WC: Roster Talk '12 — Sweden

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Omark got cut? What an idiot this guy is.

Refuses to play in the AHL playoffs because he'd be "happier" playing for Sweden in the worlds then proceeds to get cut?

Good job bud, I hope the Oilers get rid of this guy.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Ye omark like many others probbs didnt think so many nhlers would be available, he will most likely make it next year tho if the nhl playoffs goes back to normal... But this year its the couch =P

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
I think next year many players from abroad won't refuse to play either, as it's the last WC before the Winter Games in 2014. Of course we don't know how many of the big players will still be in the playoffs or need rests because of injuries etc., but I think there is a good possibility for another tourney with many outstanding names again.

Edit: thrilled to see Alfredsson on the team, can't wait for the first game.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if a guy like Toby Enstrom is regretting his early decline by now. I believe he was the first guy to do so. Our team didn't look like much back then and his reason was weak-ish.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
"Worn out" or so. Considering he only played 2/3 of a season and never plays in the playoffs that seems unlikely.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden

Refuses to play in the AHL playoffs because he'd be "happier" playing for Sweden in the worlds then proceeds to get cut?

Refused?

Omark had to be waived to play in AHL-playoff. Right?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Slightly OT...

Anyone else thinks MÃ¥rts is a bit like Yoda? Just saw the segment from "Inside Tre Kronor", there's the clip when he shows how to push away the forward by the goal and then there's the part when he talks to Hedman about using his size but not to get carried away. His focus on the mental parts of the game is also a bit Yoda-esque.

“Do or do not... there is no try.†- Yoda (Mårts on a winning mentality?)

“Younglings, younglings gather 'round.†- Yoda (Mårts doing his morning brief?)

“You must unlearn what you have learned.†- Yoda (Mårts to the NHL players about playing on large ice again?)

“Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you.†- Yoda (Mårts on Hedman's lack of composure against the Czechs?)

"“Size matters not, .. Look at me. Judge me by size, do you?†Yoda (Mårts to Fredrik Pettersson?)

MÃ¥rts?
Yoda_SWSB.jpg

Yoda?
imagehandler.ashx

this is brilliant

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006

No Lungquest?? Wennerholm? Are you thinking he doesn't have enough upside? Or are there signals from Mårts we should go for the "best" team using our 12 best players including Bäckström or Berglund? Is Zackrisson - Berglund - Samuelsson the final nail in the coffin? Hedman is wasted playing with Karlsson imo. Hedman will fill a better role as defensive leader. Letting Hedman play offense is like having a kid go wild in the candy store. Disaster. Franzén would be more useful showing the way and creating space for the young guns on a third line.

Why split Kronwall and Ericsson? Frögren? We have enough of those players. It must not be 4-4 (four offensive and four defenseive defenders). 4.5-3.5 is ok, too. Keep Brodin as eight defender.

Stålberg is worth testing on a top line. A line that can play against top players. Size and speed. Originally I'm thinking Zetterberg here.

Krüger...the guy is pure technology. Add scoring and grit and maybe some work ethic. Loui! Oui! Him and Stålberg is no good combination, though

Ericsson and Ekholm. No need to think hierarchy the whole team through...finally I think the plan might be to use three defense pairings later on. Let's see which defenders grow and who fall behind. If one of Ekholm, Brodin or Kronwall surprises I'm happy.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

For the n-th time on the n-th board...

Omark was never going to be sent to the AHL. The management didn't want to lose him on waivers. Omark, his agent and the agent for the Edmonton Oilers commented on this and specifically said that the organisation would not send him down and risk losing him for nothing.

I am not particularly pro or anti Omark. I obviously wish him the best (as I would with any player) but I don't really care that much what happens to him at this point. But let's try to stick to the facts in these discussions (which are quite easy to find if you start looking for more than a second...).

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Watch out for an overconfident Swedish team, mailing it in and losing to a far worse opponent - Belarus flashbacks..

If we would have fielded different (although equally good) players I would probably have agreed with this point. Buuut, at least in my opinion we have an excellent core of quality but even more important, on every line we'll have players who really really want this and are too experienced and/or motivated to sloth.

I would single out 4, imo, key players, in that respect:

Zetterberg - always excellent when playing for team SWE, and knows what it takes to win.
Alfredsson - the longest serving european captain in NHL and he knows what it takes to motivate his team, and stay motivated himself, in good times and hard times.
Stalberg - tank, only has one gear and that's full ahead.
Landeskog - 110% every night for 82 games this year. Even if he doesn't produce his energy will raise whichever line he plays on.

Then we have all of the "close-to NHL" or aspiring NHL'rs who always show up in these tournaments.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
25 players are allowed!

Franzén Zetterberg Stålberg
Eriksson Krüger Landeskog
Silfverberg Järnkrok Alfredsson
Persson Lundqvist Samuelsson/Hörnqvist/Zackrisson/Pettersson
Berglund/Bäckström/Steen

Kronwall Ericsson
Ekholm Brodin
Karlsson Hjalmarsson
Hedman Kronwall

Fasth Enroth Lindbäck/Hedberg

NY Rangers (Lundqvist) ---- Washington (Bäckström) 1-1
Philadelphia ---- New Jersey (Hedberg) 1-0
St. Louis (Berglund, Steen) ---- Los Angeles 0-2
Phoenix (Ekman-Larsson) ---- Nashville (Lindbäck, Hörnqvist) 2-0

Last edited:

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
just me who gets bad vibes from this team?

At the moment, yes I got the same.

Once we get rid of the liabilities in the team I think it will be fine though, I'm only a bit worried about the goaltenders but I hope that it will be fine. :nod:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Today was refreshing, now we only have to get rid of some of the last [insert insult] players, and zäta or alfie will fix what ever is wrong in the lockeroom.

Maybe we should keep joel lundqvist just for henriks sake?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Today was refreshing, now we only have to get rid of some of the last [insert insult] players, and zäta or alfie will fix what ever is wrong in the lockeroom.

Maybe we should keep joel lundqvist just for henriks sake?

He should be 4th line center no matter what. If other players don't step up his line might even be the 3rd line.

I saw some positives after all. Lundqvist, Kruger, Stalberg and the Brynas trio were good enough. I'm thinking bump Silfverberg into a top6 role and let Kruger and Stalberg form the third line. Loui was a bit lost with his inferior linemates.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
He should be 4th line center no matter what. If other players don't step up his line might even be the 3rd line.

I saw some positives after all. Lundqvist, Kruger, Stalberg and the Brynas trio were good enough. I'm thinking bump Silfverberg into a top6 role and let Kruger and Stalberg form the third line. Loui was a bit lost with his inferior linemates.

Yea he should definitely make the team, i meant more in regard to viktor fasth tho, now that guy gives me bad vibes, even more so then persson or fernholm... You'd think mårts would prevent him from ever wearing anything yellow after the last wc.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Battle of checkingline..

Lundqvist, Larsson, Pettersson, BÃ¥ng, Zackrisson..

Olausson is great but doesn't fit on checkingline....Persson is terrible and Fasth not good enough yet.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Out of those I'd say BÃ¥ng - Lundqvist - Pettersson.

They should only play 4th line minutes/some PK.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Battle of checkingline..

Lundqvist, Larsson, Pettersson, BÃ¥ng, Zackrisson..

Olausson is great but doesn't fit on checkingline....Persson is terrible and Fasth not good enough yet.

Gut feeling is that Olausson, Fasth and BÃ¥ng will get cut. Marts likes Persson too much even if he's 14th forward and in the pressbox.

On D, Fernholm, Frogren and Ahnelov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad