Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The fact that Buchnevich was never as good here as you made him out to be? Sure it does. It diminishes it but does not negate it. The deal was bad but there's no need to exaggerate to make it worse.
Buch gets more PP time with St. Louis, that's why his numbers have improved.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Buch gets more PP time with St. Louis, that's why his numbers have improved.
He scored about 20 points on the PP this year, which was a 0.78PPG (63pts in 80 games played) season. I mean, he's a good player but people act like he's elite or something.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He scored about 20 points on the PP this year, which was a 0.78PPG (63pts in 80 games played) season. I mean, he's a good player but people act like he's elite or something.

I always feel like if the Rangers had Zuc vs the Kings or Buch this year they win the cup

They are always 1 key player away

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I always feel like if the Rangers had Zuc vs the Kings or Buch this year they win the cup

They are always 1 key player away

Zucc played against the Kings in 2014, he was probably our best forward, certainly he was on the best line. 2015 he missed against Tampa.

Idk how Buch makes much of a difference in this last run. Our defense couldnt get the puck up ice against Florida

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Zuccarello was hurt in 2015. We played the Kings in 2014.

In all three of those years, we had two defensemen on the ice who probably shouldn't have been taking shifts. We like doing that for some reason.

Ok I will blame Richards and Nash then lol

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I feel like in other leagues with a cap it’s AN issue and with the NHL it’s always THE issue if that makes sense.
Yeah, because in grown-up leagues for grown-ups, the cap has rules, stipulations, and wiggle room.

The NHL is just "don't spend more than this" and then they leave that amount where it is while the real world goes through massive inflation.

I get the whole virus and revenue percentage thing, but if the system was vulnerable to this happening, then the system always sucked.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yeah, because in grown-up leagues for grown-ups, the cap has rules, stipulations, and wiggle room.

The NHL is just "don't spend more than this" and then they leave that amount where it is while the real world goes through massive inflation.

I get the whole virus and revenue percentage thing, but if the system was vulnerable to this happening, then the system always sucked.
yeah i agree. I always felt like other sports fans aren't so caught up in the cap like NHL fans are. Although, i've noticed its becoming more of a thing among NFL fan chatter recently.

They had Zucc vs the kings. He’s the one who blew his assignment on the game winner against.

He got hurt the year after.
It was Carcillo who we missed.

The unjust crooked refs banned him for the whole final because he did what any God-fearing red blooded American would do and gave the refs the business in the ECF.

We win the cup if not for that.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
yeah i agree. I always felt like other sports fans aren't so caught up in the cap like NHL fans are. Although, i've noticed its becoming more of a thing among NFL fan chatter recently.

The unjust crooked refs banned him for the whole final because he did what any God-fearing red blooded American would do and gave the refs the business in the ECF.

The nfl cap is harder to understand it’s now becoming more common to talk about and math things out though

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Did Edjovo ghostwrite the Carcillo part? (I did like him as a Ranger)

• Haha
Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
The NHL needs a similar system to the NBA with bird rights and having the ability to go over the cap to sign certain players. The league has technically grown under Bettman, but he’s done a lot of stupid shit that’s hindered progress. Sometimes it feels like a lot of the growth is in spite of him

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The sad part about the cap is that by conventional wisdom, you would think the cap is there to prevent big teams from outspending small teams and thus make a large cap between the good (big) teams and the bad smaller teams. But no, the way the NHL cap works is that you can be the smallest market in the league (so a team like Columbus), and you can eventually get good by drafting well and making smart trades and whatnot. And you still can only remain good for a small window, before you have to start paying guys like they deserve to. A recipe for a good team in the NHL is that you need key pieces to overperform their contracts. And you can only do that for a short while.

It really sucks to see some of the great championship teams, that are actually fun to watch, dissolve after they win the cup. Not because the players would want to move on, but because they can't be kept because of the salary cap.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
He's 29, no one wants to give ufa contracts to older player but we want to pay a 29 year old that found success last year playing 17:04 per game?

And that 17:04 per game was the second lowest minutes per game of his career since 2015?

He just had the best 13 game spurt of his career just as he's walking to ufa and some people want to fail for that hook bait and sinker.

You want to sign him to play with your #1 d man on your top pair as a 29 year old ufa that is going to land a fairly significant contract if he gets to ufa? 6x6 is being reported...

And yes, there is a top pair and 4 other d, bc your top pair specifically includes a team's #1 d. The spot next to the #1 d isn't a revolving door in season, or at least it shouldn't be.

Asking zadarov to do that is setting him up to fail here.

He absolutely plays slow as does mika. His speed comes in small spurts on breakaways and such, but it is terribly underutilized and at 33 years old I think it's a little foolish to no expect his overall speed to begin to diminish soon, no?
C’mon man!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
They have no picks to dump guys contracts
do you want an Edstrom attached to make it worth the dump for another team ?
Either keep Trouba or move for some cap space but they would to take a dump like Holl back for sure
completely unnecessary to add
retain 1.5 only = 6.5 m + 2024 3rd AND TAKE 2 2NDS

Ive yet to find a player mentioned in this thread that someone doesnt think sucks, including all 20 currently on the team lol
Yeah but the dif is @Machinehead is right Chariot actually sucks

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The sad part about the cap is that by conventional wisdom, you would think the cap is there to prevent big teams from outspending small teams and thus make a large cap between the good (big) teams and the bad smaller teams. But no, the way the NHL cap works is that you can be the smallest market in the league (so a team like Columbus), and you can eventually get good by drafting well and making smart trades and whatnot. And you still can only remain good for a small window, before you have to start paying guys like they deserve to. A recipe for a good team in the NHL is that you need key pieces to overperform their contracts. And you can only do that for a short while.

It really sucks to see some of the great championship teams, that are actually fun to watch, dissolve after they win the cup. Not because the players would want to move on, but because they can't be kept because of the salary cap.
Exactly. There really needs to be some sort of compromise in the cap to 1) level the cost of living/tax playing field and 2) reward teams for drafting and developing well.

Drafted player’s cap hits should only count for x% (75?) of their contract value. Really, I think an argument can be made that the cap should only apply to UFAs.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The NHL needs a similar system to the NBA with bird rights and having the ability to go over the cap to sign certain players. The league has technically grown under Bettman, but he’s done a lot of stupid shit that’s hindered progress. Sometimes it feels like a lot of the growth is in spite of him
The owners are also the absolute worst.

They're all blood-suckers but the blood-sucking in the NHL is on a whole new level.

You're not rich enough? You guys needed built-in wage suppression on already the lowest-earning athletes in NA major pro sports?

None of them are feeding their families from the hockey team. They're essentially giant toys.

That's why I respect owners that come in and play with their toys and spend money like drunks.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I missed a ton of stuff yesterday but here are my 2 cents.

Zadorov is not good. He isn't a top pairing D and would not be a fit next to Fox. Every team he has played on has avoided matching him up against the opponents best players like the plague for a reason (and in the event he does get caught out there, he gets smoked.) Hes going to make a ton of money (I don't think he gets the 6x6 thats been rumored) because he had a playoff where he scored a few goals that shouldn't go in at this level and he trolled Evander Kane.

Is he better than Lindgren? 10000%. But replacing a player who doesn't belong in that spot with another player who, even though better, also doesn't belong in that spot is missing the entire point of upgrading the spot all together. That doesn't mean keep Lindgren (he is worse), it just means look elsewhere.

If a true 2 way force isn't something you want to pay for (or is available) pair Fox with someone who is lock down as it gets on D and doesn't nuke transition/offense or someone who is going to push offense so hard that you'll score 4 goals for every 2 you give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad