Rivalry Night a Joke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
The early part of the game here between Washington and Pittsburgh is making you look pretty dumb right now, OP. Hell of a game. Lot of angst

SchennSational1022*

Dude it's called marketing. The Caps vs. Pens games are always great to watch, saying this as a Flyers fan.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Wait, can we address the other aspect of OP's post?

Just because there's less fighting now doesn't mean there's less emotion, less hatred, less angst, or less of a rivalry. That's such an incredibly short-sighted argument grounded in less reality than these rivalry nights are.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Hey it's fun to make fun of a flawed marketing slogan. As talkinaway wrote.... a more accurate slogan like this wouldn't work--->NBCSN's Wednesday Night Teams-From-The-US-That-We-Think-Are-The-Most-Compelling-Of-The-Games-That-The-NHL-Scheduled-For-Tonight-And-That-We-Think-Will-Get-Good-Ratings-Because-They're-From-Big-Hockey-Markets Night

My own slagging of this semi-accurate slogan is to call for playing on rivalries night the Florida Panthers against the Phoenix Coyotes so that you can have CATS versus Dogs an Historical Rivalry!!!:sarcasm::yo::nod:

The really only bad thing about this whole rivalries is that there are going to be about 15 or so teams that really won't fall into what the Network is looking for ratings-wise so that the league is partially segregated for those cities and teams that are favored over those that aren't. There are some practicalities involved but still as most sports leagues are, bigger cities will always have an advantage over smaller cities, which means the playing field isn't completely level but some smaller cities have had much success but it is as though one runner going long distance has a level run but another runner has a course where he has to run on a slightly up hill course although I know it can't be completely level those in the slightly more advantageous cities should be thankful and not arrogant.... there are some of both...thankful and arrogant in those cities.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
We need more dirty players and villains to stir up controversies

Despite what anyone thinks... Radulov would have been good for the league. Taunting fans and opposing players. Punching coaches and officials.

I remember when i use to play hockey and soccer. I would taunt people, do crazy celes, scream at opposing players, knee people, untie shoe laces, jump over goalies and knee them in the face, fake injuries, embellish. This was only in Mens league hockey and indoor rec league soccer too :sarcasm:

Through all my antics i only had one person confront me after a game. All i said was keep it on the ice.

Bettman...I'm the hero the NHL deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian of money, a watchful protector of profits. A dark knight."

Last edited:

Vladiator16*

Why is the name of the program a big deal?

Would you prefer Wednesday Night Hockey as a title? Or maybe no nationally televised hockey?

Exactly! Obviously there are a lot more Wednesdays then there are rivalries, but im sure any time Philly plays Pittsburg, or Pitts-Washington, Philly-Washington, MTL-Boston, they will try to promote them as rivalries, and thats only from EC, West has some too... i guess the point im trying to make there are few rivalries and NHL trying to capitalize on it, don't you want this sport to grow?

motorace

May 7, 2012
I love rivalry night hockey. maybe it's the fact that's it's on nbcsn that make the players turn it up a notch, regardless who the teams are.

I agree with the above poster, would hockey night Wednesday make you all feel better? lol

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
What defines a rivalry? Teams that have played each other in the playoffs in recent years? Is that all we are basing this on now?

Players on both the Pens and Caps have actually stated they do not like one another. I mean people can try to side step this as being a rivalry as much as they want... but when the fans of both teams say it's a rivalry, the teams say they don't like each other, the games are just a tad more chippy and on edge, the verbal sparring is more apparent, the playoff history is there... what else do you want?

Those who say the Pens-Caps aren't rivals are so far removed from the situation it's sad.

The irony is this is supposedly a manufactured rivalry but people who insist it does not exist have to try so hard to fight against a mountain of natural momentum. I mean this thing just happens, it's rich in history.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
In fairness, they more just pushed the Crosby v Toews "rivalry" than they did a Pitt-Chicago one.

And while I wouldn't call it a rivalry, I find it silly to complain about having to watch a great match up like that, regardless of how it was promoted.

As a Hawks/Pens fan, that was a great game for me to watch, but there's no way Chicago/Pittsburgh is a rivalry in any sense of the word. I get that it's just marketing, but it did make for a pretty funny Twitter feed that night.

As for Crosby vs. Toews, this has got to be the lamest fake rivalry ever. They've played together more than they have against each other, and they're constantly saying great things about each other. Every time the media tries to tell us there's a Crosby/Toews rivalry going on, I just laugh.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
they once had rangers/wings rivalry night...really?....these teams have not met in the playoffs since 1950!!!....I'm sure in the 1930's and 40's there was a rivalry but nothing since then....what a joke....then they wipped out these black and white films from way back when and tried to promote some intensity....then we have Chicago Pittsburgh another joke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad