Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Seems way more realistic than 1. hoping Pulock waives his NTC and 2. hoping Toronto would rather have him than Dobson. Not that I'd do it, but.... we're talking top pair RD vs. all-star RW.
All other things being equal, RDs are way more valuable than RWs. Also, TOR would gain 3 years in age (24 vs 27) and $7 million in cap space next season.

BTW, we're basing all of this on an ICB post, right? And did he ever even say it was Marner from TOR? The post in this thread just said TOR and didn't mention Marner specifically. I'll worry about it when there are shovels in the fax machine.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
All other things being equal, RDs are way more valuable than RWs. Also, TOR would gain 3 years in age (24 vs 27) and $7 million in cap space next season.

BTW, we're basing all of this on an ICB post, right? And did he ever even say it was Marner from TOR? The post in this thread just said TOR and didn't mention Marner specifically. I'll worry about it when there are shovels in the fax machine.
man it’s the summer and I’m bored as hell lmao why not speculate on adding a 100 point winger

Reactions: doublechili

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Make the Deal for Brady Tkachuk instead of Marner....
Marner will help to get to the Playoffs No Doubts

While he has 50 points in 57 games it does not seem like he can be "The Go To Guy".
I would love to see how good he is without his Two Tremendous line mates....
"No Thanks" to what he will want $ Wise.....
I keep trying to look up Brady’s playoff stats but I can’t seem to find them anywhere…

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
What if Marner is really a Glorified John Cullen?
Many stats are similar between the two.
Is this reaching?
I think Marner is a better player however he has never had to be "The Guy" like the Whalers tried to get Cullen to be.
Cullen was nowhere near the same player when he was not with Batman and Robin in Pittsburgh.....

I keep trying to look up Brady’s playoff stats but I can’t seem to find them anywhere…
Yes, This will make him Even More Hungry to be in the Playoffs!!!!
Point well taken, there are no stats....

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Make the Deal for Brady Tkachuk instead of Marner....
Marner will help to get to the Playoffs No Doubts

While he has 50 points in 57 games it does not seem like he can be "The Go To Guy".
I would love to see how good he is without his Two Tremendous line mates....
"No Thanks" to what he will want $ Wise.....
why bother , he's going to engineer a trade to play with his older bro in Fla (tax free)

I give it 2 years

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019

He didn't, but it's realistically the only one who would make sense.

They're not trading Reilly, Nylander or Matthews.
Their captain is not welcome back here.
Anything else they have is of no or little interest.

Marner would be a great fit for Barzal. One of the few players who can play the game at the speed and skill level Mat plays at.

Reactions: SI

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Aside from the Marner fantasy - Lou has mentioned he likes to acquire players he’s familiar with bc he feels it helps with the transition. So any Marner item matches that criteria. Lou trading Dobson? I just don’t see that at all. That’s his Neidermeyer.

On the other side, I’ve questioned Pulock before for awhile, however, he played very well down the stretch and playoffs last year. With teams opening it up more, the core of Pulock (the defender version vs the offensive version) and Pulock seem redundant.

Based on how Roy wants to play and having Mayfield in the fold, seems like Pelech would be the odd man out, no?

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Aside from the Marner fantasy - Lou has mentioned he likes to acquire players he’s familiar with bc he feels it helps with the transition. So any Marner item matches that criteria. Lou trading Dobson? I just don’t see that at all. That’s his Neidermeyer.

On the other side, I’ve questioned Pulock before for awhile, however, he played very well down the stretch and playoffs last year. With teams opening it up more, the core of Pulock (the defender version vs the offensive version) and Pulock seem redundant.

Based on how Roy wants to play and having Mayfield in the fold, seems like Pelech would be the odd man out, no?
Pelech is also from Toronto and maybe more likely to waive to go there. We also have a a bunch of possible NHLers on the left side, so I think it's easier to see him or Romanov going in a shake up

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Hahaha I agree, he's theoretically the type of guy whose game would translate. I'm still pro Marner for defensive reasons but Tkachuk would be insane with Barzy and Horvat
I would move Barzal for Tkachuk. I would add a Pelech and Chyrchun in the swap.

Can flip Mr. Glass before he goes UFA.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What you take everything into account....

Hopefully an option no one has discussed yet >>>. Laine >>> Doing nothing >>>> Marner

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Dobson should not be available at all, and if Toronto wants to move on from Marner, they need to look at a package around the likes of Romanov, Nelson/Pageau, and the first round pick.

But in the hypothetical that Dobson was on the table for Marner, Toronto would be the ones adding to the trade, not us.

24 year old #1 RD are more valuable than 27 year old #1 RWs who are about to make $11-12M a year (or risk losing them to UFA).

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Dobson should not be available at all, and if Toronto wants to move on from Marner, they need to look at a package around the likes of Romanov, Nelson/Pageau, and the first round pick.

But in the hypothetical that Dobson was on the table for Marner, Toronto would be the ones adding to the trade, not us.

24 year old #1 RD are more valuable than 27 year old #1 RWs who are about to make $11-12M a year (or risk losing them to UFA).
I don't see it being Dobson, but I could see it being Romanov for Marner straight up - if Marner comes with an extension that is very difficult not to get excited about that. The longer this goes into the season - Marner's return will only decrease.
If Marner is willing to waive to go to LI with his buddy Matty putting in a good word... oof it would be the deal of the offseason.

Marner would give the Leafs a young Dman @ 2.5 and 8.4 m cap space to rebuild their blueline.

Marner gives the Isles another elite talent in the top 3 and the lineup below would give them two line drivers in the top 6.
Holmstrom - Nelson - Marner
Tsylapkov - Horvat - Barzal
Lee- Pageau - Engvall
Maclean - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Fasching

Also a PP1 of
Horvat
Barzal - Nelson - Marner
Dobson
is very, very good.

What does Lou on the blueline - he trades for Chychrun. I would like to remind everyone that the Isles were heavily scouting the Senators late last season and I wonder if the 2024 1st (20 OA) and Bolduc, plus another pick could be enough to get this done.

With regard to fitting this all under the Cap - sending the extra 2nd round pick to San Jose to park some of Marner's Cap hit could help as well as moving Palmieri and his entire cap hit to recoup some draft capital.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Romanov for Marner straight up
There isn't a chance in hell Toronto trades Marner straight up for Romanov.

And it's just too unrealistic to think we can take a big contract like Marner without moving a big contract back to Toronto.

Everyone and their mom is going to be dying to dump cap on SJ. Can't bet on them taking a contract from us.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
There isn't a chance in hell Toronto trades Marner straight up for Romanov.

And it's just too unrealistic to think we can take a big contract like Marner without moving a big contract back to Toronto.

Everyone and their mom is going to be dying to dump cap on SJ. Can't bet on them taking a contract from us.
You bring a good point on everyone looking to deal cap space with San Jose, but giving them a 2nd to park some of it is possible.

Marner has a full NMC, so he will get to dictate where he goes - if he goes at all.
I know it feels like a stretch but not sure Toronto has much leverage.

Dobson for Marner - is not going to happen with Marner being a UFA in 12 months.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Trading Dobby in a package for Marner would be the last straw for me. My four plus decades of loyalty with this franchise would come to an end....

While that would be a terrible joke and worthy of an immediate firing, I cannot believe that would be the last straw for you given some of the things that have happened over the last 40 years. An active backup goalie promoted GM? A 15-year deal for another goalie? An "owner" who has no money to buy the team?

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
While that would be a terrible joke and worthy of an immediate firing, I cannot believe that would be the last straw for you given some of the things that have happened over the last 40 years. An active backup goalie promoted GM? A 15-year deal for another goalie? An "owner" who has no money to buy the team?
I feel the need to complete your list with a mention of the worst hockey GM of my lifetime. Yes, the guy who traded Luongo, Palffy and Chara. The only redeemable thing he ever did was as a Bruin when he went into the stands to beat a Rags fan with a shoe.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
why bother , he's going to engineer a trade to play with his older bro in Fla (tax free)

I give it 2 years

Could be right....

LOL So true....

Reactions: periferal

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
He didn't, but it's realistically the only one who would make sense.

They're not trading Reilly, Nylander or Matthews.
Their captain is not welcome back here.
Anything else they have is of no or little interest.

Marner would be a great fit for Barzal. One of the few players who can play the game at the speed and skill level Mat plays at.
Marner playing with Barzal?
What’s the over/under for how many passes they make to each other before neither shoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad