Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
People are overrating Edstrom. He had 16 points in 40 ahl games last year. Never produced in EU aswell. Not very physical despite his size.

This coaching staff knows this and will probably play Rempe, Vesey, and Brodz ahead of him.

Cuylle is also perfectly fine on the third line.
Hartford is a funny place really, sometimes guys with skill need some similar but better players to play with to break out so to speak. I go back to it all the time but Schneider didn't look great in the ahl but he got called up cus of injury and hasn't left since. I'm not sure if it's the organization that attempts to teach defense first hockey in the ahl or what but the point totals of good players down there is always underwhelming. Brodzinski is usually top of the pack.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm not worried one bit about the cap, there are some big contracts coming off the next few year.

I’m old enough to remember when people thought we’d have a $100M cap 4-5 years ago…somehow the owners always find a way
There's talk of a lot more expansion, if that happens 110-120 could come quicker than expected

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I'm not worried one bit about the cap, there are some big contracts coming off the next few year.

There's talk of a lot more expansion, if that happens 110-120 could come quicker than expected

How though? Expansion fees are not HRR. Adding teams in Houston or Atlanta again (lol) is gonna increase the national TV contract? And that’s before the talent dilution effect which will mean teams are just paying more money to lure worse players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There looks to be some hard decisions to make. Same time it's a good thing to have guys in Hartford you can recall and they really are NHL level players. That's if we can get them down there using waivers.

If Brennan Othmann makes the team he either pushes Cuylle down to 4LW or the Rangers trade Kaapo Kakko for a younger D. Othmann shouldn't be on a 4th line and neither should Kakko. Cuylle would be more okay but we wouldn't want him there forever but then he's with the group of Rempe, Edstrom, Vesey and Brodzinski. The easiest guy to subtract would be Brodzinski and even doing that we're still at 14 forwards. Unless the Rangers send Othmann to Hartford I'm kind of thinking a trade is coming and Kakko the most likely to move.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Could be a late bloomer but all I want is a big body 4th liner that can pk and pinch in with like 25 pts

Vesey and Brodz are waiver bubble nhl guys
I want then to be around for depth but I’d play Edstrom over them
That's the rub. Waiving one of them in favor of Edstrom may result in losing that depth.

We currently have 14 forwards, including Vesey, Brodz, Rempe and Edstrom. If we go into the season with 14 forwards, then they could all make the team. However, with the injury to Lindgren, it's more likely that we begin the season with 13 forwards so we can carry 8 dmen.

In that scenario, one of the above will start in Hartford. Both Edstrom and Rempe are waiver exempt and are far more likely to be sent down than players whom we might lose on waivers. That's just the reality of it. It doesn't mean Edstrom (or Rempe, if he is sent down) won't be up once Lindgren is healthy. It doesn't mean he won't play a lot of games in the NHL this year.

It's a numbers game and it isn't always fair.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The thing that's impressed me most about Edstrom this time around is that he's playing a bit more aggressive. I don't mean physically per se. But I just mean, there's less hesitation in his game which is allowing him to use his skating and reach more effectively. At times, he's been a revelation on the forecheck. He also seems to be using his physicality a bit more. He's not crushing people, but he's been very effective with how he's using his frame. This has put him in situations where he's getting points and chances in preseason. I don't fully expect that to keep up during the regular season. But to me, he's proven to me that's worthy of a fourth line position. TBH, and I know it's just preseason, but I don't think he's been any less effective than Cuylle. Like I could see him in a 3rd line role with his style of play.

Edstrom's play and to a smaller degree, Rempe's play is inspiring a greater vision for the Rangers bottom 6. One based a bit more on speed and forecheck, and a bit less on pure puck possession and skill. In an ideal world, the bottom 6 would play fast and create lots of cycling and zone time which could help swing momentum, wear opponents down. I could see a line with Ed and Remps that would be highly effective at that.

ONE LAST THING: Regarding who actually gets the last few roster spots at Forward. Our line combos as currently constituted are complicating the situation more than anything. We do not have a typical 3rd line that can be relied upon in close games to play stout D. They don't shut down opponents top 6s. None of them PK (unless Cuylle starts to). Which means, we're either asking our top 6 to handle greater D zone responsibility or we're going to have to rely on our 4th line to handle some of those assignments. Simply because Vesey and Carrick will be relied upon to PK gives them the inside track on the roster. It's going to make it very very hard for both Edstrom or Rempe to make the roster. Furthermore, Brodzinski can play all 3 forward spots and has been used a bunch at C. For Ed and Rempe to both be on the roster someone higher up in the lineup is out. Or is traded. At the very least. As a team we overrely on our first line to handle more defensive responsibilities. Edstrom, even more than Rempe is going to need to show he can PK and be relied upon to handle hard line matchups. That is a big hurdle and a bit unfair to ask of a rookie.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The thing that's impressed me most about Edstrom this time around is that he's playing a bit more aggressive. I don't mean physically per se. But I just mean, there's less hesitation in his game which is allowing him to use his skating and reach more effectively. At times, he's been a revelation on the forecheck. He also seems to be using his physicality a bit more. He's not crushing people, but he's been very effective with how he's using his frame. This has put him in situations where he's getting points and chances in preseason. I don't fully expect that to keep up during the regular season. But to me, he's proven to me that's worthy of a fourth line position. TBH, and I know it's just preseason, but I don't think he's been any less effective than Cuylle. Like I could see him in a 3rd line role with his style of play.

Edstrom's play and to a smaller degree, Rempe's play is inspiring a greater vision for the Rangers bottom 6. One based a bit more on speed and forecheck, and a bit less on pure puck possession and skill. In an ideal world, the bottom 6 would play fast and create lots of cycling and zone time which could help swing momentum, wear opponents down. I could see a line with Ed and Remps that would be highly effective at that.
Hopefully this bodes well for the future where we can actually have homegrown talent on reasonable deals playing on the 4th line instead of overpaying free agents.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
That's the rub. Waiving one of them in favor of Edstrom may result in losing that depth.

We currently have 14 forwards, including Vesey, Brodz, Rempe and Edstrom. If we go into the season with 14 forwards, then they could all make the team. However, with the injury to Lindgren, it's more likely that we begin the season with 13 forwards so we can carry 8 dmen.

In that scenario, one of the above will start in Hartford. Both Edstrom and Rempe are waiver exempt and are far more likely to be sent down than players whom we might lose on waivers. That's just the reality of it. It doesn't mean Edstrom (or Rempe, if he is sent down) won't be up once Lindgren is healthy. It doesn't mean he won't play a lot of games in the NHL this year.

It's a numbers game and it isn't always fair.

Right but let’s be real Vesey is meh
Is Erne much worse ?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Right but let’s be real Vesey is meh
Is Erne much worse ?
I'd say Erne is worse. How much is a matter for debate, but no matter how you slice it, replacing Vesey with Erne hurts our depth.

If Erne's value is that no other team wants him, that's not much value.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I'd say Erne is worse. How much is a matter for debate, but no matter how you slice it, replacing Vesey with Erne hurts our depth.

If Erne's value is that no other team wants him, that's not much value.

You may be right but it’s not like Vesey hasn’t cleared waivers before too

Just saying stash Erne in the AHL if Vesey goes

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You may be right but it’s not like Vesey hasn’t cleared waivers before too

Just saying stash Erne in the AHL if Vesey goes
Or we could stash Erne in the AHL, keep Vesey, and have even more depth.

I get it. I want Edstrom to make the team as well. But it's not the end of the world if he isn't on the roster day 1. He played 11 games last year and I'd bet money he will play more than that this year, regardless of how exactly it shakes out.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Or we could stash Erne in the AHL, keep Vesey, and have even more depth.

I get it. I want Edstrom to make the team as well. But it's not the end of the world if he isn't on the roster day 1. He played 11 games last year and I'd bet money he will play more than that this year, regardless of how exactly it shakes out.
The problem with sending Edstrom down, especially after having a great camp, is that he makes $70K in the AHL, I'm sure he'll ask his agent to look at returning to the SHL, where I'm sure he'll make at least 10X his AHL salary. He'll be 24 in a few months and I'm sure salary will factor into HIS decision, especially after having played in the AHL last year.

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004

Attachments

• 28neW2.gif
    28neW2.gif
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The problem with sending Edstrom down, especially after having a great camp, is that he makes $70K in the AHL, I'm sure he'll ask his agent to look at returning to the SHL, where I'm sure he'll make at least 10X his AHL salary. He'll be 24 in a few months and I'm sure salary will factor into HIS decision, especially after having played in the AHL last year.
There's no evidence to support this speculation. Yes, some players have gotten upset, taken their ball and gone home. Nothing I have seen from Edstrom suggests to me that he is that sort of person. And even if he is, he is under contract. He can't go back unless the Rangers allow it.

I think your estimation of what he would make in the SHL is very high.

According to this link, the average salary in the SHL is 110k. It may be a bit higher since this article was written, but not substantially so.

Simultaneously, your estimation of what he will make here is too low.

Not being on the team day 1 doesn't mean he will spend the entire year in the AHL. He will spend time on the NHL roster, and for every day he does, he will be earning his NHL salary.

People are really just making too much of the situation. There are factors outside Edstrom's control. I'm sure he's a big boy (in more than the literal sense) and I'm sure those factors will be explained to him in the event he is sent down. Life isn't always fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad