Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | All Star Break Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I’d give a 1st+ for Dowd and Lindgren at 50%. That clears more cap space for another addition and they’d be here for next year too. Lindgren is having a great season and is in the wheelhouse as a 1B tandem with Skinner. It’s not sexy, but it’s the type of move that could really help.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I don't have Twitter but is Stauffer the best to follow for any Oilers related credible trade rumor/leaks etc?
ya, him, Reshaug. Bob drops more names and hints on his daily radio show, than he does in tweets.

Having good management is a massive cheat code.
Tampa has all that going for them, warm climate, no state tax, good team/organization, no crazy media. Great scouts, pro and amateur, identified the guys they wanted, and went and got them. Hagel and Paul have been great fits with that team.

Reactions: LevelingSolo

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I’d give a 1st+ for Dowd and Lindgren at 50%. That clears more cap space for another addition and they’d be here for next year too. Lindgren is having a great season and is in the wheelhouse as a 1B tandem with Skinner. It’s not sexy, but it’s the type of move that could really help.
seems steep to me. especially if Skinner can continue to the man. Lindgren is more than likely walking when the season is done, so it could end up being, Dowd for a 1st plus, as the back up goalie, hopefully never comes into play.

Seravelli, Dreger, Lebrun and Friedman are the best for solid rumors. The rest usually get it from these guys.
Those are the best guys in the biz for sure, but I find Bob hears stuff about the Oil well before the big boys take any notice.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
One pending UFA who will be a clear upgrade over Ceci is Matt Roy. It would just need to be a 3way deal with LA not knowing that he will end up an Oiler. ;)

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I guess it comes down on how we define "need." Sure we are comparable to the defenses of some cup winners, but we'd be one of the worst of that list. We would only be better than the 2017 Pens, and that was a rarity we won't see often.
I really feel Ceci is very underrated by many. Would love another D to add to our depth, preferably a guy about Kulak's level or a bit better, and someone who has a bit of a dimension to him (puck mover and/or hard to play against). I don't see a clear upgrade on Ceci, not without breaking the bank.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
ya, him, Reshaug. Bob drops more names and hints on his daily radio show, than he does in tweets.

Tampa has all that going for them, warm climate, no state tax, good team/organization, no crazy media. Great scouts, pro and amateur, identified the guys they wanted, and went and got them. Hagel and Paul have been great fits with that team.

Good management is such a big cheat code in hockey because it's much harder to build a good team with all the different variables in hockey.

In basketball, I think you could probably just get away with a front office smart enough to tank/acquire two great players and you're basically 70% of the way there to a championship, maybe even multiple championships.

Much harder in the NHL. Not sure how it goes for baseball or football.

They have that going for them and then on top of that a warm weather market with nice beaches all year round.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Seravelli, Dreger, Lebrun and Friedman are the best for solid rumors. The rest usually get it from these guys.

Thats usually good for when things are actually breaking. But some of the local guys (mainly Stauffer) sometimes have a sniff of things while they’re still developing, he usually drops hints before a deal is actually done.

Reactions: McTonyBrar and LTIR

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
seems steep to me. especially if Skinner can continue to the man. Lindgren is more than likely walking when the season is done, so it could end up being, Dowd for a 1st plus, as the back up goalie, hopefully never comes into play.

Those are the best guys in the biz for sure, but I find Bob hears stuff about the Oil well before the big boys take any notice.
Lindgren is also signed through next year. You get both at 50% and that allows more roster flexibility. Even with a Campbell buyout the Oilers would be spending under 5m cap for a Skinner/Lindgren duo.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lindgren is also signed through next year. You get both at 50% and that allows more roster flexibility. Even with a Campbell buyout the Oilers would be spending under 5m cap for a Skinner/Lindgren duo.

My guess is it would only be retention on one of the two of those guys not both. Retaining on both would mean 2/3 of their retention slots are tied up through next year as well just in this one deal, probably not the smartest thing for them to do.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
This team is really going to have to trade for expiring contracts and explore getting a 2nd retention on those.

2.4M could get you a 9M dollar player double retained. There is quite a bit of play room there.

I don't have Twitter but is Stauffer the best to follow for any Oilers related credible trade rumor/leaks etc?
Yeah, I would say so. He doesn't really leak anything but he speculates an awful lot for an OEG employee

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Crazy idea.

Broberg for Kakko.

Gives Edmonton depth at forward and a player who can potentially grow into top line potential.

NYR saves on salary and gets NHL defenseman with top 4 potential.

Edmonton may need to include a 3rd, but feel value is relatively close this far after draft.

Reactions: Draiskull

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
One pending UFA who will be a clear upgrade over Ceci is Matt Roy. It would just need to be a 3way deal with LA not knowing that he will end up an Oiler. ;)
Is he though? I don't see it, maybe a slight upgrade, but not much IMO. Let's say you could move Ceci and a pick/prospect for Roy, does he fit in well enough with the team to make it worth while with the subtraction of Ceci, who seems to a popular team member, especially in the dressing room. I'm not against improving the team, but so much has to be considered when making moves, especially the ones where people are leaving the team. Last year, Ekholm for Barrie, both great guys, from all reports. Ekholm is a clear upgrade, especially when it comes to the type of D man that the Oil needed. Barrie, seemed to be VERY popular with his teammates, so you know it was a loss in some way to the team. The year before they went further with Barrie, then they did Ekholm, did Ekholm hold them back, did the change in team chemistry have anything to do with their results?? probably not, but who really knows. At this point in the time, the team is rolling, as long as they stay healthy, and keep it up, is it worth making any major moves, the ones that might affect team chemistry? I'm not sure. One thing is for sure, IMO, it has to be a CLEAR upgrade on Ceci if they are moving him out.

Crazy idea.

Broberg for Kakko.

Gives Edmonton depth at forward and a player who can potentially grow into top line potential.

Edmonton may need to include a 3rd, but feel value is relatively close this far after draft.
I don't hate it.

I didn't realize Lindgren had one more year. That does add to his value as well. If there was some way that Campbell could be part of the deal, and the Oil don't have to give up too much, wishful thinking for sure.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Is he though? I don't see it, maybe a slight upgrade, but not much IMO. Let's say you could move Ceci and a pick/prospect for Roy, does he fit in well enough with the team to make it worth while with the subtraction of Ceci, who seems to a popular team member, especially in the dressing room. I'm not against improving the team, but so much has to be considered when making moves, especially the ones where people are leaving the team. Last year, Ekholm for Barrie, both great guys, from all reports. Ekholm is a clear upgrade, especially when it comes to the type of D man that the Oil needed. Barrie, seemed to be VERY popular with his teammates, so you know it was a loss in some way to the team. The year before they went further with Barrie, then they did Ekholm, did Ekholm hold them back, did the change in team chemistry have anything to do with their results?? probably not, but who really knows. At this point in the time, the team is rolling, as long as they stay healthy, and keep it up, is it worth making any major moves, the ones that might affect team chemistry? I'm not sure. One thing is for sure, IMO, it has to be a CLEAR upgrade on Ceci if they are moving him out.

I don't hate it.

I didn't realize Lindgren had one more year. That does add to his value as well. If there was some way that Campbell could be part of the deal, and the Oil don't have to give up too much, wishful thinking for sure.
I dont looks at fancier stats but the eye test to me shows Roy is a legit top 4 Dman. The guy was a pain to play against in playoffs. I actually like Ceci and see him as our best RHD overall but Roy seems to be everything Ceci plus more.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
As much as the “Broberg situation” is problematic…. It’s also a solution. Sure, we’ve been healthy — but that wont last forever. Hes a high quality cost controlled 7th D, if we didnt have him we’d be out spending assets to acquire a worse version of him at the TDL.

plus he has the major bonus of potentially being a top 4 player for this team next year when he is no longer waiver exempt, assuming he shows well When he gets the chance.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Crazy idea.

Broberg for Kakko.

Broberg should get one more NHL stint before making a swap like this.

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Broberg should get one more NHL stint before making a swap like this.
I would rather they keep him. I think he'll be a good player but if they want forward depth this would help team now and in future.

Kakko puts up decent defensive numbers, and has untapped offense.

It is the one trade that includes Broberg that I think both teams could end up satisfied.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I would rather they keep him. I think he'll be a good player but if they want forward depth this would help team now and in future.

Kakko puts up decent defensive numbers, and has untapped offense.

It is the one trade that includes Broberg that I think both teams could end up satisfied.
Or doesn't have any at the NHL level, that's a very real possibility.

Reactions: McDoused

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I wouldn't because there is no control of Lindgren after next year. A 1st is a lot for two depth players, neither of which you have control over when their deals are done.

I'd do a 1st if Lindgren was RFA, but he isn't so not a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad