Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
To me Brodzinski looks like an odd guy out. That said I think if he goes on waivers he'll be picked up by somebody and in an expanded role he could put up 30+ points for someone---play the penalty kill, blah, blah, blah. He's a good player, skates well, good sense of the game, is liked by coaches and teammates. 19 points in 57 games last year would have pro-rated 27 points for a full season. If he does that it will be more production than we're likely to get out of some of our bottom 6. Production isn't everything however especially if a team is getting enough to win most of the time and I'm not too worried about that. I also think that elements that Rempe or Edstrom will bring which might not show up on a scoresheet are important as well as they're coming into being NHL players who aren't peaked yet like Brodzinski pretty much is. For us to sift through keepers and guys we move there has to be some opportunities for a younger players.

I doubt any team is claiming a 31 year old who has never played a full NHL season and putting him in an expanded role where he can score 30+ points. The bad teams want their younger guys in those roles and the good teams don't have that spot available.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’d be upset if the Rangers lost Brodzinski to a waiver claim. I get that maybe the risk is not that great given that he’s been sent to Hartford without issues half dozen times in the last few years. This time around it feels different - Brodzinski got himself some recognition performing very well for a President Cup team. Teams that are in rebuild should easily find a permanent lineup spot for him, potentially even pretty high.

The Rangers have options to avoid this risk that would require one of Rempe / Edstrom (Othmann too but he got additional considerations too) to start at Hartford and wait for an inevitable injury to happen. If it were up to me this is what I’d do. As @NYR Viper mentioned yesterday there’s already an uncertainty about Chytil staying healthy and if Brodzinski is lost and then Chytil goes out of lineup - Rangers options are pretty dire. I don’t want to have another year with Bonino level player being 3C for an extended period.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It would be great if the Rangers found a long-term capable partner for Fox in Mancini but it’s not without a downside because when everyone is healthy - it’s unlikely that they make Lindgren 7th D over Jones. Trading Lindgren (for a good return) would be the way to go but for obvious reasons it seems pretty unlikely.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It would be great if the Rangers found a long-term capable partner for Fox in Mancini but it’s not without a downside because when everyone is healthy - it’s unlikely that they make Lindgren 7th D over Jones. Trading Lindgren (for a good return) would be the way to go but for obvious reasons it seems pretty unlikely.
They're going to sign Lindgren and he and Fox will be together until they fossilize into one person.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I’d be upset if the Rangers lost Brodzinski to a waiver claim. I get that maybe the risk is not that great given that he’s been sent to Hartford without issues half dozen times in the last few years. This time around it feels different - Brodzinski got himself some recognition performing very well for a President Cup team. Teams that are in rebuild should easily find a permanent lineup spot for him, potentially even pretty high.

The Rangers have options to avoid this risk that would require one of Rempe / Edstrom (Othmann too but he got additional considerations too) to start at Hartford and wait for an inevitable injury to happen. If it were up to me this is what I’d do. As @NYR Viper mentioned yesterday there’s already an uncertainty about Chytil staying healthy and if Brodzinski is lost and then Chytil goes out of lineup - Rangers options are pretty dire. I don’t want to have another year with Bonino level player being 3C for an extended period.
He's a lock for a roster spot. They don't have centers in the organization at all.

What it tells me is he has no equity to regularly play. Edstrom is a less likely bet to make the roster but if he does be will not be scratched.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Brodzinski is a Bonino level player, he may not even be at that level because Bonino was a bonifide nhl player for some time. I'm not sure why people wanna walk out the same old roster every year, Edstrom, Othmann or Rempe should have the spot over Brodz, if we can't send Brodz back and forth without him getting claimed then get someone we can. He's not Selanne, he's a good AHL player who can fill in if need be.

Reactions: Profet

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I wouldn’t play them equally, but I like those lines. Idc if Trochek is great at faceoffs, he’s not skilled or creative enough for PP1. Zibanejad and Kreider can take the faceoffs for unit 1.
He had 24 points on the powerplay. The powerplay finished 3rd. I'm curious how much better some fans think the powerplay is going to be by subtracting Trocheck off? Like, even if it's marginally better, Trocheck wasn't a negative to that powerplay unit. He won 201 faceoffs on the powerplay and lost 113. The powerplay starts in the O zone. If you lose the faceoff, well, that sucks...

Reactions: Baby Duck Homme

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Brodzinski is a Bonino level player, he may not even be at that level because Bonino was a bonifide nhl player for some time. I'm not sure why people wanna walk out the same old roster every year, Edstrom, Othmann or Rempe should have the spot over Brodz, if we can't send Brodz back and forth without him getting claimed then get someone we can. He's not Selanne, he's a good AHL player who can fill in if need be.
I think the point is that none of those 3 players are centers.
And our center depth is thin.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
What is he going to do in the bumper role when Panarin is controlling the PP from the right side and he's unable to one time his passes being a lefty? Or are they totally changing the unit around to accommodate him?

I don't think we need to worry about it "going stale." They've had this structure for like four years now and it's been getting more effective. Of course, it's going to have stretches of ineffectiveness. That's just basic math. Even a 25% PP would be expected to go 0-10 more than 5% of the time (in actuality higher than that due to times the PP ends early due to penalty, the game ending, them drawing the penalty while on the PK so it's short etc.).
The problem is it HAS gone stale the last two post seasons when we needed it and we had NO alternatives. We lost to both the Devils and Panthers in large part because we had all of our eggs in one PP basket and the f***ing bottom fell out of that basket. Saying it was against better defensive teams (which I would HARDLY call that NJD team) is just another way of saying it’s a PP that just feasts on lesser teams. I don’t care what ranking it has, for the year or the last 2 decades, or how many regular season goals it scored… if that’s the case it WILL cost us in the playoffs again.
The regular season is when a team on the level of NYR needs to work out these alternatives. Get other units familiar with each other. We need to have contingencies. We are making the playoffs. Trading off finishing first in the league for 5th in the league for being a team prepared to win in the playoffs is a no brainer. Unless what’s important to one is being able to tout what great rankings we have even though we lose in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad