Value of: Retooling the Kings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m not great with the CBA. If a team, let’s say Calgary acquired Jeff Carter and Carter retired, would Calgary still be stuck with his cap hit on their books for the next 4 years? Or does the cap hit disappear if the player retires.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I’m not great with the CBA. If a team, let’s say Calgary acquired Jeff Carter and Carter retired, would Calgary still be stuck with his cap hit on their books for the next 4 years? Or does the cap hit disappear if the player retires.

I believe disappears as his contract was an under 35. However Carter has the cap-recapture penalty and I am not sure if Calgary would be on the hook for some of that.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
problem is there is no top end D coming up. Clague was looking good but now seems to have stalled. If LA is trading Toffoli, Carter, Muzzin or Martinez a prospect on D is at the top of my list for a return.

From what I’ve read, Clague should be a contender to make the roster next year and I would assume Brickley as well. But also we got Mikey Anderson (wearing the C for USA at WJC right now) and Markus Phillips (playing really well for Canada at WJC right now).

Brickley-Doughty
Forbort-Walker
Phaneuf-Fantenberg/LaDue

That defense would be fine with me. I’m tired of watching the Kings lose 1-0, 2-1, etc.

No point having the defense we have if we can’t score. The Vegas game night last was a perfect/frustrating example

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
From what I’ve read, Clague should be a contender to make the roster next year and I would assume Brickley as well. But also we got Mikey Anderson (wearing the C for USA at WJC right now) and Markus Phillips (playing really well for Canada at WJC right now).

Brickley-Doughty
Forbort-Walker
Phaneuf-Fantenberg/LaDue

That defense would be fine with me. I’m tired of watching the Kings lose 1-0, 2-1, etc.

No point having the defense we have if we can’t score. The Vegas game night last was a perfect/frustrating example

They have some prospects but I don't see anyone who is a lock as a guy who can lead a pair. Bunch of 4-6 guys

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
They have some prospects but I don't see anyone who is a lock as a guy who can lead a pair. Bunch of 4-6 guys

True, but I think at most they would just need to pick up someone on D that's a UFA. We are 31st in scoring. We need some f***ing offense haha.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
True, but I think at most they would just need to pick up someone on D that's a UFA. We are 31st in scoring. We need some f***ing offense haha.

I think the young offense could come with the guys LA has already drafted. The D is a bigger long term issue IMO

IsleNmetFan4Life

Feb 16, 2012
Would either Sebastian Aho or Adam Pelech be enticing enough as a main piece in a deal for Jake Muzzin? Obviously the Isles would have to add, but I figure a cost-controlled young d-man would be good for a rebuilding Kings team.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Most of the kings players are too old or not good enough to garner much interest. They are far past the point of a retool and are in full rebuild mode, which they will be in for a while. I think moving anyone you can for futures is a good call but if its for anything immediate it'll be a mistake

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Would either Sebastian Aho or Adam Pelech be enticing enough as a main piece in a deal for Jake Muzzin? Obviously the Isles would have to add, but I figure a cost-controlled young d-man would be good for a rebuilding Kings team.

What does Aho project to be? I think we already have similar level prospects in our system. I read a comparison to Lubo, which is obviously great, but I lost interest when the author said that he was better than Doughty at preventing shots, cough, homer, cough.

In-Depth Player Evaluation: Sebastian Aho

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
problem is there is no top end D coming up. Clague was looking good but now seems to have stalled. If LA is trading Toffoli, Carter, Muzzin or Martinez a prospect on D is at the top of my list for a return.

Yeah I agree that it’s time for LA to focus on acquiring young defencemen. I feel this years draft is fairly strong for defence as well. If they get draft picks for those players there will be a good amount of talent.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
I think the young offense could come with the guys LA has already drafted. The D is a bigger long term issue IMO

Well it really depends on how some of the current young progress moving forward. Clague is only 20 and Anderson & Phillips are only 19. I think we'd be fine for a year or two if we moved on from Muzzin/Martinez but we definitely need some options in case these three young guys down work out.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
That does nothing for LA. I'd rather have Toffoli over Heinen. Lauzon is useless in LA. They already have like 17 LHD and don't need to add more.

If the Kings were moving Toffoli it should be for an overpayment. Definitely need a 1st+ coming back or we can put him in a package for a better player coming back like Nylander. No reason to move him for LA.

Martinez is one of those underrated Dmen. He can play in all parts of the lineup. Great in his own end and decent on the offensive side. He's not gonna put up a lot of points be he will keep the points off the board. Moves the puck well and skates well too. He's a good #4 but an excellent #5 on a deep blue line.

The problem for LA is that they have to use him as a #3. Which he is not.

Hopefully a 1st+lower tier prospect. But most likely a 2nd+good prospect.

Thanks for the write up. As you may or not be aware of Hainsey is on our top pairing. Reilly does the heavy lifting out of the Duo. Provided he can Skate and can clear bodies I think that may be a player the TML could live with. Issue is we would likely want to swap Zaitsev plus. Not really sure Kings fans would be interested due to his term. He is not awful but not great, he is a 4/5 and his cap hit is a little high.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Thanks for the write up. As you may or not be aware of Hainsey is on our top pairing. Reilly does the heavy lifting out of the Duo. Provided he can Skate and can clear bodies I think that may be a player the TML could live with. Issue is we would likely want to swap Zaitsev plus. Not really sure Kings fans would be interested due to his term. He is not awful but not great, he is a 4/5 and his cap hit is a little high.

From this King fan there is no way I’m taking Zaitsev back as he is a bottom pair guy making way to much money for far far to long. If it was a year or two sure, but his contract no chance

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I believe disappears as his contract was an under 35. However Carter has the cap-recapture penalty and I am not sure if Calgary would be on the hook for some of that.

LA would be on the hook for the recapture penalty as they're the ones with the most benefit. That's why a threat of Carter retirement was speculated by McKenzie as a de facto NTC.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No 1st added with Heponiemi, this kid is one of the top prospects outside the NHL. I'd do a conditional 2nd but not 1st.

I've been on board with any of your Quick moves but Heponiemi in particular intrigues me because of his link to Kupari as well as he seems to fit the Kings' new model of "copy what everyone else is doing" haha.

Hey guys, don't usually post here so try not to flame me too hard...

NYI 1st
Calgary second
Kieffer Bellows
Adam Pelech

for

Jeff Carter
Alec Martinez

How does that look? Too little/too much? I think there's a trade to be made between these two teams

I don't think that's bad at all if Carter could be convinced.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Absolutely move Vilardi in a deal for Nylander, Vilardi is a huge question mark moving forward, you realize this right?

I think Vilardi has more value to the Kings than anyone else at this point because of the risk, but if someone is going to give you full value, then yeah, I'd begrudgingly trade him with Muzzin for Nylander.

I don't think TO considers that for a second, though.

Reactions: YP44

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

I would've taken Zaitsev with a huge plus back because I don't think he is as bad as others make him out to be. His contract is a cap killer. The problem the Kings have is that they already have their own Zaitsev in Phanuef. A bottom pairing Dman with an over priced cap hit. So I doubt LA makes a move like that.

I've been on board with any of your Quick moves but Heponiemi in particular intrigues me because of his link to Kupari as well as he seems to fit the Kings' new model of "copy what everyone else is doing" haha.

That's kind of why I wanted him. He has showed great chemistry with Kupari wherever they have played. And I'm fine with copying everyone else until we find a new way to beat that style of play.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

I don’t think so. Let’s forget all the guys we have on the current NHL roster besides Doughty. In two years, our defense could be:

Clague - Doughty
Anderson - Brickley
Phillips - LaDue

That could be a great defense.

Reactions: go4hockey

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think Vilardi has more value to the Kings than anyone else at this point because of the risk, but if someone is going to give you full value, then yeah, I'd begrudgingly trade him with Muzzin for Nylander.

I don't think TO considers that for a second, though.

No they dont I was more pushing back at the thought of not moving vilardi at any cost as absurd

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In a modern rebuild, what generally happens is a team like the LA Kings looking to "retool" will end up having to get rid of their veterans for modest return. The team will naturally sink to the bottom of the standings and that tanking is what will yield your next generation superstars. What you really get will be the raw assets to help fuel the rebuild as well as the cap space to maneuver later on.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
The Kings have a lot more offensive pieces than people realize too. The Kings definitely need a game breaker and a top five pick this year could do it. Even still, the Kings have a pretty good third line in Wagner - Kempe - Luff. There’s also the current top line of Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown, which isn’t going anywhere in the near future (and with the emergence of Iafallo, things are looking pretty good). We have the makings of a great second line already with Kupari - Vilardi - Anderson-Dolan. Do we have a fourth line? We have guys like Amadio, Clifford, Brodzinski, Sodergran, and Lewis.

So without any additions to the roster whatsoever, in two years we could look like this:

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Anderson-Dolan - Vilardi - Kupari
Wagner - Kempe - Luff
Sodergran - Amadio - Lewis

Clague - Doughty
Anderson - Brickley
Phillips - LaDue

Peterson
Campbell

Add in our pick in 2019 (Hughes? Kakko?) and anything we get back when we trade guys like Toffoli/Martinez/Muzzin/Quick and we could have a pretty good team.

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don’t think so. Let’s forget all the guys we have on the current NHL roster besides Doughty. In two years, our defense could be:

Clague - Doughty
Anderson - Brickley
Phillips - LaDue

That could be a great defense.

In two years, a defense comprised of Doughty, an NHL/AHL tweener and four non-blue chip prospects could be great?

I mean, I guess anything could happen but I'd bet the house that this is a lineup that will never play together at the NHL level.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
In two years, a defense comprised of Doughty, an NHL/AHL tweener and four non-blue chip prospects could be great?

I mean, I guess anything could happen but I'd bet the house that this is a lineup that will never play together at the NHL level.

Sure, probably not. But Phillips is playing well for Canada at the WJC, Anderson is the captain for USA, Clague is a blue chip prospect, and Brickley was a highly-touted college prospect. Will that lineup play together? No, probably not, nor should they. Nor should the entire lineup I posted. There will be free agent signings and there will be trades. My point was there’s actually a fair bit of depth in the Kings’ organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad