Waived: Repo cleared unconditional waivers and contract terminated, signs in Finland with Lukko (Liiga)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It's a shame, but I wouldn't credit this as the usual "Panthers suck at developing players". Repo kinda stalled after that breakout season 2016-17 and he failed to live up to the hype, remember when he was talked about making the NHL roster in 2017 (did Kekäläinen overhype him to Tallon or what.. same thing happened with Haapala)?

Also Repo already skipped playing in the AHL two years ago, so I'm not surprised that he'd prefer Liiga/Europe over it.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
So, Repo on unconditional waivers? Assuming he’s headed back to Finland?

Mamin, Juho, Repo...I’m sure there’s others, but wow we suck at developing/keeping guys in NA.

I hope he gets a chance next season. The team said he went back home to work on his offense, which is clearly coming along nicely this season.

Remember, he was excellent defensively in the NHL. He even had one game in Ottawa, I believe, where he g 3? assists.

Reactions: harv33173

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It's a shame, but I wouldn't credit this as the usual "Panthers suck at developing players". Repo kinda stalled after that breakout season 2016-17 and he failed to live up to the hype, remember when he was talked about making the NHL roster in 2017 (did Kekäläinen overhype him to Tallon or what.. same thing happened with Haapala)?

Also Repo already skipped playing in the AHL two years ago, so I'm not surprised that he'd prefer Liiga/Europe over it.

I'd reckon that Kekalainen is falling out of favor with the mgmt considering that the prospect to NHL regular conversion rate isn't drastically better than what the Cats had with Luce albeit the prospects' draft year haul is better. There's a serious issue with developing prospects into NHLers and the corrective measures could affect amateur scouting even tho imo the problem isn't with the scouting.

Hopefully they do something with how the team in Springfield is managed and coached because with the amount of talent they have they should be considerably better.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
How is it on Mamin? He played well despite getting limited games. Boughner is an idiot, he never played him. Just like he never played Kiselevich, even though he was one of our top defensive defensemen.
Neither of them were good. Don't blame Boughner. Both a dime a dozen fringe NHL players. If they were any good, an NHL team would sign them.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Neither of them were good. Don't blame Boughner. Both a dime a dozen fringe NHL players. If they were any good, an NHL team would sign them.

Nobody can sign Mamin, he's our prospect. Yes, they were dime a dozen, but that's exactly what we are missing right now. Gritty big bodies with speed that could perhaps play on the 3rd line. And another solid defensive defensemen. They weren't star players, but they weren't bad either. And neither of them were touted as stars either. They performed exactly as expected.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
How is it on Mamin? He played well despite getting limited games. Boughner is an idiot, he never played him. Just like he never played Kiselevich, even though he was one of our top defensive defensemen.
Making had other issues. He went back to Russia and was terrible. I think there were some off ice issues

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
He's doing pretty good this year though, 16 pts. 29 games +14
He can't even crack the KHL top100 in points, he's about to turn 25 in three weeks and he's sixth on his team in points. He's on pace for less points than in 2016/17.
I hoped he would work out too but there are dozens of guys like him.

Reactions: RainingRats

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He can't even crack the KHL top100 in points, he's about to turn 25 in three weeks and he's sixth on his team in points. He's on pace for less points than in 2016/17.
I hoped he would work out too but there are dozens of guys like him.

Just because there are dozens of guys like him doesnt mean he's bad.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Nobody can sign Mamin, he's our prospect. Yes, they were dime a dozen, but that's exactly what we are missing right now. Gritty big bodies with speed that could perhaps play on the 3rd line. And another solid defensive defensemen. They weren't star players, but they weren't bad either. And neither of them were touted as stars either. They performed exactly as expected.
Anybody could acquire his rights if they wanted. Tallon has always been accomadating. He's like a Hunt type player, we have enough of these. He's just not good. There was nothing wrong with rolling the dice on him, always smart to take these gambles.

They didn't perform as expected unless you had low expectations. If you did, then there's nothing to discuss about Boughner because they played like fringe NHL players and they shouldn't get much ice time.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Repo cleared waivers, so his contract has been mutually terminated. He just signed with Lukko in Finland. Not a huge loss but I thought he was a decent prospect, I liked his style of play.

Reactions: harv33173

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Yes, but I think it speaks to volumes on how the team sees his NHL future.

Frees up a contract slot 6 months in advance (doubt Repo was getting a qualifying offer) if nothing else.

It was probably that combined with the whole “if you don’t want to be a Panthers, we’ll accommodate you” thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad