Roster Building XXI: It Gon' Go Down.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, while their kids are developing, Pesce would be a good add for them short term (if healthy).

I think we fans (myself included) worry too much about how bad a contract will be in the latter years of a long term deal. The Canes don't like to sign those deals, but many other teams seem to find ways to get out from under it long term, whether it's using picks to get rid of/trade it, retention, sending it to a cap floor team, buying it out, LTIR, etc..

People point to Vlasic's deal, but SJ hasn't been competitive for the last 4-5 seasons and likely won't be for the next 2 season's he's under contract, so they are just riding it out, but I'm confident that they would have found a way to get rid of him had they been competing for a cup in recent years.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Oof Pesce with NJ would be bad news for us. He's the exact kind of player they need, a guy who is really good at keeping the puck away from the net. They get him, and their defense starts to look a hell of a lot more complete than it has, very much at the detriment to our own goals.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I have a really bad feeling about this year. NJ on the rise with a lot of talent while we fall apart.

That whole sharks thing looks a lot more realistic than people think.

We trade what little offense we have for more and more defense. Losing Skjei, Pesce, Necas, KK not panning out, TT likely gone..... An aging unreliable, not playoff worthy Andersen.... Big oof.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
the same sky is falling news we heard when Hamilton left.

getting into long contracts for likely declining talents isnt good business. We can go get a DeMelo and be just fine on defense while only committing to 3-4 years at less AAV.

Or, alternatively, they can trade for John Marino, who's signed to a decent cap hit for 3 more seasons.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
we have our john marino with Chatty. we need a demelo type more. dude isnt afraid to bump bodies and get physical.

add in Marino would make our goalie problems worse

Was that about Marino or was that about NJ's goaltending being dogshit? Marino had one of the lowest OISV's in the league. He was also excellent defensively the season before, so some of these numbers may be an aberration.

Reactions: Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Do you have DeMelo's data on this metric?
i dont pay for the site but I see 5 Winnipeg icons in the goalie's best friend box meaning they allow the least amount of passes and HD shots off of rush attempts. based on Demelo's play its a good bet he is one of those 5.

I think they’d disagree with you.
seeing how there are people calling to trade Hamilton, i dont think that could be true or false. its still an overpay based on what has been produced on the ice so far.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Not even then. Just not good trade partners unless it's Necas+ for Forsberg

I'd be open to Evangelista, personally. Nashville would need to add a bit, but he'd be a very valuable piece as a guy who we know for sure is an NHL player, is on an ELC, and projects as a top-6er. That would open up space to bring back some of our UFAs.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
I've always been more worried that Pesce may fall off very early in the deal with his mileage. Dan Girardi comes to mind.
you are not alone with that. Pesce looked slower last season and unfortunately he has a troubling injury history.

this is setting up to a be wild offseason given the number of FA's. good news is Canes have around $22M of availability, not counting Chatfield deal. they have plenty of room for 1-2 big contracts so there should be a plan in the event they lose Guentzel, pesce, skjei and TT to FA and Necas via trade. GMs should not care about handing out long term deals if the owner is willing since they(GM) will likely be gone by the time the contract(s) runs out. to me, if Canes behave like penny pinchers this offseason then it's on Dundon. I have some concerns that his ego will derail the team's success at some point but track record so far has been exceptional.

we'll see.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
you are not alone with that. Pesce looked slower last season and unfortunately he has a troubling injury history.

this is setting up to a be wild offseason given the number of FA's. good news is Canes have around $22M of availability, not counting Chatfield deal. they have plenty of room for 1-2 big contracts so there should be a plan in the event they lose Guentzel, pesce, skjei and TT to FA and Necas via trade. GMs should not care about handing out long term deals if the owner is willing since they(GM) will likely be gone by the time the contract(s) runs out. to me, if Canes behave like penny pinchers this offseason then it's on Dundon. I have some concerns that his ego will derail the team's success at some point but track record so far has been exceptional.

we'll see.
Dundon will do that because Dundon has bought into Tulsky's analysis showing mid-30s players drop off precipitously and you shouldn't pay UFA prices for those mid-30s years.

So you can say it's on Dundon and Tulsky should be happy to sign that contract because he's unlikely to be there, but that goes against everything Tulsky has been promoting for years and against what Dundon has been convinced of by Tulsky.

If Dundon wants to pay long-term UFA deals, he should have hired a different GM.

Reactions: Tryamw

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
6x5.5 for Pesce is what’s out there which I’m surprised he isn’t getting over 6 and also surprised canes wouldn’t match it

6 years is way too long for a guy that's already starting to show signs of slowing down. It is a cheap contract though, so at least it won't be an albatross.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad