RFA/UFA Decisions???

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which players, with NHL experience, should the Kings not bother resigning before next season ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
No to Lizotte. - he will make 2 mill a year. Can sign two lesser players for the same amount and experience very little falloff as he plays minor minutes.

Roy - love him, but we have three other players that can play the right side. Two of them are very cheap. Roy is also a smaller build. Would rather put that money finding a beefy left shot defenseman

Lewis - would rather give the kids a chance. Since he would make league minimum I wouldn’t be against signing him to a league minimum deal. Could have him sitting in the press box as he does offer ability to play the penalty, kill etc., if we have a bottom for injury.

Copley - no. We have big Dave signed in a role that either offer us a back up or a waiver eligible guy to go to the AHL if needed. Portillo needs the reps in the AHL and we had a goalie getting reps in the ECHL that needs AHL time.

Grundstrum - maybe - if he takes this salary or less. He disappears for long stretches at a time. I’m ready to move on if he does want a raise.

Byfield- Turcotte - Thomas - Kaliyev need to come back. If some team pays a second plus for Kaliyev move him if he is that out of flavor.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I should also preface this by saying that Byfield has to be done now so management knows what kind of celery structure they have to play with. To our roster going forward . I would even settle for a two-year 4.5 million a year contract and then pay him handsomely when Kopi’s deal is done. It also gives her two year buffer. To see if he will take that next couple of steps.

Right after Byfield, my next step is getting Spence, Turcotte, and Thomas under contract. This team has to look at our future instead of our past. We need those youth on the team with their less expensive contracts to balance the massive contracts held by Drew, Fiala and PLD.

If management could get Gavrikov to waive his no trade contract that would also be another key move. Move him and then poach a cheaper, McNabb or whitecloud from Vegas. Gav is good, but if I’m paying a guy for no offense I would rather have a guy with bite.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I’m guessing Lizotte and Grundstrom have chances to return.

Still want:

Byfield Kopitar Lafferiere
Turcotte Dubois Kempe
Fiala Danault Moore
Grundstrom Helenius Thomas
Lee

UFA Forward?

Reactions: Surf Nutz

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Fiala-Byfield(4M)-Kempe
xxxxx-Kopitar-Kaliyev(900K)
Moore-Danault-Lafreniere
Turcotte(900K)-Thomas(850K)-Grundstrom(1.3M)
xxxxxx

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
xxxxxxx-Spence(1M)
Englund

xxxxxx
Portillo (900K)

Retention / Termination:
Provorov 2.025M
Richards 700K

AHL:
Rittich (1M cap savings)
PLD (1.15M cap savings)

Cap Space: 12M

• Wow

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Fiala-Byfield(4M)-Kempe
xxxxx-Kopitar-Kaliyev(900K)
Moore-Danault-Lafreniere
Turcotte(900K)-Thomas(850K)-Grundstrom(1.3M)
xxxxxx

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Clarke
xxxxxxx-Spence(1M)
Englund

xxxxxx
Portillo (900K)

Retention / Termination:
Provorov 2.025M
Richards 700K

AHL:
Rittich (1M cap savings)
PLD (1.15M cap savings)

Cap Space: 12M

Doesn't a NMC mean a player can't be sent to the minors? Plus putting PLD in the minors is an admission they made an error, something they never do, (see hanging on to all the 2019 picks despite their value cratering) and it's not something that is going to give the Kings a good rep around the league.

It seems they have have totally soured on Kaliyev, this would be a Jake DeBrusk type situation if he found his way back into LA's Top 6, way more likely he's gone.

Byfield would be foolish to take a $4m a year bridge deal, there is a reason that these deals don't happen to often with younger players anymore, all it takes is one major injury (Josh Norris) or a terrible season (Zegras) and you could be costing yourself tens of millions of dollars. Norris was one of many who cashed in, Zegras is one of the few who took a bridge. Friedman has said many times on his podcast that the prevailing opinion around the NHL is if you believe in a player, you just lock them up for as many years as possible. But this is the Kings, and we know this organization goes to the beat of it's own drum, rather than following conventional wisdom, so who knows. The fact that Pravda was pushing a bridge deal makes me think that is what the organization wants. I just really hope they don't dig in, and this contract negotiation doesn't linger into camp or beyond.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Doesn't a NMC mean a player can't be sent to the minors? Plus putting PLD in the minors is an admission they made an error, something they never do, (see hanging on to all the 2019 picks despite their value cratering) and it's not something that is going to give the Kings a good rep around the league.
You're right. He can't be waived unless he agrees to it. I was just dreaming I guess.
Byfield would be foolish to take a $4m a year bridge deal, there is a reason that these deals don't happen to often with younger players anymore, all it takes is one major injury (Josh Norris) or a terrible season (Zegras) and you could be costing yourself tens of millions of dollars. Norris was one of many who cashed in, Zegras is one of the few who took a bridge. Friedman has said many times on his podcast that the prevailing opinion around the NHL is if you believe in a player, you just lock them up for as many years as possible. But this is the Kings, and we know this organization goes to the beat of it's own drum, rather than following conventional wisdom, so who knows. The fact that Pravda was pushing a bridge deal makes me think that is what the organization wants. I just really hope they don't dig in, and this contract negotiation doesn't linger into camp or beyond.
I the reason I speculated short term deal is becuase LA seems to be making decisions that favor the short term (not trading Roy for example). Kopitar is signed for 2 more years, so QB on a short term deal would maximize what they could get out of the roster while AK is still here.

A LTC for QB would probably be around 8.5M right now. I'd do it. We don't know what Byfield's camp is thinking though. He signs a 1 year deal, has a break out year, and could sign for 8x10M+ next offseason.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I've given up on Grundstrom. I like the player he's supposed to be, but he's seldom that player.
I'm ok if he moves on. He could help a tema out with proper deployment. I don't see him bringing much more than others can bring at a cheaper cost.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
PLD - Byfield - Fiala
Kempe - Kopitar - Fagemo/Turcote/Laffy
Moore - Danault - Fagemo/Turcote/Laffy
AJ Greer - Bjugstad - Thomas/Turcs/Laffy
Matt Martin - Fagemo/Thomas

Anderson - DD
Gravikov - Clarke
Englund - Spence
Moverare

Gibson
Rittich

Last edited:
  • Love

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Keep Jordan Spence and that's it.

19.9M in cap space.

Re-sign Byfield 4.5M x 2
Re-sign Spence 2.5M x 3
Re-sign Fagemo 900k x 1
Re-sign Thomas 900k x 2
Re-sign Turcotte 950k x 2
Re-sign Lee 900k x 1
Re-sign Portillo 950k x 3

Philip Danault, Trevor Moore / Linus Ullmark, Trent Frederic trade

Sign Alec Martinez 2M x 1
Sign A.J. Greer 1.25M x 2
Sign Yakov Trenin 3M x 3

New team:

Byfield - Dubois - Fiala
Turcotte - Kopitar - Kempe
Trenin - Frederic - Fagemo
Greer - Thomas - Laferriere
*Lee

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Martinez - Spence
*Englund

Ullmark
Rittich

• Wow
Reactions: YP44 and Surf Nutz

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Very interesting results.

Especially when you look at how often the Kings deploy some of the players with high do not resign vote totals.

Thanks to those who voted , I guess.

Definite thanks to those who voted and have the huevos to make comments.

There are some very interesting and refreshing ideas coming from the fan base here.

The poll is slated to remain open until roughly pre season 24/25.

Buckle up Tkachuk's!

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I voted Maltsev because he signed a one year deal and then went back to Russia in like December and I wanted to see the results of the vote.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad