Roster moves prior to season opener (Emmerton clears waivers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Glendening is mediocre

I would say especially in terms of the actually role they need to play, he is better than Emmerton. It just hasn't worked out for Cory, he needs to at least be on a third line somewhere with the idea of playing some offense. Glendening is a little more direct, if that is the direction they are heading I think this is a good move.

If Glendening is mediocre, Emmerton is below average. Most fourth line centers are "average" or middle of the road hockey players which is what mediocre means. I guess we will see how much Glendening improves over the course of the year if he is given this opportunity.

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
Glendening potted a few goals during pre-season did he not? Can't say the same for Emmerton.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Teams must be cap and roster compliant by the deadline without any players going to IR. Players can only be put on LTIR after the deadline.

The sum of this is that DeKeyser and Nyquist will spend a few hours as members of the Griffins.

Hmm, we would be $429,545 over the cap if waiving only Emmerton and Nyquist+DeKeyser marginally send down for this 1st day (and then up day after).

Something else has to be done, if you are sure the rules are like that.

I thought there's still that 10% overage possibility until tuesday.

RedWingsNow*

So is Emmerton, but we've seen what Emmerton can do for a few years, may as well let Sheahan and Glendening get a shot.

Glendening is not even a year younger than Emmerton. He's 5'11. He has very little skill. He's not very physical. He loses draws.

What's the upside here?

I can see Sheahan, to an extent. He's younger and bigger.

Here were the faceoff
Datsyuk 39-22 = 63.9%
Andersson 54-35 = 60.7%
Weiss 43-29 = 59.7%
Sheahan 20-22 = 47.6%
Emmerton 25-31 = 44.6%
Glendening 28-33= 45.9%

I think Babcock is being dazzled once again by mediocrity

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Since the Wings are also in a situation of being over the cap, this may be relevant here. I posted it on the business board's CBA thread last night:

Mirtle looking at the teams who are still over the cap as the season approaches, provides this tidbit:

Provision 50.10(e) of the agreement is called the “roster emergency exception,†and it will allow, for the first time, teams to call up players that won’t count against the cap.

There are a pile of stipulations involved, as you can imagine:

1) Teams have to have less cap room than the league minimum salary (which is $550,000 this season) plus $100,000

2) A player has to become “unfit or unable to play†or be suspended

3) The team is unable to recall a player using the long-term injury provision

4) The team played its last game with fewer than 20 players (18 skaters and two goaltenders)

If those conditions are met, teams can then add players who make $650,000 or less “without any charge to the club’s averaged club salary for the duration of such roster emergency.â€

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...s-like-leafs-with-cap-crunch/article14545832/

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Helm hasn't been medically cleared since last season, pretty sure he is still eligible for LTIR before Tuesday. I also don't think you actually have to be cap compliant until Tuesday. Otherwise Philly and Boston wouldn't have been the last couple years. But pretty sure Helm has different injury rules because he has been injured going all the way back to last season, maybe that is wrong, but I was under that impression from watching the Savard and Pronger deals.

RedWingsNow*

Maybe at 5 on 5 but hes a great PKer, Emmerton was mediocre at everything.

And you dont even watch the griffins so Im not sure how you always decide how these guys are based on a couple preseason games. You said the same about Mantha.

Give the guy time to get his feet wet in the NHL, he'll help the PK and play better defensively than Emmerton. Hes an upgrade at 4C and Holland is cutting some dead weight to let other players work their way up

I watched 10-12 playoff games and about 20 regular season games.

I think our best option for 4C is abdelkader.

I hate the idea of Glendening getting this job. It's another mediocre, 03 Ducks Style player.

Babcock was a lousy hockey player so he gravitates to blue collar types and litters the entire lineup with them.

It's funny -- because Red Wings fans absolutely HATE Don Cherry.
But they've got this era's Don Cherry and he our Don Cherry has his own lunchbucket gang -- Cleary, Abdelkader, Glendening, Lashoff.

It's looking more an more like our bottom 2 lines are going to be something like:

Cleary Andersson Bertuzzi
Miller Glendening Sammy

Last edited by a moderator:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Glendening is not even a year younger than Emmerton. He's 5'11. He has very little skill. He's not very physical. He loses draws.

What's the upside here?

I can see Sheahan, to an extent. He's younger and bigger.

Here were the faceoff
Datsyuk 39-22 = 63.9%
Andersson 54-35 = 60.7%
Weiss 43-29 = 59.7%
Sheahan 20-22 = 47.6%
Emmerton 25-31 = 44.6%
Glendening 28-33= 45.9%

I think Babcock is being dazzled once again by mediocrity

The upside is making the PK better and making the bottom 6 a little grittier. He played one pro year and scored as much as Emmerton ever did in the AHL without having time to adjust and hes way better defensively.

You post faceoff stats, me and guys like Zetterberg Era watched him all season.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Throw in Abdelkader on line one -- and we've got **** smeared all around the lineup
Abdelkader has been pretty damn good at that first line role this preseason.

I find the opposition to Glendening interesting, too. What's so bad about replacing a low performance grinder with a guy who's going to be just as good, and has the potential to be a little bit better with time? It would be a lateral move in every sense of the word.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Emmerton was one of the worst regulars over the last 2 seasons, so its nice to see a proactive move by waiving him. Our 4th line was never going to be good with him on it, so might as well try someone else and it sounds like both Sheahan and Glendening beat him out in camp so one of them will be rewarded with the role. That's how it should be. At worst, its a lateral move until Helm hopefully comes back healthy.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I watched 10-12 playoff games and about 20 regular season games.

I think our best option for 4C is abdelkader.

I hate the idea of Glendening getting this job. It's another mediocre, 03 Ducks Style player.

Babcock was a lousy hockey player so he gravitates to blue collar types and litters the entire lineup with them.

It's funny -- because Red Wings fans absolutely HATE Don Cherry.
But they've got this era's Don Cherry and he our Don Cherry has his own lunchbucket gang -- Cleary, Abdelkader, Glendening, Lashoff.

It's looking more an more like our bottom 2 lines are going to be something like:

Cleary Andersson Bertuzzi
Miller Glendening Sammy

Throw in Abdelkader on line one -- and we've got **** smeared all around the lineup

Who cares what it looks like as long as they win? Babcock has won the most games of any coach since he joined the league. He's not beyond reproach, but his style seems to work, especially since his GM is inept.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Well the good news is that in addition to hearing about Alfie, Weiss, Ericsson, and Dekeyser, we also get to hear about how mediocre Glendening is.

RedWingsNow*

The upside is making the PK better and making the bottom 6 a little grittier. He played one pro year and scored as much as Emmerton ever did in the AHL without having time to adjust and hes way better defensively.

You post faceoff stats, me and guys like Zetterberg Era watched him all season.

Glendening is mediocre.

The Griff's best player BY FAR last year was Mursak. When Mursak was on the ice, the puck was in the offensive zone.
Didn't hear you saying we need Mursak on Detroit very often.

RedWingsNow*

Who cares what it looks like as long as they win? Babcock has won the most games of any coach since he joined the league. He's not beyond reproach, but his style seems to work, especially since his GM is inept.

That's because Babcock coaches the Red Wings.

Not because the Red Wings have Babcock as a coach.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That 03 Ducks team was pretty darn effective team. One win away from Stanley Cup.

We are never gonna be a team with same style, but I admire that defensive discipline that team had. If that's transferred to Detroit, I'm all in.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Glendening is mediocre.

The Griff's best player BY FAR last year was Mursak. When Mursak was on the ice, the puck was in the offensive zone.

most 4th line center are mediocre thats why they're 4th line. Glendening should be an upgrade over Emmerton.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

There's plenty of great AHL players who never translated to the NHL, Don MacLean, Jason Krog. Mursak's game wasn't suited for the NHL, too injury prone.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Oh. You're an expert. You and TZE should do all the talking and the rest of us should just listen to you.

Glendening is mediocre.

Mursak was great in the playoffs, saying he was their best player shows how much you like to push your agenda.

Emmerton is worse than mediocre, Glendening is mediocre. Therefore upgrade. And yeah Im not an expert but when guys who actually watch them play have opinions I value them over yur faceoff stats

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
There's plenty of great AHL players who never translated to the NHL, Don MacLean, Jason Krog. Mursak's game wasn't suited for the NHL, too injury prone.

Biggest guy I can think of is Darren Haydar, had a 92 point season then a 122 point season. Also scored 8 for the Griffins in 08

RedWingsNow*

Considering I don't think anyone in the professional hockey world agrees with you, I'll just chalk that up to fan opinion.

Fan opinion.

What's your point?

Why don't you call up Dave Lewis' record as NHL coach?
How many coaches had more wins than Dave Lewis in his tenure, eh?
Two straight 48-win seasons in the days of ties.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Mursak was great in the playoffs, saying he was their best player shows how much you like to push your agenda.

Mursak played against other AHL teams 3rd lines, got easier competition and shined that way. He was key depth to their succes.

Just like Nyquist and Tatar will shine at next season against other teams bottom6, but would suffer at TOP6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad