Value of: Retooling the Kings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Absolutely move Vilardi in a deal for Nylander, Vilardi is a huge question mark moving forward, you realize this right?

I'm not on the freak out train about his back like the rest of you. He's only 19...he'll be fine. He's only been out of the draft for 2 years. Give him some f***ing time! Just cause he's had high expectations and not hit them after 2 years is not a reason to dump the kid. I'm not moving any of the youth.

I would love to get Nylander but realistically we don't have the assets for him. Well not the ones we should be moving.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm not on the freak out train about his back like the rest of you. He's only 19...he'll be fine. He's only been out of the draft for 2 years. Give him some ****ing time! Just cause he's had high expectations and not hit them after 2 years is not a reason to dump the kid. I'm not moving any of the youth.

I would love to get Nylander but realistically we don't have the assets for him. Well not the ones we should be moving.

Kid's career could be over, but you wanna keep him, and not get a BETTER young asset, who has PROVEN he can play in the NHL...

Yea, makes sense.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
This was the same concern with Patrick, who had a worse injury history than Vilardi did. The Kid is 19, it's impossible to make any kind of call at this point.

Disagree,

Patrick was able to play a full season of junior hockey,something that Vilardi was NEVER able to do.

Not only that, Patrick was able to correct his injury when it was properly diagnosed, not the case with Vilardi right now.

But if you have the chance to acquire a Nylander and the cost is Vilardi, bye Gabe, good luck, that's a no brainer.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys, don't usually post here so try not to flame me too hard...

NYI 1st
Calgary second
Kieffer Bellows
Adam Pelech

for

Jeff Carter
Alec Martinez

How does that look? Too little/too much? I think there's a trade to be made between these two teams

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, don't usually post here so try not to flame me too hard...

NYI 1st
Calgary second
Kieffer Bellows
Adam Pelech

for

Jeff Carter
Alec Martinez

How does that look? Too little/too much? I think there's a trade to be made between these two teams

Think Carter has hinted he would retire before leaving LA? I could be wrong but I think NYI should stay put with assets and try and sign UFA guys next year if need be and continue to filter the prospects through the lineup. Trotz has them playing some solid hockey.

Maybe make it a smaller deal for Martinez alone?

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Think Carter has hinted he would retire before leaving LA? I could be wrong but I think NYI should stay put with assets and try and sign UFA guys next year if need be and continue to filter the prospects through the lineup. Trotz has them playing some solid hockey.

Ah, was unaware - he was listed in the OP so I figured I'd give it a go. The Isles biggest hole to me feels like it's at LD, but it also feels strange trading for D when the team leads the league in goals allowed. Does Bellows + Pelech + 1st get it done for Muzzin?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ah, was unaware - he was listed in the OP so I figured I'd give it a go. The Isles biggest hole to me feels like it's at LD, but it also feels strange trading for D when the team leads the league in goals allowed. Does Bellows + Pelech + 1st get it done for Muzzin?

https://www.tsn.ca/kings-f-carter-i-don-t-want-to-go-anywhere-1.1228722

Carter can't block a trade as he has no NMC/NTC protection so anything can happen but the link above states near the bottom of possible retirement since his contract was front end loaded and him wanting to stay in LA.

I think LA would be silly not to consider that deal, the value is there and for me it's a lot to give up for Muzzin, as good as he is, but he will need a new deal in 18 months. If you can afford the long term deal then swing away.
Islanders have some good young pieces, tons of cap space, couple impact players to re-sign in Lee and Eberle. Other than that, keep drafting well, let the youth filter through and ride the wave in my opinion.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I wouldn't trade Vilardi. Because of his back issues, he holds little value. To the Kings, they should hold on to him and hope that he recovers because his upside his huge. The kid is talented. Imagine trading him for some B prospect or 2nd round pick, and he ends up recovering from his injury and tearing it up? I'm not taking that chance.

I like the deal proposed by ThePatientPanter for Quick. I would definitely do that deal.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Disagree,

Patrick was able to play a full season of junior hockey,something that Vilardi was NEVER able to do.

Not only that, Patrick was able to correct his injury when it was properly diagnosed, not the case with Vilardi right now.

But if you have the chance to acquire a Nylander and the cost is Vilardi, bye Gabe, good luck, that's a no brainer.

If Blake wouldn't move Clague for Nylander. There is no way in hell that he'll move Vilardi for him.

You guys are blowing this back injury out too much. He's 19 years old! f***....give him sometime to recover fully!

Carter has not said anything about retiring. Some media guy brought it up that he could retire if LA moved him to somewhere he wouldn't want to be. The media guy said "how his contract (Carter) is laid out that it could be an option". Carter has never brought up anything about a trade or retirement.

I think Teddy Purcell did a "Ted Talk" with Carter and his family for Christmas and Carter said he wants to stay in LA but he knows that hockey is a business.

Edit: someone posted the article above^^^

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

I'd be somewhat ok with that deal but LA doesn't need anymore LHD. So Pelech does nothing for me or the deal. If you can switch him with someone else, I'd be ok with the deal.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Carter has not said anything about retiring. Some media guy brought it up that he could retire if LA moved him to somewhere he wouldn't want to be. The media guy said "how his contract (Carter) is laid out that it could be an option". Carter has never brought up anything about a trade or retirement.

I think Teddy Purcell did a "Ted Talk" with Carter and his family for Christmas and Carter said he wants to stay in LA but he knows that hockey is a business.

Edit: someone posted the article above^^^

Fair enough, only went off what I heard through McKenzie. Figured he was reliable.
I saw that Teddy Talk with Carter, I've been keeping an eye on Quick, hence my proposal earlier in this thread.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If Blake wouldn't move Clague for Nylander. There is no way in hell that he'll move Vilardi for him.

You guys are blowing this back injury out too much. He's 19 years old! ****....give him sometime to recover fully!

Not blowing anything up, the kid hasn't played a full season of relative hockey ONCE in his career....yes, he's 19 years old, but if he can't stay healthy, it doesn't matter how old he is, and again, if you have the chance to acquire a player like Nylander and the cost his Vilardi, you say thank you, and move on it.

And no way was Clague alone getting Nylander, it was part of a larger deal, that more than likely, Toronto had better offers, please don't play it like TOR came to LA and LA said no because of Clague, not even remotely close.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Not blowing anything up, the kid hasn't played a full season of relative hockey ONCE in his career....yes, he's 19 years old, but if he can't stay healthy, it doesn't matter how old he is, and again, if you have the chance to acquire a player like Nylander and the cost his Vilardi, you say thank you, and move on it.

And no way was Clague alone getting Nylander, it was part of a larger deal, that more than likely, Toronto had better offers, please don't play it like TOR came to LA and LA said no because of Clague, not even remotely close.

In the 15-16 season he played the whole year and didn't miss a game. But I'm not gonna fight with you because you think he is dead and already has no career...biggest bust ever.

I'm not giving up on the kid like you have. I already told you that Nylander wont be moved even for Vilardi. And the Kings won't give up Vilardi for Nylander. And of course it wasn't alone. Toronto wouldn't move Nylander unless a Doughty type player is going back to them.

You're fighting a battle that isn't needed.

Last edited:

Jokerz89

Dec 24, 2017
Massachusetts
Heinen, Lauzon, & a 3rd for Toffoli. Heinen is having a down year like Toffoli, I realize he is unproven that is why Lauzon is included because he has shown at least in a small sample size that he can play. The 3rd could become a 2nd or we could add a lesser prospect but I think that's pretty reasonable.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Heinen, Lauzon, & a 3rd for Toffoli. Heinen is having a down year like Toffoli, I realize he is unproven that is why Lauzon is included because he has shown at least in a small sample size that he can play. The 3rd could become a 2nd or we could add a lesser prospect but I think that's pretty reasonable.

That does nothing for LA. I'd rather have Toffoli over Heinen. Lauzon is useless in LA. They already have like 17 LHD and don't need to add more.

If the Kings were moving Toffoli it should be for an overpayment. Definitely need a 1st+ coming back or we can put him in a package for a better player coming back like Nylander. No reason to move him for LA.

Martinez as a top 4? How good/bad is he?

What would LA be looking for?

Martinez is one of those underrated Dmen. He can play in all parts of the lineup. Great in his own end and decent on the offensive side. He's not gonna put up a lot of points be he will keep the points off the board. Moves the puck well and skates well too. He's a good #4 but an excellent #5 on a deep blue line.

The problem for LA is that they have to use him as a #3. Which he is not.

Hopefully a 1st+lower tier prospect. But most likely a 2nd+good prospect.

Last edited:

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

If we are moving Toffoli it can’t be for a bunch of lesser prospects and picks. Needs to be a 1st and mid prospect or we are better off just holding on to him.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I’d like to revisit a recent discussion with Pens fans concering Martinez for Maata. Would still be open to seeing that happen, I want a smarter partner for Doughty than Derek frigging Forbort.

Maata Doughty
Muzzin Walker
Phafoof Phorbort
Phantombergh

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Los Angeles has done a great job drafting these past couple years. They should already have a strong centre core with drafting Vilardi, Kupari, Anderson-Dolan, and Thomas.

Toffoli should get a first/comparable prospect, Quick should get around the same, Muzzin as well. I think LA should be open to moving all three. It would open up some cap space and likely insure they spend a year or two bottom five giving them the best chance at a top three pick.

As for Carter I’m unsure because he came out saying he’d rather retire than be traded, though I’m sure there are some spots he wouldn’t mind going. If there is a perfect storm where they can get a good return and he’ll accept the trade I think they should do it. Same goes for Kovy I wonder what his value is around the league.

Keep around Kopitar, Doughty, and Brown as the leadership group.
problem is there is no top end D coming up. Clague was looking good but now seems to have stalled. If LA is trading Toffoli, Carter, Muzzin or Martinez a prospect on D is at the top of my list for a return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad