Roster moves prior to season opener (Emmerton clears waivers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

Strap in for this one, but this decade goes back a full 10 years. He's been there.

This decade started in 2010 or 11, depending on how you view 0s and 1s.

But whatever.

The point is that the last 4 seasons of Red Wings hockey has finished with Lewis-esque results.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

But whatever.

The point is that the last 4 seasons of Red Wings hockey has finished with Lewis-esque results.

With this roster? Not very surprising. As for that, what other teams have been that much more successful the last few seasons? Only 2 teams the past 2 years have won a round in the playoffs two years in a row.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Sheahan and Glendening are RFAs after this year, wouldn't surprise me if they both saw time at 4C this year. I'd imagine they are higher on Sheahan so I think he'll see more ice time.

Too bad Helm is made of glass, this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion. Still think they should have tried to package him for a defenseman while teams wanted him.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Only reason Emmerton got to play for the Wings was 1) his waiver status and 2) they had no other options for C.

Glendening is more grittier and useful on the PK. He's also taken huge steps lately while Emmerton's development has pretty much stopped.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Babcock has not been to the SC Finals this decade.

You want to talk about history, be my guest.
2010 - 2nd Rd
2011- 2nd Rd
2012- 1st Rd
2013- 2nd Rd

Looks a little like a Dave Lewis line right there.

Looks more of expensive contract extensions after success against tight cap during 2010 and 2011 and Lidström injury at 2012 and retirement as result of 2013 for me.

You know these things. We really don't have to inform. Or do we?

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Man, apparently waiving Emmerton just sets off all sorts of emotions. LTIR Tuesday is the day we need to watch.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Callahan, Glendening, Jarnkrok, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Almquist, Ouellet, Sproul, and Coreau have all been sent to @griffinshockey

Guess Sheahan is getting first crack at 4th line Center.

EDIT: They updated saying that Sheahan is going down as well.

Now I'm lost.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

But whatever.

Umm, OK. Scotty Bowman had two first-round exists and two second-round exits, and this with a team whose payroll was vastly higher than that of most teams in the league.

Callahan, Glendening, Jarnkrok, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Almquist, Ouellet, Sproul, and Coreau have all been sent to @griffinshockey

Now I'm lost.

The point of this affair is to get below the cap and roster limit. Sheahan or Glendening will be brought up on Tuesday.

Glendening is not even a year younger than Emmerton. He's 5'11. He has very little skill. He's not very physical. He loses draws.

What's the upside here?

I can see Sheahan, to an extent. He's younger and bigger.

Here were the faceoff
Datsyuk 39-22 = 63.9%
Andersson 54-35 = 60.7%
Weiss 43-29 = 59.7%
Sheahan 20-22 = 47.6%
Emmerton 25-31 = 44.6%
Glendening 28-33= 45.9%

I think Babcock is being dazzled once again by mediocrity

Agreed---we need to sign Zherdev instead, right? :sarcasm:

After all, he doesn't have any work ethic issues or attitude problems. Right?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Considering I don't think anyone in the professional hockey world agrees with you, I'll just chalk that up to fan opinion.

Yeah well nobody in the hockey world agrees with your characterization of Holland as inept either. So we will chalk that up to misguided fan opinion as well, fair or no?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Besides, isn't Glendening just speculation among us? Maybe Sheahan will get the job...

This is true but I read somewhere last night Babcock said Glendening will play for the Wings. He didnt say this season or anything so the way he said it made me wonder if he meant in a year or something but now thats why I'm banking on him.

Plus Sheahan is younger and could use another year with top 6 scorers minutes in GR, Glendening is less suited to that role but probably more suited on the fourth line right now than Glendening

RedWingsNow*

With this roster? Not very surprising. As for that, what other teams have been that much more successful the last few seasons? Only 2 teams the past 2 years have won a round in the playoffs two years in a row.

Conference Finalists last 4 years
Boston 2
Chicago 2
Pittsburgh
Los Angeles 2
San Jose 2
New Jersey
New York Rangers
Phoenix
Vancouver
Tampa
Philadelphia
Montreal

Conference Finalists previous 4 years
Detroit 3
Pittsburgh 2
Carolina 2
Anaheim 2
Buffalo 2
Chicago
Dallas
Philadephia
Ottawa

The four year cuts the post-cap era nicely in half.
And you can see the difference. Detroit was the class of the NHL for the first four years.
Detroit is nowhere to be seen the second four years.
Make all the excuses you want about the roster. 12 of the 30 teams in the NHL has made a conference finals appearance in the last 4 years. We're not one of them.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
This is true but I read somewhere last night Babcock said Glendening will play for the Wings. He didnt say this season or anything so the way he said it made me wonder if he meant in a year or something but now thats why I'm banking on him.

Plus Sheahan is younger and could use another year with top 6 scorers minutes in GR, Glendening is less suited to that role but probably more suited on the fourth line right now than Glendening

Its a contract year for Glendening so I assume he'll be looking to move to the NHL next year if he doesnt make it with us this year. Next year we have Sheahan and Ferraro having to come up so its we use him this year or lose him

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Man, apparently waiving Emmerton just sets off all sorts of emotions. LTIR Tuesday is the day we need to watch.

Yeah, it happened when Jan Mursak (legen...wait for it...ah who are we kidding) was waived. Also happened with Mattias Ritola. Emmerton will carve out a nice little NHL career along the lines of Derek Meech. I wish him the best but it will become very clear that the DRW are a better team with Luke Glendening in the lineup over Cory Emmerton. Glendening is a very good defensive forward and there's no question he makes the 2013-14 edition of the Red Wings a better squad. Just watch.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Now I'm lost.

So there comes THE END for this Glendening speculation. But nice freaking out about nothing guys. :handclap:

They're gonna split Dats and Zee.

Franzen - Zeta - Alfredsson
Cleary - Dats - Abdelkader
Bertuzzi - Weiss - Sammy
Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar
(Miller)

Tootoo - short-term-injury

Helm - LTIR
Eaves - LTIR
Emmerton - waived

Wayne Crosby

Jan 28, 2013
So there comes THE END for this Glendening speculation. But nice freaking out about nothing guys. :handclap:

Bertuzzi - Weiss - Sammy
(Miller)

Helm - LTIR
Eaves - LTIR
Emmerton - waived

Not a chance.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson
Cleary - Glendening/Sheahan - Bert/Sammy/Miller

Glendening and Sheahan get sent down so we can get under the roster cap, and one of them will be up on Tuesday. We didn't bring Weiss in just to have D and Z split up again. Not. a. chance.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Bertuzzi - Weiss - Sammy
(Miller)

Helm - LTIR
Eaves - LTIR
Emmerton - waived

Theyre probably waiting to LTIR a guy and then call one of them back up actually

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Now I'm lost.

Hopefully this means Gus is staying put. :nod:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not a chance.

Glendening and Sheahan get sent down so we can get under the roster cap, and one of them will be up on Tuesday. We didn't bring Weiss in just to have D and Z split up again. Not. a. chance.

Of course there is a chance. Don't be naive. They waived a center and there's no free roster spot for Sheahan/Glendening to bring up. Their spots are at Griffins 1st and 3rd lines.

Cleary or Miller have been some games at center, but I'd rather use that superior Zeta-Dats-Weiss-Andy in the middle before them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad