle that if not I don’t know.

Campbell buyout will be a cap hit of 1.1 mill next yr… giving an extra 3.9 mill cap space … has to be done.. Picard or Rodrigue will cost less then 900k… leaving about 3 mill in capspace
Needs to be done. I believe we have like 4 mill in bonuses to make room for.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
It was a valiant effort by the club lots of Ufa/ FA who do you keep who do you want gone . Janmark is a keeper Ryan can play in Bakersfield next year or retire

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
McLeod, nurse, campbell, ceci

Time to move on
Absolutely.

Campbell is easy, buy him out in a couple days.

Ceci and Mcleod you can trade at the draft, get whatever back who cares.

Nurse I bet you can trade, maybe you retain 2 mil, but some idiot GM will take him. It shouldn’t be possible, but I bet it is.

Extend Draisaitl and Bouchard.

Sign Janmark, Henrique and Brown, 1-3 years for them, whatever they want.

We could do better than Pickard honestly.

I haven’t really looked at upcoming UFAs to see who’s out there. For now i just wanna cut the dead weight and extend the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad