Prospect Info: Riley Patterson (C/RW - OHL, Barrie Colts) | 125th Overall 2024 Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
C/RW | 6'0'' 192lbs | Right Shot

Ranked #90 by THN/KENNEDY
Ranked #95 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #158 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #89 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #61 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #82 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #113 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

Elite Prospects Scouting Report
After setting the OJHL ablaze as a 16-year-old, Riley Patterson joined the OHL’s Barrie Colts. The transition wasn’t immediate, but he closed the season scoring around a point-per-game in the second half and has generated top-three rounds buzz.

Best in transition, Patterson uses blazing crossovers and smooth puckhandling to attack the inside and catch the defence off-guard. Sometimes, he dangles through opponents before ripping a quickrelease wrister. Increasingly in the second half, he started finding open teammates and starting give-and-goes.

Patterson’s shot also projects favourably to the NHL. He pulls pucks around sticks before, hammers tricky passes for one-timers, and deceives goalies in tight.

“The links to all these skills are limited, but improving,” Elite Prospects Dir. of North American scouting Mitchell Brown wrote in February. “He missed opportunities to skate to the net and doesn’t effectively support the play at times. He instantly offloads the puck against forechecking pressure, especially along the wall. Variable motor and engagement in pursuit at 5-on-5."

Between the dynamic transition game, NHL shot, and flashes of playmaking, there’s no doubt that Patterson has NHL upside, potentially as a third-line scorer. But he must continue to improve his details and reads to reach that potential.

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Small highlight package. Good hands and shot in tight. Definitely notice his frame, it's NHL-sized.

March birthday so it's not like he's just a cutoff player using his size to produce. Seems he should have gone late 2nd early 3rd. Not sure why he was still around in the 4th, but we'll take it.

Reactions: Lindgren

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
On paper this pick seems really good and probably better than Fernstrom.

Interesting that last year was his first season in the OHL.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I noticed “C/RW” and just thought about how management love their versatile players.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I love this pick so much and it’s just such solid value for the 3rd round , and I really feel he could explode offensively next season

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
On paper this pick seems really good and probably better than Fernstrom.

Interesting that last year was his first season in the OHL.
I like this pick better even though Fernstrom probably has more scoring potential.
Patterson will be a much better all around player, especially if he can play C at higher levels.

Reactions: nucks88

Ad

Ad

Ad