Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Losing in the ECF when we wouldve beaten the West winner is painful. Igor and Laf are on the last year of being cheap. Im not hoarding assets right now. Rangers need to get better.
Not against it. The one thing we haven't seen from Drury is a truly bold move. He's pretty good about not getting caught up in hype and overvaluing trade assets. I think he'll need to pay a little more than he's normally comfortable with to get a Chych caliber player & cap hit, but again that said, it feels like the right move at the right time.

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Your homework was to specify what players we are obtaining, how we are obtaining them, what we are giving up in the process, and how those players will fit under the cap both short and long term. And if it's not too much trouble, show how those moves make us a better team overall.

Necas is looking for a significant raise this year. Chychrun only has 1 year left on his contract, after which he will be looking for a significant raise. Laf and Shesty are also in line for significant raises next summer. Lindgren, who you also want to replace, won't be replaced by someone who is both better and makes less.

Advocating for trades without considering any of the downstream consequences isn't much of a plan. That strategy didn't work out very well for Doctor Evil:

Im willing to trade future assets for win now help. That's what you do when you are this close to a Cup. Use Kakko and Lindgren (or assets for them) to get Chychrun (or a comprable player that I am not thinking of). Im not the GM so Drury can figure out the nitty gritty of it all. You say we cant get a better and cheaper player than Lindgren but we got Gustafsson off the scrap heap for the minimum last year. If youre worried about the downstream consequences for the team in 3-4 years, you might want to reframe how youve been viewing this team. Its a 2 year window, then everything will change.

I really don't get all the love for Chychrun. Is he good sure, but he reminds me of Miller to me. By that I mean (from my very limited viewing of him) he makes plays that really stick out both good and bad. When he makes a solid play it's really noticeable but his whiffs are so glaring. He's also older, constantly injured and Ottawa is already willing to move him after 1 year of getting him. He has 1 point in 9 playoff games, so who knows if he can show up for them. Would I like him sure, but not trading away Miller or higher end prospects for a hope that they get him and he can play a full season. If Ottawa wants to do Chychrun for Lindgren and a mid round pick I'm in.

Hes better than Miller offensively by a mile. Chychrun has had 3 double digit goal seasons before age 26. He also shook the injury bug this year playing all 82. There's no perfect player, but he fits our needs, timeline and we know he is available. I dont think you can hold 1 point in 9 Covid bubble layoff games against him either. OTT is trading him because no one wants to sign there, remember DeBrincat's cameo up there?

Reactions: Chytilmania

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Not against it. The one thing we haven't seen from Drury is a truly bold move. He's pretty good about not getting caught up in hype and overvaluing trade assets. I think he'll need to pay a little more than he's normally comfortable with to get a Chych caliber player & cap hit, but again that said, it feels like the right move at the right time.
trading a ppg 1st line winger who is best friends with your other top line studs for a mediocre draft pick and a 4th line plug is pretty bold.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Yeah if there was ever a time for Drury to make a bold move, it's now. Im sure he wants to. Let's see if he gets a dance partner. There is really no one I'll be too sad to see leave at this point outside of Laf/Fox/Igor.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Im willing to trade future assets for win now help. That's what you do when you are this close to a Cup. Use Kakko and Lindgren (or assets for them) to get Chychrun (or a comprable player that I am not thinking of). Im not the GM so Drury can figure out the nitty gritty of it all. You say we cant get a better and cheaper player than Lindgren but we got Gustafsson off the scrap heap for the minimum last year. If youre worried about the downstream consequences for the team in 3-4 years, you might want to reframe how youve been viewing this team. Its a 2 year window, then everything will change.

Hes better than Miller offensively by a mile. Chychrun has had 3 double digit goal seasons before age 26. He also shook the injury bug this year playing all 82. There's no perfect player, but he fits our needs, timeline and we know he is available. I dont think you can hold 1 point in 9 Covid bubble layoff games against him either. OTT is trading him because no one wants to sign there, remember DeBrincat's cameo up there?
IIRC didn't he want to go to Ott? This is from the athletic "This situation with the Senators is different because Chychrun has made it clear that he wants to be in Ottawa. It’s the Senators organization that seems to be open to the possibility — at least on the surface — of moving the defenceman."

Also Chychrun didn't hit double digit goals until his 4th season in the NHL which Key just finished. I don't know his ice time totals but I'd assume he was getting first pair and pp time where as Key gets the tougher matchups and limited pp time.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You say we cant get a better and cheaper player than Lindgren but we got Gustafsson off the scrap heap for the minimum last year. If youre worried about the downstream consequences for the team in 3-4 years, you might want to reframe how youve been viewing this team. Its a 2 year window, then everything will change.
Do you want Gus back? Do you think he's the answer at 3LD? He started off great, but by the end, he showed why he hasn't been able to stick with one team.

I don't need to look 3-4 years down the road. Just look 1 year down the road. You know, the 2nd year of your stated window when we'll have to re-sign both Laf and Shesty, and in your scenario, also Chychrun, after already paying Necas big money.

A 1-year plan isn't a plan.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Do you want Gus back? Do you think he's the answer at 3LD? He started off great, but by the end, he showed why he hasn't been able to stick with one team.

I don't need to look 3-4 years down the road. Just look 1 year down the road. You know, the 2nd year of your stated window when we'll have to re-sign both Laf and Shesty, and in your scenario, also Chychrun, after already paying Necas big money.

I think that last statement is both true and false.
You can realize that you have a tiny window, and make moves to fit in that window, sacrificing future years to do so.

You can also ignore the tiny window.

Holland got ripped a few years ago for saying that the oilers couldn’t go for it every year, which wasn’t totally invalid, but if you have an open window ignoring it is even stupider.

Reactions: McRanger92

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
has anyone had someone else's financial accounts appear on their credit report? Just wondering and hoping it's a common occurrence otherwise i have been compromised. it's really my punishment for being extremely nasty on here.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK

This, 100% you need to keep eye on the future and the current. Like I said I'm not opposed to a deal for Chyrch but it should be less than Ott paid for him. If it's 30th overall and a prospect like Robertson, or Lindgren & a 3rd or whatever I'd do that. If they want a first and Othmann/Berard/Gabe etc.. no way. Why should NYR give up roughly the equivalent of what Ott gave for 2 years of him.

Reactions: bernmeister

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Becomes even easier to trade Panarin, Trouba or Kreider next year with a year less on all their deals. Im really not concerned about the salary cap. Deal with it next year. Its also going up organically. If they can turn Miller/Lindgren/Kakko into Necas and Chychrun (in the current hypothetical im being quizzed on), thats 3 guys who dont need to get paid next year so by design theyd be creating future flexibility. Could absolutely look for a way out of Chytil's deal as well. Whoever isnt moved out of the Rempe/Edstrom/Berard/Othmann/Sykora/Perrault group will also be backfilling forward spots over the next 2-3 seasons.

And yes Id rather pay Gus what Lindgren is asking for than Lindgren. Ideally neither are back.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I really don't get all the love for Chychrun. Is he good sure, but he reminds me of Miller to me. By that I mean (from my very limited viewing of him) he makes plays that really stick out both good and bad. When he makes a solid play it's really noticeable but his whiffs are so glaring. He's also older, constantly injured and Ottawa is already willing to move him after 1 year of getting him. He has 1 point in 9 playoff games, so who knows if he can show up for them. Would I like him sure, but not trading away Miller or higher end prospects for a hope that they get him and he can play a full season. If Ottawa wants to do Chychrun for Lindgren and a mid round pick I'm in.
It's crazy to me that Chychrun is only 2 years older than Miller but has FIVE more years of NHL experience. That's Arizona playing 18 year olds every year for ya.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
It's crazy to me that Chychrun is only 2 years older than Miller but has FIVE more years of NHL experience. That's Arizona playing 18 year olds every year for ya.
That's just crazy. He wasn't even a top 10 pick. How often do you see a defenseman taken after the top 10 break the NHL right after their draft? Hell I'd argue it's rarely after top 5 that they crack the NHL.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I know everyone is focused on the d, but we need to talk about centers. What is this team doing?

Zib is now playing like a #2, trocheck IS a #2 having a career year, and chytil we hope can make it through a season. This is not good

The org is absolutely going to need to find a legit center for next season. They cannot go into the season with chytil as the 3c and this new version of zib. I love chytil, but if they do that they are setting themselves up for issues, and buying a center at the deadline is insanely expensive.

We wont have the room to try to sign lindholm unless there are some major salaries moved (and if you add a player like that how are the centers laid out??).

Where is nyr finding a top 9 center that they can rely on. We need center depth, we NEED IT!

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I know everyone is focused on the d, but we need to talk about centers. What is this team doing?

Zib is now playing like a #2, trocheck IS a #2 having a career year, and chytil we hope can make it through a season. This is not good

The org is absolutely going to need to find a legit center for next season. They cannot go into the season with chytil as the 3c and this new version of zib. I love chytil, but if they do that they are setting themselves up for issues, and buying a center at the deadline is insanely expensive.

We wont have the room to try to sign lindholm unless there are some major salaries moved (and if you add a player like that how are the centers laid out??).

Where is nyr finding a top 9 center that they can rely on. We need center depth, we NEED IT!

I mean we just won the President's Trophy with Mika having his worst season as a Ranger and our center depth consisting of Nick Bonino and Jonny Brodz for 2/3rds of the season. Chytil is going to be here. If anything they will dump Goodrow and replace him with a cheaper veteran. Edstrom should get some time in the middle as well. The defense is drastically more of an issue than center imo.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I mean we just won the President's Trophy with Mika having his worst season as a Ranger and our center depth consisting of Nick Bonino and Jonny Brodz for 2/3rds of the season. Chytil is going to be here. If anything they will dump Goodrow and replace him with a cheaper veteran. Edstrom should get some time in the middle as well. The defense is drastically more of an issue than center imo.
I really am tired of hearing about regular season's around here. For some reason people keep talking about reg season and such. For the better part of 5 years I have been preaching playoff team building and people dismiss it.

Now writers and others are acknowledging that this team as built might be able to get to conference finals but it consistently shows that it is not built for the next step. The panthers are a wonderful example of an org that found reg season success and then realized they needed to change how they are built in order to get to 16 wins.

I dont care about 55 wins, I care about how to get to 16 wins and what we have down the middle doesnt get there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad