Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Dermott on a PTO, Will We See More PTO's? Can We Get Some Toughness Too Please?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
In a weird way I'm a little more concerned about the third pair than the second.

I don't think the performance of the second pair will be much different with Stecher/Emberson there (not a good thing), but I don't know if a pair of Kulak - Stecher/Emberson/Brown will be able to hold water the same way the third pair did last year.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What does that have to do with anything? Most people thought he was a bust for 4.9 of them.
because management should know their own player the best
he wasn't a "bust", Holland and co. fumbled his development badly

but some kid (who SJ didn't have a problem getting rid of) who's played 30 games is somehow gonna be ok simply because "well, he isn't Ceci!"

It's not easy but the hole existed in absolute terms without the cap space and with Cody Ceci. You are going to find a trade much easier when you don't also have to find a way to clear cap space. I'll keep saying it: Cody Ceci is a very low bar to clear. He sucks really bad.

The team having "most questions on the back-end than ever before" is, genuinely, one of the least accurate things I've seen posted on this board in recent times. For the sole reason that since February 2023 the Oilers have added a whole top-pairing and it's legitimately one of the best top pairings in league. To go from Nurse-Ceci to Ekholm-Bouchard, which pushed Nurse down to 2D, is an immense upgrade on the team as it existed only 19 months ago. Let alone "ever before".

They had a real hole at 2RD. They'll live. Hopefully the guy who fills that hole over time is a good player. Whether that be Emberson given the opportunity or some trade target down the line.
yup, Holland did a great job acquiring Ekholm...Stan Bowman hasn't proven anything yet

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Oilers replaced a bottom pairing D, with other cheaper bottom pairing D and some posters lose their mind.

Quite comical.

Reactions: frag2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
They were far more established than the current group

Ceci- legit NHL defenseman, played too high here but a #5
Desharnais- huge bottom pairing guy, but good PKer and uses his massive size effectively
Broberg- great in the playoffs, great skater....tons of room to grow

Emberson- maybe he can be a top 4 d-man, maybe not....unknown but room to grow
Stetcher- small, injury prone, doesn't provide offense and too small to play large minutes...#7
J. Brown- physical #7 at best...advanced stats are horrendous

I see a ton of "maybes" on that D core
I think everyone was happy with Broberg in the playoffs but lets be honest here calling it a great playoffs would be a stretch. The GF vs GA results were very good with 6GF and 2GA but the xGF vs xGA were a different story 3.87 vs 7.23. Overall the possession stats were not all that pretty.

He was fine when playing a third pairing LHD role but he and Nurse got chewed up pretty significantly. So I think the idea that he was ready to take on the second pairing RHD spot is on thin ice.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think everyone was happy with Broberg in the playoffs but lets be honest here calling it a great playoffs would be a stretch. The GF vs GA results were very good with 6GF and 2GA but the xGF vs xGA were a different story 3.87 vs 7.23. Overall the possession stats were not all that pretty.

He was fine when playing a third pairing LHD role but he and Nurse got chewed up pretty significantly. So I think the idea that he was ready to take on the second pairing RHD spot is on thin ice.

It's been driving me crazy reading about how amazing he was with Nurse the whole off season. He just wasn't, that pair was mediocre at the very best in the Final.

In the Stars series, where he was legitimately good, he was on the third pair left side with Ceci. He wasn't good at all on the right side with Nurse, and has pretty much always been shitty playing on his off side.

He played a grand total of about 3 games, all against the Stars on the bottom pair, where you could say he made a legitimate positive impact.

Reactions: Fourier

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
because management should know their own player the best
he wasn't a "bust", Holland and co. fumbled his development badly

but some kid (who SJ didn't have a problem getting rid of) who's played 30 games is somehow gonna be ok simply because "well, he isn't Ceci!"

yup, Holland did a great job acquiring Ekholm...Stan Bowman hasn't proven anything yet
8 games is a good enough sample but 30 isn’t just seems a bit contradictory is all.

I agree “well he isn’t Ceci” is a dumb argument but that’s not what I’m saying. Emberson is still young and killed it in his rookie year. He kept his head above water defensively on one of the worst teams in the league. Did he not also get AHL defensive player of the year once? Seems to get it at every level he plays.

I was shocked when he was waived and shocked when SJ dumped him. I would flip if the Oilers did that. Obviously I could be wrong but I love the player.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
8 games is a good enough sample but 30 isn’t just seems a bit contradictory is all.

I agree “well he isn’t Ceci” is a dumb argument but that’s not what I’m saying. Emberson is still young and killed it in his rookie year. He kept his head above water defensively on one of the worst teams in the league. Did he not also get AHL defensive player of the year once? Seems to get it at every level he plays.

I was shocked when he was waived and shocked when SJ dumped him. I would flip if the Oilers did that. Obviously I could be wrong but I love the player.
8 games and being in their system for 5 years is enough time to asses the player...yes

hopefully Emberson comes here and is able to fill that top 4 D role, Knob knows him well....but it's a massive risk for a team with Stanley Cup aspirations

I know what the stats say, but I thought his skating made a big difference against the Stars and Panthers (in a small sample size)
he ain't the saviour...but he would've provided great depth (which went out the window with the offer sheet)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We gave up a 1st and Schaeffer (another 1st rounder)...we don't have those assets available
now,
don't need a d-man of that caliber, but doesn't change the fact we have precious few assets to work with
They certainly have the equivalent assets to that package. They can actually still trade their 2025 first under the conditions of the previous trade. I would say they have several prospects worth as much or more than Schaeffer and they do not have to move a contract like Barries to make the deal. That does not mean it would not take some effort. But they do have the assets to improve the #2RD.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I know what the stats say, but I thought his skating made a big difference against the Stars and Panthers (in a small sample size)
he ain't the saviour...but he would've provided great depth (which went out the window with the offer sheet)
There are lots of great skating defensemen who never make the NHL. In the end it is results that count.

Would it surprise me to see Broberg succeed in St. Louis. No. It seems that they will try to play him on his natural side with Parayko. But there is no pressure on him to do much over the next two years. With the Oilers he was either going to be the #3or 4 LHD or was going to have to play his off side where he was far more of a question mark. If he signed for $1.5M or less that could have worked. But he was not going to do that so he is gone.

North

Jun 25, 2009
8 games and being in their system for 5 years is enough time to asses the player...yes

hopefully Emberson comes here and is able to fill that top 4 D role, Knob knows him well....but it's a massive risk for a team with Stanley Cup aspirations

Being in the system and 8 games let them realize they needed to not pay him over 4 million to maybe be a top four d man.

He’s even more of a question mark than Emberson.

Not sure why people are crying about a player who very much didn’t want to be here and ensured he wouldn’t be.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I know you like to have massive meltdowns without all the facts- but have you looked at Stetcher's metrics last year? There will be posters on here say "but he played on Arizona"- which just screams they dont understand how underlying numbers work. Stetcher, admittedly in a small sample size of just 49 minutes, paired really well with Nurse. There is potential there as Stetcher is good at the things Nurse is not. I also think Emberson will surprise. These D men being tries out haven't even played with an NHL team in front of them this preseason, hell, not even an NHL D partner. These first 4 games should not be used as any sort of assessment. To me, it feels like they just needed bodies to play while the regulars waited. I'm hoping we now start to see actual pairs and how they look together
Sorry man I just don't have as much faith in Stecher as you and others do. Emberson I have lots of faith in. He's eventually going to be a Top 4 Dman in the Vlasic mold but obviously not as good (M.E. Vlasic). But we can't rush him into a huge position like that either.

I'll just say I have more faith in Stecher than Brown lol

Broberg got absolutely slaughtered in the finals in everything but on ice shooting %
Not based on what inside analysts said. Seravalli said both the Dallas and Florida series opened teams eyes up to Broberg and they saw him as a very good Dman. St. Louis didn't just give him that offersheet for fun

why would they trade O'Reilly or Savoie? that just acquired them

Oilers desperately need young players on cheap contracts to produce
O'Reilly and Savoie aren't going anywhere unless a top pairing Dman is available

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
why would they trade O'Reilly or Savoie? that just acquired them

Oilers desperately need young players on cheap contracts to produce
Well, they traded Schaefer who they had just drafted to acquire Ekholm so don't see why it can't happen again. O'Reilly actually might be more valuable than a late 1st as a more proven prospect if he has a good year. I doubt the Oilers trade him but if they can find a long term solution on defense, I wouldn't be surprised if him or Savoie are on the table. They also have future 1sts and the assets from the Broberg and Holloway OS comp so they have the resources to make a significant trade.

Last edited:

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Well, they traded Schaefer who they had just drafted to acquire Ekholm so don't see why it can't happen again. O'Reilly actually might be more valuable than a late 1st as a more proven prospect if he has a good year. I doubt the Oilers trade him but if they can find a long term solution on defense, I wouldn't be surprised if him or Savoie are on the table. They also have future 1sts and the assets from the Broberg and Holloway OS comp so they have the resources to make a significant trade.

It’s so Oilers to convert Holloway and Broberg into a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Next we’ll forfeit the picks for not fondling Bettman’s bald nuts the right way and we’ll thank the league for allowing us to continue participating.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I really hope the Jets find a way to fall off a cliff.

I think that Pionk would be a great fit on 2RD and is a pending UFA. Maybe even a perfect fit. Just need the Jets to have a shitty season. He might be a target even if they do ok, odds are Pionk isn't too keen on signing long term in Winnipeg if he's like pretty much everyone else, especially Americans.

Reactions: ujju2 and Valhallis

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Some fans still mad at Stecher and Brown because they were brought in rather than the garbage PTOs they wanted.
Honestly some people (me) are just mad that Brown seems to be getting every opportunity over Stetcher and Gleason. Really liked Stetcher's game last season, much rather have him getting the first crack at the 3RD spot.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers replaced a bottom pairing D, with other cheaper bottom pairing D and some posters lose their mind.

Quite comical.
actually they're paying Brown more than they paid Vinny last year.

Vinny has his faults, but he could hold his own and he had a purpose and a function. Aside from ooga booga punch punch, I don't know what Brown's function is and he's getting shit pumped so far this preseason.

I'm wondering how a Kulak-Dermott pairing would hold up...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly some people (me) are just mad that Brown seems to be getting every opportunity over Stetcher and Gleason. Really liked Stetcher's game last season, much rather have him getting the first crack at the 3RD spot.
Gleason and Carrick have looked far, FAR better than Brown has and yet we're back to playing this "justify the signing" game. It's so stupid.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
actually they're paying Brown more than they paid Vinny last year.

Vinny has his faults, but he could hold his own and he had a purpose and a function. Aside from ooga booga punch punch, I don't know what Brown's function is and he's getting shit pumped so far this preseason.

I'm wondering how a Kulak-Dermott pairing would hold up...
Ceci desharnais and broberg combined make a lot more than the players replacing them.

And desharnais and broberg are making a lot more than the players replacing them this year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ceci desharnais and broberg combined make a lot more than the players replacing them.

And desharnais and broberg are making a lot more than the players replacing them this year.

Quite comical.
This and this.
Yes we have downgraded but we have also saved 6M+ for not matching Broberg , Desharnais offers and keeping Ceci.

Stecher+Brown+Emberson are making 1m per or less.

We didn't have an extra 1M cap space to keep Holloway in the organization.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This and this.
Yes we have downgraded but we have also saved 6M+ for not matching Broberg , Desharnais offers and keeping Ceci.

Stecher+Brown+Emberson are making 1m per or less.

We didn't have an extra 1M cap space to keep Holloway in the organization.
it's also possible we replaced a good bottom pairing D in Vinny with a bad bottom pairing D in Brown. Money is important, but it's not worthwhile if we're looking at an overall downgrade. I think Emberson can replace Ceci well enough, but Brown has a lot to do to show he can fill Vinny's skates

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
it's also possible we replaced a good bottom pairing D in Vinny with a bad bottom pairing D in Brown. Money is important, but it's not worthwhile if we're looking at an overall downgrade. I think Emberson can replace Ceci well enough, but Brown has a lot to do to show he can fill Vinny's skates
No doubt Vinny is better than brown but I think they both end up eating popcorn after the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad