Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
I felt the same. I wonder why they wouldn't go with a PTO somewhere.

As far as the forwards go, I'll echo what others have said here.

Podkolzin, Philp and Lavoie have all played well enough to earn a spot. But Ryan has also earned a spot on the opening night roster, and McDrai seem to love Perry too much to let him go.

I don't want to risk Podkolzin or Lavoie on waivers. Let Philp get big minutes on a line with Savoie. Let him be the first call-up during an injury, or when someone just can't hack it anymore.

It's nice to have a couple forward prospect call-ups to be excited about. Jarventi could join that discussion too if healthy.

I'd also sign Stecher for 900k and demote Brown.
Stecher is already signed for 785k x 2.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm surprised the pining for Deangelo hasn't gained some steam again.

He had 3 assists and was +6 in his first KHL game haha.
Two more assists today, but they were upset by Nail Yakupov's Kunlun Red Star.

Nobody is surprised that Deangelo is putting up points. He's a good hockey player.

Reactions: McDoused

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Which means he must be a colossal D-Bag for no NHL team to want him.
Or a perceived reputation holds more value to a team than what he can potentially bring to the table for the team.

It's not like he's had a difficult time getting chances. Carolina brought him back twice. And now he's playing with their top prospect in Russia.

Do want good personalities or do you want good players?

On The Prowl

Mar 13, 2024
Or a perceived reputation holds more value to a team than what he can potentially bring to the table for the team.

It's not like he's had a difficult time getting chances. Carolina brought him back twice. And now he's playing with their top prospect in Russia.

I'm sure NHL teams have a ton of complete jerks, to me this just means that DeAngelo has a reputation he has built up of being even worse than the typical ones. I am sure we havent heard the full story of just how bad he is in the locker room.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They probably asked Nurse/McDavid/Drai if they wanted DeAngelo and the response maybe was lukewarm.

Nurse knows him.

If you really wanted to go down this route Barrie is a similar kind of player who is extremely well liked in the room and plugs in no fuss, might as well have just done that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Two more assists today, but they were upset by Nail Yakupov's Kunlun Red Star.

Nobody is surprised that Deangelo is putting up points. He's a good hockey player.
I disagree that he is good. Being successful in the KHL isn't that big a deal. The Oilers have taken on the label of accepting anyone to play whether it was anti-vaxers or Kane after his issues with the team or Perry after his rumored issues. Imo we would have offered DeAngelo a deal in a second if the truth of him is that he was a great player that was avoided just because he was a jerk

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Both. I like to talk to guys at OHL games. Not about this player specifically, but last year I had this discussion with one scout, and one teams director of player development.

Locker room culture is everything. Teams that win, have everyone on the same page. You can even see it in Edmonton's locker room on this last playoff run. That group was like a family. The more Zach Hyman's you can have in your room/on the ice, the better.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I disagree that he is good. Being successful in the KHL isn't that big a deal. The Oilers have taken on the label of accepting anyone to play whether it was anti-vaxers or Kane after his issues with the team or Perry after his rumored issues. Imo we would have offered DeAngelo a deal in a second if the truth of him is that he was a great player that was avoided just because he was a jerk
The fact that its coming out now that there are concerns about their right side from management means they thought they had the guys to mitigate needing a deangelo which looks like was the wrong decision.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I havent watched a single pre season game but I am hearing good things about RHD Philp.
Here is an example...

When you get a writeup in the Cold Lake Sun thats really a sign you are turning some heads. ;)

Philp's comeback story forcing Edmonton Oilers to take notice

He has shown a good amount of skill, hockey IQ and he's looked fast out there. You would've never guessed that he hasn't been in hockey for over a year based on watching him. He looks the part of a NHL depth player.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The fact that its coming out now that there are concerns about their right side from management means they thought they had the guys to mitigate needing a deangelo which looks like was the wrong decision.
Part of that is that management didn't think Deangelo, Schultz or Shattenkirk were slam dunk solutions themselves, but really just as much of a project as the guys we have. I'm not convinced that there is any regret in management on passing on these guys. Our issue is that we are short one top 4 D. Even these veteran options are more suited to bottom pairing

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He has shown a good amount of skill, hockey IQ and he's looked fast out there. You would've never guessed that he hasn't been in hockey for over a year based on watching him. He looks the part of a NHL depth player.
Interesting.
Do you think that he would be a better option at #6 D than Brown?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Interesting.
Do you think that he would be a better option at #6 D than Brown?
Philp or Kemp? Philp is a RH center. Kemp is a RD. Kemp looks to be physical and a defensive defenseman. I haven't seen enough of either to make a conclusion one way or another. Brown adds the heavyweight element to the table so Kemp would have to be significantly better in some areas to take the job from him IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Philp or Kemp? Philp is a RH center. Kemp is a RD. Kemp looks to be physical and a defensive defenseman. I haven't seen enough of either to make a conclusion one way or another. Brown adds the heavyweight element to the table so Kemp would have to be significantly better in some areas to take the job from him IMO.
Thanks for the correction. I seem to be confusing those 2 players (Kemp and Philp).
Based on what you have seen so far do you think that Philp has any chance of securing the 4th line centre spot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad