The best...
Apr 14, 2005
1718252529756.png

🧮

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We build our own!

My guess is someone is already working on it to fill the void. But part of me wants to get a group together for an undertaking like this.

I hope so. Capfriendly was a lot more than just salary cap though. They had trades, waivers eligibility, ELC, and RFA info, etc. It's takes in depth knowledge of the CBA to do what they did. Not the BS that goes on here, but actually reading every word of it.
I've quoted the CBA many times, but I do word search, I haven't read the whole thing.

Also, Ted can go #$%# himself up his $%%^$%&. He's the main reason why my Caps fandom has diminished over the years. I quit following the Orioles and Commanders because of the owners as well. (I left Maryland before the Ravens and Nationals existed.)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I hope so. Capfriendly was a lot more than just salary cap though. They had trades, waivers eligibility, ELC, and RFA info, etc. It's takes in depth knowledge of the CBA to do what they did. Not the BS that goes on here, but actually reading every word of it.
I've quoted the CBA many times, but I do word search, I haven't read the whole thing.

Also, Ted can go #$%# himself up his $%%^$%&. He's the main reason why my Caps fandom has diminished over the years. I quit following the Orioles and Commanders because of the owners as well. (I left Maryland before the Ravens and Nationals existed.)

So, if I am reading this correctly, you are to blame for all this? Teddy needed to recoup what he lost in you, so he bought CF and the 3 guys that go with it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
it's honestly kinda f***ed up if you think about it that sports leagues consider basic information on player contracts to be like some sort of borderline trade secret, especially when they have a salary cap

Even worse that an organization valued at $1.6 billion with annual operating income of $74 million as reported by Forbes in 2023 sat there and had a hissy fit at the thought of having to hire someone to build a f***ing database, as if it has never been done before, so they ravaged the public domain. Also, the sob story where they portray it as though this was a multi-year project to get something built is annoying.

Even worse that there are apparently multiple organizations who have zero infrastructure and are left with no other plan. They were using this publicly available website with no affiliation to the league as their one and only gospel; that is shockingly stupid.

This is the type of news that keeps the NHL looking like it's operated by a bunch of f***ing idiots. Don't get me wrong IT IS operated by a bunch of f***ing idiots, but they are so flush with money (estimated $6.2 billion in revenue annually) that they should be able to hire some half decent PR and legal agencies to make them look like they aren't a bunch of f***ing idiots.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
wow I haven't seen something that says duck you and we are out of touch with our fanbase this much in a while.

I know several fantasy leagues that use that site regularly for a reference and even have scripting to pull some of the info into league spreadsheet.

Totally a first world problem but also wasn't at all necessary for an organization to create disruption.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
This just highlights how out of touch NHL teams are when it comes to internal software development.
You would think that in a billion dollar industry teams would invest in research and development of critical tools such as a cap manager.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I'm surprised the NHL itself does not provide this service to all NHL teams and have their own internal version of Capfriendly.

I mean, that would make an incredible amount of sense. But are you truly surprised that the NHL in its infinite wisdom doesn't do that?

Best sport, worst league.

it's honestly kinda f***ed up if you think about it that sports leagues consider basic information on player contracts to be like some sort of borderline trade secret, especially when they have a salary cap

I'm just waiting from the quote from Gary saying that fans told him they don't want or care about any of that information anyway and would rather it's kept secret.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I mean, that would make an incredible amount of sense. But are you truly surprised that the NHL in its infinite wisdom doesn't do that?

Best sport, worst league.

What I find even stranger is that all new contracts and signings and trades have to first go to NHL head office for approval in both legal contracts and Cap compliance in order for them to be approved.

So what is the NHL itself using for internal resources to log contracts and terms and clauses etc?.

I always then believes outside sources like Cap Friendly were provided that info for their sites through NHL approval and providing a service to the media etc.

Why would some NHL teams themselves be panicking at the loss of Cap Friendly when Gary Bettman/ Bill Daley should be able to provide all 32 NHL teams this info?.

However with Washington buying out Cap Friendly that suggest there is no NHL internal service for teams to rely on.

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah I think that's going to be to go-to for a while.. unfortunately I think their interface and user experience sucks comparatively.
Ideally, they improve all of that now that they will be the go-to.

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
I'm surprised the NHL itself does not provide this service to all NHL teams and have their own internal version of Capfriendly.
I mean, the league must have something, right? What are they looking at for reference before they approve any trades or signings? Just a massive Excel spreadsheet? Maybe Quickbooks? I guess I wouldn't put it past them, but man, they have 800 employees, how is there not an internal system available to all teams that standardizes the process and keeps everyone on the same page? Wild. I have to believe other sports leagues generally do this better.

Edit: Just saw your following post that largely asks the same questions, ha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad