Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I would rather they keep him. I think he'll be a good player but if they want forward depth this would help team now and in future.

Kakko puts up decent defensive numbers, and has untapped offense.

It is the one trade that includes Broberg that I think both teams could end up satisfied.
I don't think keeping him would be a good option if he continues to play well in AHL but doesn't get called up. Broberg camp has probably already requested a trade.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I don't think keeping him would be a good option if he continues to play well in AHL but doesn't get called up. Broberg camp has probably already requested a trade.
Players change their minds all the time. If he starts playing his opinion could change.

Players request trades all the time, and many we don't know about.

If they trade him, it better be for something good.

Reactions: Draiskull

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I am certainly on the fence to trade Broberg. Not as excited to trade him when the prospect depth on D is so thin. Move Broberg and you get a couple injuries and the bottom pair is Kemp and Niemalainen.
Gleason is better than both and we would certainly be adding another depth Dman if trading away Broberg. Only issue with trading Broberg without giving him another shot is that he might have taken a step forward already .

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I am certainly on the fence to trade Broberg. Not as excited to trade him when the prospect depth on D is so thin. Move Broberg and you get a couple injuries and the bottom pair is Kemp and Niemalainen.
It's not like a Broberg-Kemp/Gleason bottom pairing is any better.

They can probably trade for an actual NHL quality #7D that's better than Broberg for almost nothing.

Reactions: OILLIO and LTIR

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's not like a Broberg-Kemp/Gleason bottom pairing is any better.

They can probably trade for an actual NHL quality #7D that's better than Broberg for almost nothing.
Almost nothing for Holland is a mid round pick and a close to NHL ready prospect

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
If we are moving Broberg I’d inquire about Jiricek. One disgruntled player for another. And Jiri is RHD (which will help when Ceci becomes UFA in 2025).

Kakko looks like a bust to me. All he’s good at is cycling but can’t generate any scoring chances due to his lack of hockey IQ.

Reactions: Pavel10

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
If we are moving Broberg I’d inquire about Jiricek. One disgruntled player for another. And Jiri is RHD (which will help when Ceci becomes UFA in 2025).

Kakko looks like a bust to me. All he’s good at is cycling but can’t generate any scoring chances due to his lack of hockey IQ.
No sane GM would trade Jiricek for Broberg.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Sounds like Jiricek is disgruntled because he isn't getting a chance to play a bunch of minutes/PP time. He wouldn't get that here either.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Explain?

You could get a Bogosian for a 7th round pick, like I said, and have a better #7D as well as trade Broberg to improve somewhere else too.
Not sure you know what the cost is on players, but my intent was having Broberg here in case of injury is way better than the other options in the AHL.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not sure you know what the cost is on players, but my intent was having Broberg here in case of injury is way better than the other options in the AHL.
Bogosian for a 7th is an example of a trade that's already happened this year.

I'm saying keeping Broberg in case of injury doesn't make sense because you can trade him to improve the NHL roster and get a better NHL player than him to fill that injury replacement role for basically free.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bogosian for a 7th is an example of a trade that's already happened this year.

I'm saying keeping Broberg in case of injury doesn't make sense because you can trade him to improve the NHL roster and get a better NHL player than him to fill that injury replacement role for basically free.
Or you trade Kulak to free up cap to improve the forward group, allow Broberg some rope following a strong stretch of AHL games. Then trade for the same rental insurance closer to the wire.

Unless a team is giving up a youngish defenseman with some term, Broberg's value to us extends long beyond this season. Trading him for a rental would be incredibly shortsighted knowing how weak the farm system is.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Or you trade Kulak to free up cap to improve the forward group, allow Broberg some rope following a strong stretch of AHL games. Then trade for the same rental insurance closer to the wire.

Unless a team is giving up a youngish defenseman with some term, Broberg's value to us extends long beyond this season. Trading him for a rental would be incredibly shortsighted knowing how weak the farm system is.
Broberg's value to the Oilers is zero until he becomes an NHL player and that's looking doubtful. He's worth far more to a bad team that wants draft pedigree and "potential".

You don't have to trade him for a rental. He's just an obvious trade chip unlike a guy like Kulak who actually has value to a playoff team.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Broberg's value to the Oilers is zero until he becomes an NHL player and that's looking doubtful. He's worth far more to a bad team that wants draft pedigree and "potential".
I struggle to see why that looks doubtful after he went down to the farm and has played some of his best pro hockey to date.

This is a 22 year old defensive prospect. These guys earn their lumps on a bottom pairing. We did the same thing with Desharnais last season. Fast forward a year and he looks poised to earn a significant raise in the summer.
You don't have to trade him for a rental. He's just an obvious trade chip unlike a guy like Kulak who actually has value to a playoff team.
Unfortunately for that playoff team, cap flexibility has to come from somewhere. And a $3m bottom pairing defenseman whose role is being diminished stands out as a luxury.

Trading Broberg might bring a Reid Schaefer-like bump in a trade, but that value is likely lost if the idea is moving Campbell's contract to free up the cap required to make any sort of sizeable add--either short or long-term.

I don't see much beyond Broberg in this system that's pushing for regular icetime. Nothing in there that realistically takes the throne from Ekholm when his contract expires. Which leaves us dipping into the free agency market to fill vital depth. More often than not that means overpayment and broken toy.

Last edited:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
They're only trading Broberg in a package for someone that can make an immediate impact. He's certainly not a throwaway or bust level prospect. He's playing a ton in Bakersfield and killing.

Hang on to him and give him a chance with new coaches or use him in a trade for a significant upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad