Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wheat Kings and Pretty Things, Let's See What The Expansion Draft Brings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Kraken would be foolish to pass on price.

10.5 million through July 2026. 34 years old. Some iffy regular seasons.

I think that's a tough call. Clearly if he's a few million cheaper or has a couple fewer years of term that's a different story. But this is a ballbuster for your cap for half a decade.

I think Montreal thinks they will pass on it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Say the Oilers protect Kassian and Seattle picks Benson. The ideal trade for the Oilers is to move Kassian for a prospect or pick anyways (assuming he actually has value). Why not just keep Benson at that point?

Either way, the Oilers will lose an asset in the expansion draft. Might as well be Kassian's contract.

Or they could use him to plug another hole.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
How? He’s making 10.5M with an average of .907 sv% these past 4 seasons. He’s a goalie passed his prime that went hot in the playoffs. Doesn’t mean you ignore his actual results.

He was hot in last years playoffs and play-in as well as the 2017 playoffs.

Marc Andre Fleury didn't dress for back-to-back Cup runs for the Penguins and the Golden Knights are happy with their selection.

I guess it'll boil down to who's available from Montreal.

Reactions: Beerfish

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
You don’t anoint a guy number one when he’s had limited NHL exposure.

I didn't say you did.

His small resume suggests there might be a very good player there. They lose a guy that frees up $10.5M to play with. And they have a serviceable veteran in Allen who's much cheaper.

I've said I can see why Seattle takes him. I can see why Montreal is okay with losing him. And I can see why Seattle won't and Montreal might he disappointed.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Domi being exposed too.
Those huge contracts are really dictating the protection list. However Domi does make a ridiculous amount of money.

I didn't know Domi was injured until recently but I wouldn't have objected to the Oilers buying low on the guy especially if Nuge hadn't signed.

I'd like to see his tenacity in the top-6.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
When they re-signed Allen to that contract I said to a significant number of you guys that the reason was to have Price go to Seattle. And here we are

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
It is really interesting for Price. I wonder if they take him. Works for both teams realy.

It may depend on what they are paying Dreider. If he's going there on a 6x6 contract there is no way they are taking another $10.5M for 5 years.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It may depend on what they are paying Dreider. If he's going there on a 6x6 contract there is no way they are taking another $10.5M for 5 years.

6x6 for a guy with 30 career games? If Francis signs him to that, he will have GMs all over the league livid with him for setting that kind of a goalie market.

If Price does go there, Holland has to get Grubauer.

Price
Fleury/Lehner
Markstrom (I don't care what anyone says, I think he's a good goalie)
Demko
Gibson (Yes I know Anaheim stinks but he can steal games)

Would be or are all in the Oilers division. They're going to have the second best goalie on the ice for a majority of divisional games if he doesn't solidify the goaltending.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
After much anticipation this was a bit of a wet popcorn fart of a day with minimal movement. Smart move by the Rangers to snap up Goodrow who is exactly a support player type needed on the Oilers. Leafs buy low on McCann is another support guy type the Oilers could use. I like the Vegas bet on Nolan Patrick more than most here. Philly grabbed a glue defensemen at reasonable cost. Reasonable move by Sweet Lou to dump Ladd's cap onto Arizona.

Reporting suggesting Driedger will be a Seattle pick up and positioned to be their lead or 1A goaltender. Cannot see the Kraken rolling dice on Price and most especially with full restriction on flipping him. My thinking is Seattle builds around defence, bets more on younger versus older and expensive. Take a few big name/contract guys to flip. Keep lots of cap space to be nimble over the covid cap restrictions projected for the next two to three years.

With the Oilers one-ply organizational depth, I thought there might be a trade to pick up a better forward option from a team with protection challenges. Not to be as today turned out to be pretty non-eventful.

Props to whoever for the thread name!

Reactions: McFuhryous

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Imagine coming out of an expansion draft with Price and Tarasanko + a bunch of solid depth options.

this could be interesting.
Not to mention Kuznetsov and Stamkos rumored to be available. Seattle has a genuine shot at being a great team. Their defense took a hit though with a lot of the moves that have happened.

Reactions: 3IR

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
From an Oilers perspective, I do not like. Assuming Kraken select him, Blues are likely going big game hunting for a winger which has a trickle down effect and increases the price of all UFA wingers.

The only way the Kracken take him is if they are flipping him--unless they have a buyer on the guy--they wont touch him--2 years of injuries have killed his value

Reactions: YakDavid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad