Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Wrong Side of Heaven, Righteous Side of (Salary Cap) Hell"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And you're choosing to ignore the money he actually wasted.
No I'm not. I just don't believe that buying out a bad contract an old GM signed, signing Turris, and Kassian being slightly overpaid mean that Holland wasn't been doing his job. Has he been perfect? Nope, he's made mistakes. But let's not act like he's destroyed our franchise here.

Reactions: ujju2

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i saw a rumor on twitter that the ducks may not protect silvferberg in the expansion draft. that is a good player that can play in the middle 6.

id also look to trading for jakub Vrana

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
1. 5 Mil Offsheet for Conor Garland (1st + 3rd as compensation)
2. 2nd Rounder for Killorn
3. Tatar 1 Year x 3.5 M
4. Nuge 5 Years x 5M

Top 6 STACKED. We should have some money to throw at few depth pieces and a goalie.

**contingent on Koski/Kass/Neal trade and/or buyout
We'd need to offer more for Killorn I believe. Next years 1st maybe?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
i saw a rumor on twitter that the ducks may not protect silvferberg in the expansion draft. that is a good player that can play in the middle 6.

id also look to trading for jakub Vrana
I highly doubt Detroit would look to move Vrana. He's been fantastic for them

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I highly doubt Detroit would look to move Vrana. He's been fantastic for them
i agree, Vrana is a top 5 5v5 goal scorer over the last 2 seasons. Detroit is at rock bottom right now and rebuilding, a caleb jones and a solid pick might sway them to make a deal to help build for the future.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I got faith in Holland. He's only been with the team since May 2019, it takes time to build a good team.

He needs a good off season, no question about that, but I'm 100% not calling for him to go. Our team needs some stability, we can't keep changing GM's and coaches every other year. We've had 4 GM's in the past 8 years and 5 coaches in the past 8 years. That's no way to run a franchise, give these guys a bit of time.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We had those guys for a while. The powerplay wasn't always the top of the league.

Our special teams actually improved.

We had a top 10 power play in 16-17 and 18-19 so the pieces were already there.

The PK is more about the goaltending than anything else.

And the team somehow got worse at 5v5.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I got faith in Holland. He's only been with the team since May 2019, it takes time to build a good team.

He needs a good off season, no question about that, but I'm 100% not calling for him to go. Our team needs some stability, we can't keep changing GM's and coaches every other year. We've had 4 GM's in the past 8 years and 5 coaches in the past 8 years. That's no way to run a franchise, give these guys a bit of time.
Nobody's calling for him to go, but some people are concerned with his track record the past number of years.

Reactions: Little Fury

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No I'm not. I just don't believe that buying out a bad contract an old GM signed, signing Turris, and Kassian being slightly overpaid mean that Holland wasn't been doing his job. Has he been perfect? Nope, he's made mistakes. But let's not act like he's destroyed our franchise here.

No one is arguing that.

The argument is he hasn't made significant improvements to the team and that some of his moves like the ones I listed have actually been counterproductive. Lighting $8M on fire and then complaining there's no cap space to improve the team is a little weird.

Everyone seems to think his talent evaluation and decision making will improve now that he has some more cap space and I just don't get it.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Nobody's calling for him to go, but some people are concerned with his track record the past number of years.
The past number of years? He's been here for literally 2 seasons with no money to work with. He made the right choices in keeping Nurse, JP, signing Barrie, Smith, calling Yamamoto and McLeod, trading Lucic. He made mistakes in getting AA, Turris and Kulikov. You're acting like Holland is the only GM in the league that makes mistakes

Reactions: Proko88 and Oilers

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We had a top 10 power play in 16-17 and 18-19 so the pieces were already there.

The PK is more about the goaltending than anything else.

And the team somehow got worse at 5v5.
The team had a historically poor special teams unit in 17/18. All-time worst. There's a pretty large range where our special teams can go. Simply expecting results because of 'McDavid factor' is completely idiotic.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No one is arguing that.

The argument is he hasn't made significant improvements to the team and that some of his moves like the ones I listed have actually been counterproductive. Lighting $8M on fire and then complaining there's no cap space to improve the team is a little weird.

Everyone seems to think his talent evaluation and decision making will improve now that he has some more cap space and I just don't get it.
I'm the most negative poster on this board and I'm not calling for his head, but I will be judging him very harshly on this offseason since we have to start showing some improvement where it counts.

Reactions: Oilers

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The past number of years? He's been here for literally 2 seasons with no money to work with. He made the right choices in keeping Nurse, JP, signing Barrie, Smith, calling Yamamoto and McLeod, trading Lucic. He made mistakes in getting AA, Turris and Kulikov. You're acting like Holland is the only GM in the league that makes mistakes
You're right, he has only been here for two years. What team did he GM before us?

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No one is arguing that.

Almost as weird as suggesting he was 'lighting $8m on fire' when Sekera's $5.5m would've been on the books until this season. Nobody should be complaining about that buyout.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The way I look at it, we needed to be considered a legit "Playoff Team" this year. We have accomplished that. We now know how to make the playoffs. This year we need to be called "Playoff Contenders" and actually be able to make it farther in the Playoffs, then the year after, our goal should be "Cup Contenders". I get the urgency around here, but at the same time, we are nailing things off our checklist every year. If you expected more than "Playoff Team", you made your expectations WAY too high.

Reactions: TB12

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The team had a historically poor special teams unit in 17/18. All-time worst. There's a pretty large range where our special teams can go. Simply expecting results because of 'McDavid factor' is completely idiotic.

No, it's actually totally reasonable to expect a PP with two players of McDrai's calibre to be a top 10 unit, but that doesn't mean outliers don't happen.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Almost as weird as suggesting he was 'lighting $8m on fire' when Sekera's $5.5m would've been on the books until this season. Nobody should be complaining about that buyout.

Assuming he couldn't have traded him with salary retention. But even if you give him that move, there are enough other whiffs to make my point.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is a guy that I hope the Oilers go hard after. I would be happy with one of Ullmark, Driedger or Mrazek depending on price.

Ullmark had a 0.861 high danger save % and a 0.937 save percent at 5 on 5. Buffalo was 2nd in the NHL in goals against and a big reason for that was having a 26th placed PK and a league worst 33.7 shots against a game. He would be a prime candidate to have better success in a new environment.

Driedger and Mrazek had better 5v5 save percentages but also had better teams in front of them. Mrazek had a smaller sample size so I'm not sure his numbers are sustainable over more games and Driedger has a lower HDSV%

I can see Seattle being in on Ulmark and the underlaying analytics you’re referenced. But I hope the Oil get a shot a signing him. They need a medium-long-term elite goaltender to backstop a hopefully emerging team.

Dreidger is in the mix but I’d like more track in terms of NHL results before loading up the money & term. Mrazek is fine but this team needs a lead dog who will grow with this team’s hopeful progression.

Mertz in Columbus along with Ulmark are the two I’d target. But the acquisition cost of the former will prevent him being an Oiler imo. Would love to be wrong though.

Unique opportunity for a sub 30 goalie to play with and learn from Smith then take the reigns of a hopeful Cup contender in two - three years.

Oil need this core position filled.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm the most negative poster on this board and I'm not calling for his head, but I will be judging him very harshly on this offseason since we have to start showing some improvement where it counts.

Same here. I don't see where the optimism is coming from from some quarters, though.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The way I look at it, we needed to be considered a legit "Playoff Team" this year. We have accomplished that. We now know how to make the playoffs. This year we need to be called "Playoff Contenders" and actually be able to make it farther in the Playoffs, then the year after, our goal should be "Cup Contenders". I get the urgency around here, but at the same time, we are nailing things off our checklist every year. If you expected more than "Playoff Team", you made your expectations WAY too high.

Every year you're not contending for the Cup with mcDavid and Drasaitl is a wasted year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad