Confirmed with Link: RFAs & UFAs | QOs: Kucherov, Killorn, others | Marchessault to FLA (updates post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Disagree about keeping Gourde. He should be allowed to find another organziation. It is interesting how Crunch fans see players one way or the other, yet the team was not very good this past season and ended last year on a double digit 0 fer. I hope the new coach motivates these young men to play to their EXPECTED potential rather than paycheck to paycheck.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Bolt Prospects Retweeted
Mike Gallimore ‏@mikegallimore 1h1 hour ago
All has been quiet on the Nikita Kucherov front but I'm told, without any specifics, TB made an initial offer a few days ago.

Joe Smith
‏@TBTimes_JSmith
Agent for Jonathan Marchessault (UFA) says #tblightning shown interest, plan to talk later this month. "He loves the place, wants to stay."

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
Bolt Prospects Retweeted
Mike Gallimore ‏@mikegallimore 1h1 hour ago
All has been quiet on the Nikita Kucherov front but I'm told, without any specifics, TB made an initial offer a few days ago.

Joe Smith
‏@TBTimes_JSmith
Agent for Jonathan Marchessault (UFA) says #tblightning shown interest, plan to talk later this month. "He loves the place, wants to stay."
I love JAM's shoot-first mentality on a team that far too often tries to make the pretty play. As much as I like J.T. Brown's speed, I would not mind us re-signing JAM for cheaper than Brown and then trading Brown (maybe in a Carle package?), because JAM has better finishing ability in my opinion. Then maybe slot in Richard/Vermin/Peca and sign a UFA to round out the bottom-6?

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
bolt prospects retweeted
mike gallimore ‏@mikegallimore 1h1 hour ago
all has been quiet on the nikita kucherov front but i'm told, without any specifics, tb made an initial offer a few days ago.

Joe smith
‏@tbtimes_jsmith
agent for jonathan marchessault (ufa) says #tblightning shown interest, plan to talk later this month. "he loves the place, wants to stay."

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

I think they're gonna do whatever they possibly can to keep him. I think they desperately want him - BUT desperately want him under their terms! Which means Steven is gonna have to make the call on whether he wants to stay for less money.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think they're gonna do whatever they possibly can to keep him. I think they desperately want him - BUT desperately want him under their terms! Which means Steven is gonna have to make the call on whether he wants to stay for less money.

which has be the case all along and stamkos has not signed off on it as of yet.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I can't decide if this is good news or bad news. Scary news, I guess, because if they don't get the right deal with Stammer, we could wind up screwed.

ADD: If we do sign Stammer, we HAVE to get Filppula off the roster. I like Johnson-Stamkos as a 1-2 punch, but we can't have 5m tied up in the #3. Maybe Yzerman feels the same way? I can't see how we make a Stamkos deal and keep Flip around.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
This really worries me if true. IMO even the $7.5M AAV he made on his last contract is too much given his performance in the playoffs, the question marks surrounding his health, the stagnant cap, and the other players we have to resign.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can't find it on twitter, but I just got one of those twitter e-mails saying we made an offer to Kucherov a few days ago.

ADD:

Bolt Prospects Retweeted
Mike Gallimore ‏@mikegallimore 5h5 hours ago

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Not sure desperate is the right word to use. If there was any desperation to these negotiations, from either side, than this deal would have been done a long time ago. Obviously Yzerman is being careful about using up too much of the cap. That cap space is extremely valuable whether it's used on 91 or other core pieces. And either way for Stamkos, wherever he's playing in October, he's still going to make a lot of money.

Something I've been thinking about is that July 1st doesn't have to be a deadline. Stammer becomes a UFA on that day, but that doesn't mean both parties can't still negotiate with each other. It depends how much they still want to make this work.

Now in a perfect world if you're a GM or a pending UFA, you want a decision made before then. If you're Yzerman, you want this contract done or know it's definitely not going to happen so you can move on, prepared for Day 1 of free agency, and attack the rest of your GM checklist accordingly. Same with Stammer. If there's no deal with TB, you want to switch your attention to the market and sign early with another team before they too try filling up the rest of their rosters. Waiting too long will jeopardize the number of teams you want to go to, and the amount of money they'll throw your way.

So maybe that doesn't even make sense. I guess I'm just hopeful since both sides have expressed they really want to get this done, that they'll eventually find a way to make it work, even if that means making this Stammergeddon last a little longer.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not sure desperate is the right word to use. If there was any desperation to these negotiations, from either side, than this deal would have been done a long time ago. Obviously Yzerman is being careful about using up too much of the cap. That cap space is extremely valuable whether it's used on 91 or other core pieces. And either way for Stamkos, wherever he's playing in October, he's still going to make a lot of money.

Something I've been thinking about is that July 1st doesn't have to be a deadline. Stammer becomes a UFA on that day, but that doesn't mean both parties can't still negotiate with each other. It depends how much they still want to make this work.

Now in a perfect world if you're a GM or a pending UFA, you want a decision made before then. If you're Yzerman, you want this contract done or know it's definitely not going to happen so you can move on, prepared for Day 1 of free agency, and attack the rest of your GM checklist accordingly. Same with Stammer. If there's no deal with TB, you want to switch your attention to the market and sign early with another team before they too try filling up the rest of their rosters. Waiting too long will jeopardize the number of teams you want to go to, and the amount of money they'll throw your way.

So maybe that doesn't even make sense. I guess I'm just hopeful since both sides have expressed they really want to get this done, that they'll eventually find a way to make it work, even if that means making this Stammergeddon last a little longer.

I've thought for a while that Stamkos is going to wait until the window opens for him to talk to other GMs. Something like the 25th? That's the only point where his people will get a clear idea of how much he'd be giving up to sign with TB. If we're offering him 9, and someone else is offering him 10, he likely stays. But if that other offer is 13, he's gone.

But Stammer's value is such a murky thing. With his performance since the broken leg, no one's entirely sure what teams would be willing to offer, and that probably includes Stammer's camp. So, yeah, I think once they get an idea how much $ is out there for him, they'll know what they want from TB.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If I was Yzerman and wanted to keep Stamkos you have to try anyway you can to get rid of Carle and possibly Filppula or Callahan. Which I think is possible. You might have to get rid of picks though and possibly retain some salary. These guys were on good Lightning teams though. They have value to a team that would like some experience and leadership.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/yzerman-hopes-to-have-clarity-on-stamkos-by-weekend/2282444
Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman has maintained his goal and intention is to sign captain Steven Stamkos to a long-term deal.

And Yzerman is hoping to have some answers by this weekend.

Stamkos, like other players set to be unrestricted free agents July 1, can start talking to other teams on Saturday in an exclusive interview window.

Yzerman said he's had discussions with Stamkos and agent Don Meehan since the season ended but insists nothing has changed.

"We're doing all we can to sign him," Yzerman told the Tampa Bay Times Monday.
as DFC said, this could be the make or break point.
"What we look like if Stammer re-signs with us, it effects what we can do with our team," Yzerman said. "For us, we'd like to know sooner than later."

"At some point on other players, I have to make a decisions, whether it'd be restricted free agents, or potential trades or qualifying offers and things like that. I've got to make decisions and they can't be put off forever."
Most likely kills my thoughts from a few posts up
If the Lightning realizes it can't sign Stamkos, it could try to trade his rights, but would need the captain's permission as he has a full no-move clause. A team acquiring Stamkos would then be able to sign him for eight years, an advantage over other teams who can only give him seven as a UFA.

But Yzerman said, at this point, he's only spoken with Stamkos and his agents about signing him, not trading his rights. Yzerman is hoping they'll have a "clear idea of where we are" prior to this weekend.

"To be honest with you, it's out of my control," Yzerman said. "He's an unrestricted free agent on July 1. I can't force him to sign a contract with us if he doesn't want to. If he wants to go to July 1, he has that right."
Yzerman said they've reached out to all their pending UFA and RFAs (like Kucherov, Alex Killorn, Vladislav Namestnikov, J.T. Brown, Cedric Paquette), but no deals yet. Yzerman said using a buyout is "always an option" though wouldn't go into specifics; D Matt Carle is thought to be a candidate, at $5.5 million cap hit, with the buyout window running until June 30.
Probably waiting on 91 first

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
If I was Yzerman and wanted to keep Stamkos you have to try anyway you can to get rid of Carle and possibly Filppula or Callahan. Which I think is possible. You might have to get rid of picks though and possibly retain some salary. These guys were on good Lightning teams though. They have value to a team that would like some experience and leadership.
That is what I am thinking. I think "exhaust every possible Carle trade" may be just ahead of "wrap up the Stamkos situation" on his checklist. Not having that extra 2 years of cap hit from a buyout would be very nice.

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/yzerman-hopes-to-have-clarity-on-stamkos-by-weekend/2282444
as DFC said, this could be the make or break point.
Most likely kills my thoughts from a few posts upProbably waiting on 91 first

"If the Lightning realizes it can't sign Stamkos, it could try to trade his rights, but would need the captain's permission as he has a full no-move clause. A team acquiring Stamkos would then be able to sign him for eight years, an advantage over other teams who can only give him seven as a UFA."

Now I am confused. I thought we would have to do an actual sign then trade for another team to get him at 8 years?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Filppula is the guy I'm looking at, mainly (Carle to me is a foregone conclusion), because he's a center and we have replacements in the organization for 3C. Namestnikov, Paquette, and maybe even Richard can compete for that spot internally. In years to come, Peca and Point will also be there. We have a lot of centers in the organization who look like they'll play in the NHL, so 3C shouldn't be a tough spot to fill.

Not sure what Flip's value is. Probably low, but I don't think it's negative just yet. The issue would be, I think we'd only be able to trade him to contending teams, so we'd likely have to retain.

That is what I am thinking. I think "exhaust every possible Carle trade" may be just ahead of "wrap up the Stamkos situation" on his checklist. Not having that extra 2 years of cap hit from a buyout would be very nice.

Yzerman will likely try to trade Carle up until the last possible minute of the buyout window. Either way, I don't think he's gonna leave $5.5m of dead cap on the roster.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
"If the Lightning realizes it can't sign Stamkos, it could try to trade his rights, but would need the captain's permission as he has a full no-move clause. A team acquiring Stamkos would then be able to sign him for eight years, an advantage over other teams who can only give him seven as a UFA."

Now I am confused. I thought we would have to do an actual sign then trade for another team to get him at 8 years?

It's essentially that. We'd have to trade him and they'd have to sign him before July 1st. Before he earns UFA status

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Again I'll make this easy only the Lightning can sign Stamkos to a 8 year contract. Trading his right does nothing but let a team talk to him about a deal. If the Lightning sign Stamkos for 8 years and then Stamkos waives his nmc to go to say the Rangers for Stephan that how the sign and trade can work.

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
Again I'll make this easy only the Lightning can sign Stamkos to a 8 year contract. Trading his right does nothing but let a team talk to him about a deal. If the Lightning sign Stamkos for 8 years and then Stamkos waives his nmc to go to say the Rangers for Stephan that how the sign and trade can work.
Which again is what I said. I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. :laugh:

VasilyKucherov

Jun 18, 2016
What are you saying ?
Trading his rights means giving a team a window before others to negotiate a 7-year deal with his agent.

Signing and trading him means he waives his NMC and then his agent negotiates an 8-year deal with the team he will go to. We then sign him to that contract and trade him to that team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Trading his rights means giving a team a window before others to negotiate a 7-year deal with his agent.

Signing and trading him means he waives his NMC and then his agent negotiates an 8-year deal with the team he will go to. We then sign him to that contract and trade him to that team.

Correct on both yes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad