Proposal: Retooling the Ducks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bmoc

Sep 2, 2010
Looking for 25 and younger skilled players with speed. A RHD and forward.

Players on the block:

Silfverberg
Cogliano
Larsson

Less likely but for the right overpayment:

Fowler
Montour
Lundestrom

If we can trade:

Kessler

What are some realistic deals for these guys?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
How many threads are you going to start with the exact same premise?

Cogs isn't going to bring back anything but a 3rd if we're lucky.
Silf is not going to bring back the kind of forward you're looking for, we should be able to get a 1st from a playoff bound team if we do end up moving him.
Larsson could be moved, but he has exactly been amazing in his time in the NHL so I doubt he would get anything of value, better off keeping him around especially when we are so short on good D prospects.

Lundestrom should not shopped, he's our more recent 1st round pick and has done nothing but shown his value to the team, absolutely no reason to move him.
We have no good RHD players after Manson and Montour, so there's no reason to move Montour especially when you're asking for a RHD..
Fowler is the only player that could be moved, but I rather not keep Larsson in the top 4 until he's ready, and he's clearly not ready for it; so again there's no reason to move Fowler right now.

And there is not one team in the league that would take Kesler and he would not waive his NMC to go anywhere.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Retool isn't going to help.... its a coaching issue and an aging star issue with big contracts.

A lot of money invested in kesler, getz, perry, eaves, cogliano… until those contracts are gone were basically going to be in that possible playoff team... but we wont be good enough to do damage in the playoffs.

Only thing we could do is start to prepare for when those contracts are up and collect young players/picks .

Cogs could get a 3rd maybe a late 2nd.
Silf a 2nd + pick, maybe late 1st from contender.
Fowler could bring back a decent haul, but I cant see that happening until the draft at earliest.

Montour will stay, good contract young and a type of player that is tough to find.
Lundestrom is the type of player we need to hold on to. later 1st round pick with 2nd line center potential, and minimum 3rd line center ability.
Larsson is young and just stepping into NHL.. no reason to move him... I think we continue to develop him and mahura and eventually fowler is odd guy out.

Reactions: Rec T and dracom

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't see a trade here to be honest because he is worth more than Ducks fans will offer but Kapanen fills your listed criteria perfectly.. A younger, faster Silf basically with Rakell realistic potential and perhaps even a higher ceiling.

However unless it is a piece that helps the Leafs I prefer they keep him. Really really versatile player who can play any specialty team you need him on, and can play on any line in your lineup. His speed makes for some really good penalty killing and good defensive plays and his IQ and offensive tools means he is good enough to be put on any scoring line and not look out of place.

Only piece that interests me is Fowler but I am not sure about it honestly. Ducks fans would want more and as a Leaf fan I am not sure if I make the deal 1 for 1.. 6.5 for another what 7 years after this? And I don't think he is a true top pairing D either I think he is a 2nd pairing D but he hasn't been very good this year either so that is a huge risk.

Either way, won't derail the thread with some proposals but that is a player who is available for the right price and meets your needs.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the only thing that'll help is unloading the perry and kesler contracts and firing carlyle

and the first one isn't happening so my advice would be to be patient and wait for the kids like steel, terry, comtois, and lundestrom to develop

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Agree
That Silfv will likely go, ideally for solid futures to a playoff team

Cogs if we get a decent pick or prospect, I’d jump at

We’ve moved so many d , I don’t think we can, the prospects just haven’t settled yet, Larrssen the closest to looking NHL solid

We don’t know what Perry will be, nobody knows how badly his knee affected him the past few seasons

Hopefully Kesler is shopping for a place on Robidas Island

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don't see a trade here to be honest because he is worth more than Ducks fans will offer but Kapanen fills your listed criteria perfectly.. A younger, faster Silf basically with Rakell realistic potential and perhaps even a higher ceiling.

However unless it is a piece that helps the Leafs I prefer they keep him. Really really versatile player who can play any specialty team you need him on, and can play on any line in your lineup. His speed makes for some really good penalty killing and good defensive plays and his IQ and offensive tools means he is good enough to be put on any scoring line and not look out of place.

Only piece that interests me is Fowler but I am not sure about it honestly. Ducks fans would want more and as a Leaf fan I am not sure if I make the deal 1 for 1.. 6.5 for another what 7 years after this? And I don't think he is a true top pairing D either I think he is a 2nd pairing D but he hasn't been very good this year either so that is a huge risk.

Either way, won't derail the thread with some proposals but that is a player who is available for the right price and meets your needs.
Fowler been injured with a broken face, only played 19 games this season. He was playing well before he got hurt.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Sincere question - can the Ducks afford to re-tool even though they are in a playoff position? If they move out Silferberg and/or any of their D this season they are increasing their chance of missing the playoffs and what would that do to their fanbase and revenue? I have been to a few Ducks games and they weren't sell outs by a fairly large amount. I was able to get 4, game 7 playoff tickets (2 years ago) vs the Preds on the day of the game for $60 a piece. I would be concerned that selling players this season when you're in a playoff spot sends the wrong message to a somewhat fragile fan base, even if its the best decision for building the team. I could be wrong just a thought.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sincere question - can the Ducks afford to re-tool even though they are in a playoff position? If they move out Silferberg and/or any of their D this season they are increasing their chance of missing the playoffs and what would that do to their fanbase and revenue? I have been to a few Ducks games and they weren't sell outs by a fairly large amount. I was able to get 4, game 7 playoff tickets (2 years ago) vs the Preds on the day of the game for $60 a piece. I would be concerned that selling players this season when you're in a playoff spot sends the wrong message to a somewhat fragile fan base, even if its the best decision for building the team. I could be wrong just a thought.

A retool is one thing, but a true rebuild would not be a good idea for the reasons you've pointed out. With the way the team has drafted, a full rebuild shouldn't be necessary anyway.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
A retool is one thing, but a true rebuild would not be a good idea for the reasons you've pointed out. With the way the team has drafted, a full rebuild shouldn't be necessary anyway.
Cheers thanks for the insight. I agree with your thoughts on the Ducks drafting. People like to praise teams like the Lightning for their drafting but the Ducks have been pretty solid especially with their picks outside of the first round. If I'm not mistaken they have drafted Kase, Manson, Montour Mahura, Gibson, Terry, Comtois - all outside of the 1st round. I'm sure there's others as well but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Looking for 25 and younger skilled players with speed. A RHD and forward.

Players on the block:

Silfverberg
Cogliano
Larsson

Less likely but for the right overpayment:

Fowler
Montour
Lundestrom

If we can trade:

Kessler

What are some realistic deals for these guys?

To echo what someone else said, it seems that you keep making similar threads that are very similar. are you just not getting the answers you're looking for?

The Ducks really don't lack "young players" like some insinuate. The only thing we lack is a blue chip #1 center prospect, and no one is going to give one of those away. Your insistence on including Lundestrom is dumbfounding because as of now, he and Steel are our two best hopes at developing a #1 center. Your decision to constantly include Lundestrom and Montour really doesn't make any sense. I don't get the Larsson inclusion either. He's absolutely not on the block. if he was, he'd have been traded over Pettersson.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I wouldn't mind kapanen for fowler type move. But I feel like there would have to be more to the trade. As for fowler not being a #1, I don't think your expectations should be a #1 with Kapanen as the piece going back. Fowler can play in the #1, but is more suited or a 2 or 3. I actualy think fowler would play really well in a Babcock system... and with the players the leafs have fowlers skating ability alone would be a real threat.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
To echo what someone else said, it seems that you keep making similar threads that are very similar. are you just not getting the answers you're looking for?

The Ducks really don't lack "young players" like some insinuate. The only thing we lack is a blue chip #1 center prospect, and no one is going to give one of those away. Your insistence on including Lundestrom is dumbfounding because as of now, he and Steel are our two best hopes at developing a #1 center. Your decision to constantly include Lundestrom and Montour really doesn't make any sense. I don't get the Larsson inclusion either. He's absolutely not on the block. if he was, he'd have been traded over Pettersson.

This. What we lack is the ability to dump some boat anchors and a decent coach. None of which is going to get fixed by selling off the promising youngsters we do have in the system.

Reactions: Duck Off

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
We don’t know what Perry will be, nobody knows how badly his knee affected him the past few seasons
Yeah, this could be sunset for his career or he could be in line for a Masterton trophy. You could have said similar things about Selanne at one point in his career. Either way, we're the ones that are going to find out.

Reactions: pbgoalie

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Ducks are in a bad place right now and trying to make these "retool" deals you're going for won't help one bit.
Also like half the guys you think we need to trade are the ones that should be kept.

I truly don't understand your "vision" of Ducks at this point, other than the sooner Perry is out the better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad