Road to the Winter Classic 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Why do all the media articles about the game say it “could be” one of the coldest outdoor games in NHL history? How hard is it to research the coldest one to date? I haven’t seen any facts on that in any articles yet - lazy reporting.

GoBluz24

Established 1967
Apr 8, 2012
so ill near st lou
Why do all the media articles about the game say it “could be” one of the coldest outdoor games in NHL history? How hard is it to research the coldest one to date? I haven’t seen any facts on that in any articles yet - lazy reporting.

From Wikipedia:
The NHL's first regular season outdoor game ensued: the 2003 Heritage Classic, hosted by the Edmonton Oilers, who lost by a 4–3 score to the Montreal Canadiens. Though the game was played in frigid temperatures that went as low as −19 °C (−2 °F), it drew over 57,000 fans and was hailed as a success.[7]

So the record is -2F. It's currently -9F with a windchill of -26F. I would put money on tonight's game being the coldest modern era professional game. Hopefully me and the family can stay relatively warm tonight. And Let's Go Blues!!!

Reactions: tfriede2

Mar 6, 2012

Because they don't know what temperature it will be when they play the game?

It looks like it will be the coldest, but until it actually is, it's still not a guarantee.

Reactions: Majorityof1

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
warmup

russ.jpg

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Because they don't know what temperature it will be when they play the game?

It looks like it will be the coldest, but until it actually is, it's still not a guarantee.
The point was that none of the articles I read (including the one on CNN) stated the temp of the coldest game yet - it’s lazy reporting.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
The point was that none of the articles I read (including the one on CNN) stated the temp of the coldest game yet - it’s lazy reporting.
Probably because the weather isn't a guarantee... :rolleyes:
They're not going talk about it like it's certain more than 24 hours before puck drop.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The weather is not terrible if you’re layered, but it legitimately hurts to breathe

You learn to dress for it. I spent multiple winters working outdoors in Northern BC, the Yukon and Saskatchewan.

My worst day in the oilfields was -53c before windchill and -68c with windchill. That's -63F and -90F with windchill for those south of the border. It was a 17 hour day where I alternated in 15 minute shifts outside with my coworker all day so we could stay warm. I wore 3 layers of belaclavas, had 5 layers of sweaters under my coveralls. Winds in the Prairies was seldomly under 30 km/h (~19 mph) and we only started taking precautions against extreme weather when winds hit 60+ km/h (~38mph). I can recall working in 90 km/h winds (~55 mph) through winter conditions.

By contrast, working construction, railway work and oilfields a typical winter day was -20c to -30c (-4F to -22F). I wore 2 sweaters and my coveralls, one belaclava and took a warm up break every 3 to 4 hours. Railway work was particularly painful in the wind riding the side of steel box cars into the wind at 15 mph adding even more windchill factors into the equation.

You Southerners are spoiled and don't understand what the North deals with from November to March. Vancouverites and large swaths of the US seem to believe that 5c (41F) is cold. That's absolutely ridiculous. My hometown is expecting -20c (-4F) as a high for the next month, nothing will be shut down. The last time weather shut anything down for me here was when we got 42 inches of snow in a 32 hour window in 2017 - businesses closed for 2 days, to allow for snow removal to get caught up. The previous time in 2005, when we had cycling freeze thaws for a week and the roads turned into skating rinks - officials closed just about everything to allow for road crews to get things under control.

Reactions: JoshFromMO and jura

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019

You learn to dress for it. I spent multiple winters working outdoors in Northern BC, the Yukon and Saskatchewan.

My worst day in the oilfields was -53c before windchill and -68c with windchill. That's -63F and -90F with windchill for those south of the border. It was a 17 hour day where I alternated in 15 minute shifts outside with my coworker all day so we could stay warm. I wore 3 layers of belaclavas, had 5 layers of sweaters under my coveralls. Winds in the Prairies was seldomly under 30 km/h (~19 mph) and we only started taking precautions against extreme weather when winds hit 60+ km/h (~38mph). I can recall working in 90 km/h winds (~55 mph) through winter conditions.

By contrast, working construction, railway work and oilfields a typical winter day was -20c to -30c (-4F to -22F). I wore 2 sweaters and my coveralls, one belaclava and took a warm up break every 3 to 4 hours. Railway work was particularly painful in the wind riding the side of steel box cars into the wind at 15 mph adding even more windchill factors into the equation.

You Southerners are spoiled and don't understand what the North deals with from November to March. Vancouverites and large swaths of the US seem to believe that 5c (41F) is cold. That's absolutely ridiculous. My hometown is expecting -20c (-4F) as a high for the next month, nothing will be shut down. The last time weather shut anything down for me here was when we got 42 inches of snow in a 32 hour window in 2017 - businesses closed for 2 days, to allow for snow removal to get caught up. The previous time in 2005, when we had cycling freeze thaws for a week and the roads turned into skating rinks - officials closed just about everything to allow for road crews to get things under control.
Was it uphill both ways to the oil fields?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Probably because the weather isn't a guarantee... :rolleyes:
They're not going talk about it like it's certain more than 24 hours before puck drop.
I’m not sure where the miscommunication is here, but I’ll try to explain my stance again. My issue is that the articles talked about how the game could be the coldest ever and then never stated the temp of the coldest game to date. The reporters saw that it was going to be super cold tonight and then said “wow, it could be the coldest ever,” without actually researching the temp of the coldest to date. Thus, it’s lazy. They didn’t state what the temp must be in order for the record to be broken tonight.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
I’m not sure where the miscommunication is here, but I’ll try to explain my stance again. My issue is that the articles talked about how the game could be the coldest ever and then never stated the temp of the coldest game to date. The reporters saw that it was going to be super cold tonight and then said “wow, it could be the coldest ever,” without actually researching the temp of the coldest to date. Thus, it’s lazy. They didn’t state what the temp must be in order for the record to be broken tonight.
I've read a couple, and they all mention -2. That's specifically for hockey though.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Was it uphill both ways to the oil fields?

It's the Canadian Prairies... It's flat enough to watch your dog run away for 3 days. Despite your inference that I'm a boomer - I'm 31.

I'm just sick of hearing all of the complaining about "cold" weather for what isn't particularly bad by massive geographic span's perspective. Most major Canadian cities (Vancouver being the exception) find this Minnesota weather to be mild or seasonal. Russians laugh at it.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
Yeah, the ones I read were general national and local media. Anyway, I’ll stop complaining about it now, haha.
It might be that they just don't know for older games form the 50s (if you even consider those). They've said that it's definitely the coldest winter classic.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It all comes down to viewership and dollars.

Where would the extra viewers come from? The US? Certainly not Canada where everybody's watching Ottawa vs Toronto on Sportsnet. They could have gotten way better ratings from both Canada and Europe with an earlier start.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Where would the extra viewers come from? The US? Certainly not Canada where everybody's watching Ottawa vs Toronto on Sportsnet. They could have gotten way better ratings from both Canada and Europe with an earlier start.

It's not necessarily about where the extra viewers come from but rather the number of viewers from the same locations by starting it later. Also, the game is televised on TNT, so I'm not even sure they have a contract with Canadian distributors, but I'm not sure.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's not necessarily about where the extra viewers come from but rather the number of viewers from the same locations by starting it later. Also, the game is televised on TNT, so I'm not even sure they have a contract with Canadian distributors, but I'm not sure.

What?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad