Rollie the Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Heart tugs Melanson home

Mods feel free to move this to former canucks thread, just thought after 6 years, his impact on the org deserved a thread of its own. Apologies if topic is already discussed in another thread.

Hopefully our days as a goalie factory will continue.

I only fully appreciate what he has done when I consider teams like Oilers, Wild, Flyers, Jets, Leafs.

Don't know him personally, but wish him well.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I thought him leaving was cause of Benning but this clears it up. What a great person to do this best of luck to Rollie :)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A lot of people just assumed this position, which was based on nothing but a guess.

It didn't help that some particular members of our media were painting it as some sort of management conflict, presumably to stir up controversy and attention for themselves. Clearly without knowing all the facts, or willfully misrepresenting or omiting details. :dunno:

This clears a lot of things up.

Best of wishes to Rollie and his family. He did some great work here. Hopefully he can enjoy this time. He'll surely have an NHL gig available somewhere if/when he decides to come back to it.

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
It didn't help that some particular members of our media were painting it as some sort of management conflict, presumably to stir up controversy and attention for themselves. Clearly without knowing all the facts, or willfully misrepresenting or omiting details. :dunno:

This clears a lot of things up.

Best of wishes to Rollie and his family. He did some great work here. Hopefully he can enjoy this time. He'll surely have an NHL gig available somewhere if/when he decides to come back to it.

Was that Botchford?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I guess they didn't have many photos of Rollie in Canucks gear. That's a thousand-yard stare if I've ever seen one.

chicago-blackhawks-v-vancouver-canucks.jpeg

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Was that Botchford?

He is the king of this kind of stuff. He really does not do useful hockey related journalism. When he starts breaking some actual hockey news he can act like he has all of these sources in Vancouver. He is a terrible journalist who just reports other people's news and shares sarcastic lols with fans.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
He is the king of this kind of stuff. He really does not do useful hockey related journalism. When he starts breaking some actual hockey news he can act like he has all of these sources in Vancouver. He is a terrible journalist who just reports other people's news and shares sarcastic lols with fans.

Botchford reported on the now confirmed rumour that Melanson might be leaving the Canucks. He wrote in a very neutral way and included speculation that it was for personal reasons. The only people I can recall who were trying to paint this as some sort of management controversy were a few "contributors" to hfboards or some twerps on Twitter. Maybe some of the sports radio types were involved as well but I don't listen to them.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/0...-you-need-to-know-about-the-rollie-situation/

Botch is still a lot about inside jokes with his social media groupies but he has gotten a lot better as a reporter. Tarring him with this brush is grossly unfair (and I used to hate Botch).

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Botchford reported on the now confirmed rumour that Melanson might be leaving the Canucks. He wrote in a very neutral way and included speculation that it was for personal reasons. The only people I can recall who were trying to paint this as some sort of management controversy were a few "contributors" to hfboards or some twerps on Twitter. Maybe some of the sports radio types were involved as well but I don't listen to them.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/0...-you-need-to-know-about-the-rollie-situation/

Botch is still a lot about inside jokes with his social media groupies but he has gotten a lot better as a reporter. Tarring him with this brush is grossly unfair (and I used to hate Botch).

Of course you're correct, and as usual the people who rip on Botch don't seem to actually read what he writes. Or maybe don't understand how journalists work.

Oh and it seems like a few people in this thread didn't read Imac's latest bit of water-carrying. Here's an interesting quote from Rollie:

"And it’s harder with these jobs to go through the growing pains this team is going to go through the next couple of years"

Hmmmm

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Benning just said they are still working with Rollie, he may have a different role in the organization.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Utica is a lot closer to MTL than Vancouver. Maybe pay Rollie NHL goalie coach money to develop Demko in Utica?

The article refers to NB and Montreal, so it is hard to imagine him in Utica as well.

However, although I haven’t had time (or money) to look into it, as an example talking to Pasco and Alex at Elite Goaltending they spoke about some tech/apps that really extended the virtual goalie coaching role. I didn’t pay attention because I simply don’t have the time or money with ohsix to do it, but IIRC it involved taping your own games, and having an observer (mom or dad) tap on their iPhone each time a shot was taken. The app would automatically take the game tape and pare it down to just those segments tapped. Then remotely sent to goalie coach for analysis and near-instant turnaround. Presumably NHL teams have something more sophisticated (although when I look at the outdated shooter tutors they use, I sometimes wonder) that would just as easily work remotely.

I then dozed off for the rest of the presentation (sorry, it was a good presentation but I was super tired) but I vaguely recall through the haze something about shot tracking where they mentioned they could also track where all the shots were coming from and something about result – controlled save, rebound, goal. So lots of virtual coaching possibilities.

Having said all that, if it were me I’d just work with the Canadiennes’ farm team in N.B and commute back and forth with Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad