Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
PLD has always had "work ethic/attitude" issues, Laine has never had that label attached. He's absolutely not a guy to lead a team, or wear a letter, and thats fine.
iu

Laine absolute has had "work ethic/attitude" issues...

Reactions: bernmeister

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
PLD is a year younger, and played in about 30 more games than the perennially injured Laine, and has produced about 40 less points.

PLD and Laine will always be linked due to that trade, but comparing team cancer PLD to injured and unhappy in Columbus Laine is grossly negligent.

Laine has been a PPG player in Columbus. PLD has never been a ppg player.
PLD has always had "work ethic/attitude" issues, Laine has never had that label attached. He's absolutely not a guy to lead a team, or wear a letter, and thats fine.

PLD in 82 games this year, put up less goals than Kakko at even strength. He's a buyout candidate. Laine will actually get a trade return, and should return some value. They'll return significantly more if they eat some cap.
I agree theyre similar in that, the Rangers should hard pass on both these guys because neither bring what we need to the table. At all.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
A Rangers - Buffalo trade I floated a while back…Trouba for Bynam.

Buffalo needs veteran leadership, a RHD (desperately) and Trouba has played for Ruff. Bynam doesn’t fit the Buffalo roster and is in the same place contract wise as KAndre.

Probably needs another piece or two to smooth things out and some salary retention but it fills needs for two teams. For Buffalo, it gives the young team the leadership it desperately craves. For the Rangers it could be Mika-Brassard II.

Very interested.

Reactions: McRanger92

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I agree theyre similar in that, the Rangers should hard pass on both these guys because neither bring what we need to the table. At all.
I mean laine is a pure shooter, exactly what we had in Vatrano, only laine is better.
I think we could absolutely use what he brings when he’s healthy and engaged.

Reactions: bbny

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
nothing confirmed but a little birdie told me there was a trouba acquisition possibility being floated on the isles side. nothing set in stone, curious to see if it pops up anywhere else

Trouba is the most Lamoreillo player of all time. Ive been joking with my islander fan friends about this and they are petrified of it happening, so Im really pulling for this haha

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I mean laine is a pure shooter, exactly what we had in Vatrano, only laine is better.
I think we could absolutely use what he brings when he’s healthy and engaged.
Vatrano is known as a "pure shooter", but he also brings tons of energy and good vibes to the lineup. Laine sucks the air out of the room. Key difference there.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Top 3 centers in the league don't generally hit UFA in their prime.

I feel like Tavares was the closest we've gotten in the cap era.
They generally don't, but it doesn't mean it won't happen. I see 5 ways it could go:

1. They trade him next summer for a huge haul
2. They trade him at the 2025-26 deadline for a huge haul
3. They trade his rights prior to him becoming UFA
4. He hits UFA and signs with another team
5. Edmonton re-signs him

The first two seem extremely unlikely to me. Edmonton is going to do everything they can to re-sign him. They aren't going to give up on that a year early, and they aren't going to trade him if they are solidly in a playoff spot. If they are out of it and it doesn't seem like they'll be able to re-sign him, then yeah, but that seems unlikely.

The last three options therefore are the most likely, and it comes down to what McDavid wants. If he wants to move on, he's moving on, and it's just a question of how and where.
Count me in on the Necas for K'Andre trade Brooksie snuck into his "dump Goodrow"(I also co-sign this) article over the weekend.

Vesey/Brodzinski/Edstrom replace everything Goodrow gives us for a lesser cap hit combined. Use that money and put it toward and upgrade in the top 6 or on D. I like Trenin if we want some veteran beef in the bottom 6. Joshua and Carrier are going to be expensive.
After we pay Necas all the money he wants, who is replacing Miller? Where is the cap coming from to do that?

Wing is the strongest position in our prospect pool. The last thing we should be doing is spending big bucks on a winger, especially at the expense of a position we have very little of (defense).

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
They generally don't, but it doesn't mean it won't happen. I see 5 ways it could go:

1. They trade him next summer for a huge haul
2. They trade him at the 2025-26 deadline for a huge haul
3. They trade his rights prior to him becoming UFA
4. He hits UFA and signs with another team
5. Edmonton re-signs him

The first two seem extremely unlikely to me. Edmonton is going to do everything they can to re-sign him. They aren't going to give up on that a year early, and they aren't going to trade him if they are solidly in a playoff spot. If they are out of it and it doesn't seem like they'll be able to re-sign him, then yeah, but that seems unlikely.

The last three options therefore are the most likely, and it comes down to what McDavid wants. If he wants to move on, he's moving on, and it's just a question of how and where.

After we pay Necas all the money he wants, who is replacing Miller? Where is the cap coming from to do that?

Wing is the strongest position in our prospect pool. The last thing we should be doing is spending big bucks on a winger, especially at the expense of a position we have very little of (defense).

Trade our excess wing prospects for a top defenseman. Simple. K'Andre really isnt that hard to replace.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Its not the worst idea… they all
Kinda suck in their own way.

Basically fox and Schneider are the only two i that really shouldnt be moved.
Miller has absolutely had his moments, but the guy has been glued to Trouba for far too long. He needs a steady D partner for a substantial amount of time to lock his game in. Hasn't been fair to him. I think there are many occasions where Trouba doing god knows what has forced Miller to do odd things and get out of position to try to make up for it. Schneids-Miller is a very solid pairing for the future.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I could see the Islanders working.

Trouba would waive because he and his wife could stay where they are. The Islanders are a caveman ass organization that will give up value for Trouba.

Rival teams do trades with each other. It's not unprecedented.

My concern would be grandpa Lou dumping a decade of Scott Mayfield on us.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
nothing confirmed but a little birdie told me there was a trouba acquisition possibility being floated on the isles side. nothing set in stone, curious to see if it pops up anywhere else
I have no idea how this would work unless it's for someone like JGP. Isles have both Dobson & Romanov up next off season. Def could see Trouba being a Lou guy but they def would need to send a contract back or NYR eating half for low end picks/prospects.

acor

Jan 13, 2012

Trouba would waive because he and his wife could stay where they are. The Islanders are a caveman ass organization that will give up value for Trouba.

While it would be brilliant to get rid of him, sabotage Islanders AND get some value out of it, all in one swoop, I'm not sure...

Something doesn't sits well with me with seeing former Rangers captain in Islanders jersey, even if it's Trouba

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007

But the current captain of the team? I haven’t looked but I am guessing that is unprecedented or damn near close to it.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But the current captain of the team? I haven’t looked but I am guessing that is unprecedented or damn near close to it.
We've traded our captain in the middle of contending before. Why not to the Islanders?

I know people don't like the Islanders, especially the older fans, but it's not like we'd be trading him to Carolina. We haven't played the Islanders in the playoffs in 30 years.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I have no idea how this would work unless it's for someone like JGP. Isles have both Dobson & Romanov up next off season. Def could see Trouba being a Lou guy but they def would need to send a contract back or NYR eating half for low end picks/prospects.
pageau was who made some sense to me as well but i have no idea what they'd be doing with that much $$ on their back end.

Reactions: surlysailor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad