Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2021 Offseason) - Nobody fickles, under Coach “lookalike to Don Rickles”!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
You keep saying that and how do you know that? If he wants 10mil do you think anyone is giving him that?

He goes out and sees what the market is actually willing to pay him. If he goes back to the canes and says I can get this and the canes work the 8th year so that in total the contract is worth 5mil more than he believes he will get once he hits ufa than he prob resigns. The point is that letting him talk to other teams mean they are now negotiating against actual numbers and not just hypotheticals and baseless demands.
Because that is how free agency works. There are already multiple teams interested in him, including Seattle which can afford to overpay. Hamilton isn't Taylor Hall. He's a defenseman who can play big minutes and has a shit ton of offense to him. It's common sense.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Somebody else will take those minutes. Their cup runs don't hinge on one player, a year or two from now they will have a new player taking those minutes at probably a much better price. Carolina's core is extremely young still, no reason to paint themselves into the cap hell corner prematurely.
Who is that player?

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Because that is how free agency works. There are already multiple teams interested in him, including Seattle which can afford to overpay. Hamilton isn't Taylor Hall. He's a defenseman who can play big minutes and has a shit ton of offense to him. It's common sense.
so if you are the canes how do you handle this situation. you haven't answered that question. you just keep saying he will essentially get a blank check somewhere

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Can Goodrow still play center? I know he’s good defensively and PKs (both with SJ and now with TB)

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Who is that player?

A player found internally, through a trade (how Hamilton came to Carolina in the first place), or UFA.

Why was Pietrangelo let go last season? Krug? People are let go in UFA all the time, players are traded all the time. Organizations usually refuse to be held hostage in UFA situations, nothing out of the ordinary here at all. The Rangers would do the same if Zib's demands were outlandish.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if NYR is a lot cooler on Eichel now due to the injury and new GM. Feels like a huge gamble for Drury to cough up major assets for an injured and disgruntled star player right away.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Stop discussing Eichel no new GM follows up their first good move with such a plainly stupid one. Plus, it's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Wanna be somewhere else? Mongoloid starts throwing shit and saying he's got a major neck problem.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The dude tried to literally decapitate Mantha, and people still talk about him like he’s a shrinking violet.

I’d rather just re-sign Buch, move on from Strome, and find an intermediate 2c/3C to be a placeholder. I’d want to roll with these wing pairs for the time being:

Laf-Buch
Panarin-Kakko
Kreider-Kravtsov

Both Buch and Strome don't have a chance to be on the team beyond next year unless two scenarios happen: Zibanejad is allowed to leave without a corresponding salary-wise 1C coming back, and Kreider is somehow moved.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Elliotte Friedman discussed the Rangers cap situation. Chris Drury needs to figure out how much it will cost to retain both Mika Zibanejad and Adam Fox. Elliotte wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers tried to sign Fox to an extension this summer. They can't do anything with Fox until the start of the offseason but why wait until next July? After the Rangers figure out what Zibanejad and Fox will cost, they go from there. The salary cap space will go quickly.

Jeff Marek asked about Elliotte about the Rangers and Eichel. Elliotte said Buffalo could end up with another pick high in the draft. Maybe in an Eichel deal. Maybe Reinhart. Anaheim at #3. Columbus at #5. LA at #8. LA's pick could be moved if a team is moving into the top 10. He didn't say anything about Eichel to the Rangers.

31 Thoughts Podcast.

The cap is an issue for the Rangers and Eichel.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think it more changed once he got his contract. Leading up to the contract he was absolutely driving play.
It could be a factor. There's too much hesitation and east/west in his game. IMO He's trying to fit in or emulate Panarin and he's just not built for that.

It reminds me of when we were kids... We tried to emulate/play like our favorite player. Panarin is so good that everyone is trying to be like him... Even tuning out our ex-coaches demands.

I'm just hoping Gallant is a leader of the team and puts his players in position to succeed. If a player is getting away from what makes him good or over complicates it, the coaching/adjustments are made.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It could be a factor. There's too much hesitation and east/west in his game. He's trying to fit in or emulate Panarin and he's just not built for that.

It reminds me of when we were kids... We tried to emulate/play like our favorite player. Panarin is so good that everyone is trying to play like him... Even allegedly over our ex-coaches demands.

I'm just hoping Gallant is a leader of the team and puts his players in position to succeed. If a player is getting away from what makes him good or over complicates it, the coaching/adjustments are made.
You remember down the stretch leading to the deadline he was a bull, taking the puck hard wide around defenders and to the net. I miss that player as well...

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Rangers have a top producing 1C and they can re sign Zibanejad less than Eichel. This is likely why they will move on From Eichel if they do. If Vegas can make the cup with Stephenson (very likely) the Rangers in time should be able to make it to a cup with Zibanejad

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I definitely understand and agree with the notion that overpaying guys like Coleman, Goodrow, Nosek, etc on the UFA market is often a bad strategy. From a few angles - cap investment / impact, age / odds of breaking down, and perhaps most importantly the mental impact of giving essentially a final big $ contract to players whose effectiveness is predicated on effort.

I also think Gallant coming in could be a significant upgrade across the entire team and as much as possible want to see players get a chance under a new regime. I do however struggle to buy in to the fantasies of "Kreider becoming Tuch" or Gauthier figuring out how to grind...IMO both just have flaws in their toolbox that make that unrealistic. Kreider more so obviously.

Ultimately I would be extremely disappointed if they just brought back the same group. There will be natural growth and improvement given how young this team is, for sure, but they don't just need improvement along the same trajectory. In my opinion they need an overhaul in a few areas specifically they need to bring in some more diverse skillsets (i.e. grinding). If the fear is that the UFA route represents "bad buys", I would hope for a "talent/prospect for depth" type of trade that @Edge has long hinted at (not sure if still holds up w/Drury) to identify the next Goodrow, Carrier, etc.

Kreider is what he is, he has to force himself to play a non fly by, take the puck to the net game.

Yet Gauthier did try to change his game.

I think they should pretty much just figure out how to replace Strome. I like the idea of trading for a center either on his entry level, just coming off it, on his bridge or just coming off it, or even a guy signed to a good contract already. Specific players are always who knows in terms of availability, yet someone like Jason Dickinson, Robert Thomas, Eriksson-Ek

The backup plan in my opinion should be still moving on from Strome even if they get futures, and then signing someone who will probably be less expensive than the names often thrown about, without major term. Wennberg, Glendening, etc.

In a couple years once teams realize they overspent on Coleman, Goodrow, Danault and now need to rebuild themselves, then go see about trading for them if that team will retain.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If we trade for a 'star' Center, it'd be off the cuff.

Barkov, ROR, Toews, Scheiffele, Cirielli.. It wont be Eichel IMO; by some miracle Pettersson would be nice

I'm not in favor of shipping our KAM like some. I think his potential is astronomical.... but... a base trade built around KAM+ for Pettersson would be interesting.

Reactions: mas0764

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Elliotte Friedman discussed the Rangers cap situation. Chris Drury needs to figure out how much it will cost to retain both Mika Zibanejad and Adam Fox. Elliotte wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers tried to sign Fox to an extension this summer. They can't do anything with Fox until the start of the offseason but why wait until next July? After the Rangers figure out what Zibanejad and Fox will cost, they go from there. The salary cap space will go quickly.

Jeff Marek asked about Elliotte about the Rangers and Eichel. Elliotte said Buffalo could end up with another pick high in the draft. Maybe in an Eichel deal. Maybe Reinhart. Anaheim at #3. Columbus at #5. LA at #8. LA's pick could be moved if a team is moving into the top 10. He didn't say anything about Eichel to the Rangers.

31 Thoughts Podcast.

The cap is an issue for the Rangers and Eichel.

A Zibanejad signing is gonna bite this team.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Barkov, ROR, Toews, Scheiffele, Cirielli.. It wont be Eichel IMO; by some miracle Pettersson would be nice

I'm not in favor of shipping our KAM like some. I think his potential is astronomical.... but... a base trade built around KAM+ for Pettersson would be interesting.

I was so pissed when Van took Pettersson and they were the only one before us that I thought might, I wanted to trade ahead of them so bad

Reactions: Daves a mess

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
so if you are the canes how do you handle this situation. you haven't answered that question. you just keep saying he will essentially get a blank check somewhere
I'd sign him. Didn't say blank check but someone will give him what he is asking for. That's how free agency works.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
A player found internally, through a trade (how Hamilton came to Carolina in the first place), or UFA.

Why was Pietrangelo let go last season? Krug? People are let go in UFA all the time, players are traded all the time. Organizations usually refuse to be held hostage in UFA situations, nothing out of the ordinary here at all. The Rangers would do the same if Zib's demands were outlandish.
Pietrangelo went out and got paid by Vegas and the Blues got swept in round 1. Krug got paid because he's an offensive defenseman and thank you for proving my point for me.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
How can we come up with a 3 way deal where someone gets Buchnevich and TB ends up with a center to replace Cirelli who we acquire?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Barkov, ROR, Toews, Scheiffele, Cirielli... I'm not in favor of shipping out KAM .... but... a base trade built around KAM+ for Pettersson would be interesting.

i mostly agree, Moving Miller is a huge price/risk
but would also be ok if KAM was able to bring back Barkov(extended) or Cirelli or even Scheifele.

NYR's left side could adapt around Lindgren - add a vet maybe, I believe in Roberston, then Jones would stay, Nils might shift Left when Schneider comes up, new staff might get more from Hajek or even Reunanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad