Rochester Amerks / Elmira Jackals Thread Summer 2014

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
We were only listeners of course but it sounded like Jacobs played well in Traverse, Bakes was certainly noting his apparent improvement. Not saying this is the right call but we're talking about a new year with young kids. Maybe he's ready to contribute, maybe not. Sundher, on the other hand, I just think is bound to wash out and shouldn't be taking anyone's spot at this point.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
We were only listeners of course but it sounded like Jacobs played well in Traverse, Bakes was certainly noting his apparent improvement. Not saying this is the right call but we're talking about a new year with young kids. Maybe he's ready to contribute, maybe not. Sundher, on the other hand, I just think is bound to wash out and shouldn't be taking anyone's spot at this point.
And he was awful at the preseason on Saturday. Jacobs has been a much bigger waste than Sundher. A new year has nothing to do with this. Irwin played over both for several months last season. This was a Murray move, and my thoughts on him, in regards to the Amerks, is certainly becoming more concerning.

10 games in we'll know what we already know. That Jacobs and Sundher can't compete at this level. Every point matters, especially with how mediocre the Amerks generally are. They being in the lineup could be costly.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
And he was awful at the preseason on Saturday. Jacobs has been a much bigger waste than Sundher. A new year has nothing to do with this. Irwin played over both for several months last season. This was a Murray move, and my thoughts on him, in regards to the Amerks, is certainly becoming more concerning.

10 games in we'll know what we already know. That Jacobs and Sundher can't compete at this level. Every point matters, especially with how mediocre the Amerks generally are. They being in the lineup could be costly.

With regards to Irwin, they could've kept both Jacobs and Irwin up by sending McPherson and Sundher down. I agree that Irwin is better than both.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Are there rules on who can be sent down to Elmira?

For example can one of the Sabres contract players be sent down? Is there a contract limit of who you can send down?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Are there rules on who can be sent down to Elmira?

For example can one of the Sabres contract players be sent down? Is there a contract limit of who you can send down?
9.6 Loans to East Coast Hockey League. Players who are party to an Entry Level SPC may be Loaned to the East Coast Hockey League ("ECHL") without the requirement of Player consent, provided the Player will continue to be paid the stated amount of the AHL portion of his two-way SPC.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@RSandersonWHTK -
Forward Akim Aliu is not yet under #Amerks contract, but discussions are ongoing.
Expect him to be part of the opening night roster.

Great to see former #Amerks D Brayden McNabb (@nabber03) making his #LAKings debut tonight on NBCSN.
(LaxSabre - he is being paired up with Drew Doughty on the top Kings Defenseman pairing.)

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
@RSandersonWHTK -
Forward Akim Aliu is not yet under #Amerks contract, but discussions are ongoing.
Expect him to be part of the opening night roster.

Great to see former #Amerks D Brayden McNabb (@nabber03) making his #LAKings debut tonight on NBCSN.
(LaxSabre - he is being paired up with Drew Doughty on the top Kings Defenseman pairing.)

This organization is beyond amusing. I'm all for Aliu being on the team. But it's amazing that 2 preseason games and a couple practices earns him a spot on the team, but Irwin playing a huge role in getting the team into the playoffs, and then scoring 3 goals in 5 playoffs games, is not enough.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Lol Aliu. Boy have the mighty fallen. Didn't know he was still kicking the tires around. Some were making a big deal out of him when he first went pro. No idea why really.

He was part of the power-forward craze in the middle of the decade.

Deleted member 27798

Why all the hand ringing over Irwin?

Has he been banished to Elmira for the entire season? NO

Have the Amerks even played one game yet? NO

Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that led to Irwin being sent to Elmira?

For all we know, Sundher and/or Jacobs could be in Elmira before the end of October, and Irwin back in Rochester.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

Maybe there is something going on behind the scenes that led to Irwin being sent to Elmira?

For all we know, Sundher and/or Jacobs could be in Elmira before the end of October, and Irwin back in Rochester.

I think it's pretty obvious what the issue is. Pretty simple.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Overreaction, hyperbole and hysteria?

No, no and no.

Irwin was one of the Amerks 2 or 3 best players over the last month, then easily one of the best in the playoffs. Cassidy said on the radio last night that Irwin earned his spot on the team. Yet he's still sent down. It's messed up and it's wrong. Jacobs and Sundher are never going to play for the Sabres and will be out of the organization soon.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
No, no and no.

Irwin was one of the Amerks 2 or 3 best players over the last month, then easily one of the best in the playoffs. Cassidy said on the radio last night that Irwin earned his spot on the team. Yet he's still sent down. It's messed up and it's wrong. Jacobs and Sundher are never going to play for the Sabres and will be out of the organization soon.

I agree. It seems like a call from above (I would guess Murray) to evaluate them and maybe to get their value up to the point where their contracts could be thrown into a trade. These two are probably the two lowest players in the organization with contracts and the likelihood of them being impact players in the AHL are slim, let alone for them to ever make it to Buffalo.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Amerks demote Irwin, McPherson; contracts win -- for now
Kevin Oklobzija

The guys who have NHL contracts won out, Cassidy said.

However, he pretty much inferred that's the case only for the short term.

"We need to give our contracted players a chance," he said.

He also said he needs to see more from second-year wingers Dan Catenacci and Colin Jacobs, and third-year winger Kevin Sundher.

"The guys are battling for the same type of spot, the fourth-line wing or to move up onto another line when there are injuries or recalls," Cassidy said. "I haven't felt as if any of those guys have separated themselves"

Sounds like those 3 players are competing for one spot.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
It's pretty clear that these guys are never going to make it to the NHL and they are taking the roster spot of someone who - while likely also not going to the NHL - has proven to be a contributor for the Amerks.

Cassidy's quote about the players under contract getting preference appears to me to be quoting the company line and that he's not too pleased about it.

Hopefully common sense will prevail sooner rather than later.

I don't know who made the call but assume it was Murray. But really, isn't this they way sports are?

The walk-on has a tougher row to hoe than the scholarship player, the camp invitee tougher than the contracted player. The first round pick plays while the undrafted free agent or 6th round pick with the stronger arm and better feel for the game languishes on the bench.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Irwin would be too good for the ECHL. I'd take that. Lol

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
The problem is that he's not a try out player. He played over Jacobs and Sundher for several months last season. He signed a contract over the summer. He earned big minutes last season, contributed in a big way, was rewarded with a contract over the summer and then sent away for no good reason.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@AmerksHockey - Roster Move - The #Amerks have signed training camp invitee and veteran forward Akim Aliu to a professional tryout.

The Rochester Americans announced today that the team has signed forward Akim Aliu to a professional tryout contract. Aliu, 25, appeared in 23 AHL games with Hamilton and Hartford last season, recording five points (4+1) and 25 penalty minutes. He also appeared in two games with AIK of the Swedish Hockey League.

A native of Okene, Nigeria, Aliu has played in 221 career AHL games with Rockford, Chicago, Peoria, Abbotsford, Hamilton and Hartford. Collecting 67 points (40+27) and 353 penalty minutes. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound Aliu was originally selected by the Chicago Blackhawks in the second round (56th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

@RSandersonWHTK - #Amerks have signed F Akim Aliu (@Dreamer_Aliu78) to a pro tryout contract. #AHL

@kevinoDandC - The #Amerks say they have signed LW Akim Aliu to a 25-game tryout contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad