Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
If a player makes less than the amount that can be removed from the salary cap by sending them to Bakersfield, the actual dollar amount doesn't matter for what the Oilers are trying to accomplish (i.e., ice a competitive team that accrues as much cap space as possible over the season).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
it's also possible we replaced a good bottom pairing D in Vinny with a bad bottom pairing D in Brown. Money is important, but it's not worthwhile if we're looking at an overall downgrade. I think Emberson can replace Ceci well enough, but Brown has a lot to do to show he can fill Vinny's skates
I don't think Oilers chose to sign Brown instead of Desharnais for cap savings alone. They obviously didn't trust VD and likely identified Brown as a cheaper upgrade over him.

Oilers targeted Brown early and locked him up for 3 yrs.. they think of him as much more than a 'bad 3rd pairing Dman' .
Time will tell if they were onto anything or if hfoil GMs know better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think Oilers chose to sign Brown instead of Desharnais for cap savings alone. They obviously didn't trust VD and likely identified Brown as a cheaper upgrade over him.

Oilers targeted Brown early and locked him up for 3 yrs.. they think of him as much more than a 'bad 3rd pairing Dman' .
Time will tell if they were onto anything or if hfoil GMs know better.

It's just for waiver issues, they intend to use Brown like a 7/8D, but having term on his deal gives them a little more assurance that teams won't pick him up off waivers.

Reactions: belair

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's just for waiver issues, they intend to use Brown like a 7/8D, but having term on his deal gives them a little more assurance that teams won't pick him up off waivers.
I keep seeing people say this, yet I keep seeing Brown being the guy paired with Kulak at training camp.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
actually they're paying Brown more than they paid Vinny last year.

But last year is irrelevant. Vinny makes double Brown this year

If a player makes less than the amount that can be removed from the salary cap by sending them to Bakersfield, the actual dollar amount doesn't matter for what the Oilers are trying to accomplish (i.e., ice a competitive team that accrues as much cap space as possible over the season).

Exactly. Anything like 1.15 or less basically only matters to Katz’s wallet

I think the plan is more 6/7. Going off the contract dollar figure, he’s clearly supposed to play at least until we can get an upgrade later in the year. But the term, combined with the touch higher cap, definitely makes him near waiver proof which is helpful for stashing him as a depth dman if we improve enough

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I keep seeing people say this, yet I keep seeing Brown being the guy paired with Kulak at training camp.

He was signed pre-offer sheets. Once that happened I think the team pivoted to moving Ceci out instead of keeping him for now and choosing to acrue cap space for the deadline.

So now they have basically two avenues of a deadline upgrade ... the acruing cap and/or using Kane's LTIR.

So that has moved Brown up a bit.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I honestly would have preferred having TDA as an option though at league min. Ignoring this past season's results, him playing mid pair minutes show him being a strong even strength producer.

And when he plays on teams that aren't complete dumpster fires, those defensive lapses that he's known for don't really show up on the statsheet at end of the year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly would have preferred having TDA as an option though at league min. Ignoring this past season's results, him playing mid pair minutes show him being a strong even strength producer.

And when he plays on teams that aren't complete dumpster fires, those defensive lapses that he's known for don't really show up on the statsheet at end of the year.

His personality is probably too much of a headache, why not just have thrown a contract at Barrie then or Schultz.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
His personality is probably too much of a headache, why not just have thrown a contract at Barrie then or Schultz.
I don't see that not being an option, but at this point in their respective careers, I have DeAngelo ahead of all of Barrie, Schultz and Shattenkirk. He even has more of a physical game.

But you're most likely right. DeAngelo's personality is the obvious reason why he's run out of options in the NHL. I just think that this locker room is quite a bit louder than his ego. Especially when Corey Perry is still here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I see Philly is trying to sneak Ronnie Attard through waivers early.

He's a rightie I was eying as a potential claim if all else failed. Kind of Brent Burns-esque. 6'3'' 210lbs, athletic, rangy offensive risk-taker and has a nuclear weapon for a shot.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad