Value of: Reilly Smith

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So what’s the deal w the Vegas cap ? can they activate Eichel or need to make space ?

If so how much ?
Is Reilley Smith available ?
Rangers could use him and send some cheap roster players like Gauthier w a pick

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So what’s the deal w the Vegas cap ? can they activate Eichel or need to make space ?

If so how much ?

no do not want/need
we only need 2 moves:
1. a home for Strome sending back futures, pref picks
and
2. Geo, ditto return

re 1: there is zero chance we can keep Strome going forward, ALL of his cap must be applied to $ for Fox + Zib. So it is self rent, which is stupid, or get something for him, picks which can be used in upgrade/dealt.

The faction that wants to keep Strome ignores whether or not, as bern is suggesting, that giving his mins to Chytil and Barron [who is doing well on faceoffs, btw] and then also Kravtsov is a better move than those mins to Strome or any substitute.

re 2: I get the idea of keeping Geo as insurance if Shesty is injured. The prob there is we cracked the code and figured out Geo is a much better G when he gets regular mins as a starter. Unfortunately, there is only one set of starter mins, they can't go to both Shesty AND Geo. People have to capitulate to that reality. That means either:
- play Shesty as a backup give HIM less work, which is nuts
- play Geo as backup and then he subverts to second rate Geo
those are the only 2 choices, that is mathematical.

So to defeat this, deal Geo now and go with Kinkaid/Huska [eventually Wall beats them out] and play the backup vs 2nd rate teams and some average teams, but not the best teams.

We should not move Gauthier. While he is not finishing, he is a good driver of play and with the right line and enough time to develop chemistry, can fulfill potential.

If you want to give up bupkis and do like McKegg and a 5th which can upgrade into a 2nd if Smith contributes a, b, c, in production and or NY advances x, y, z far in the playoffs, fine.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
no do not want/need
we only need 2 moves:
and
2. Geo, ditto return

re 1: there is zero chance we can keep Strome going forward, ALL of his cap must be applied to $ for Fox + Zib. So it is self rent, which is stupid, or get something for him, picks which can be used in upgrade/dealt.

The faction that wants to keep Strome ignores whether or not, as bern is suggesting, that giving his mins to Chytil and Barron [who is doing well on faceoffs, btw] and then also Kravtsov is a better move than those mins to Strome or any substitute.

re 2: I get the idea of keeping Geo as insurance if Shesty is injured. The prob there is we cracked the code and figured out Geo is a much better G when he gets regular mins as a starter. Unfortunately, there is only one set of starter mins, they can't go to both Shesty AND Geo. People have to capitulate to that reality. That means either:

So to defeat this, deal Geo now and go with Kinkaid/Huska [eventually Wall beats them out] and play the backup vs 2nd rate teams and some average teams, but not the best teams.

We should not move Gauthier. While he is not finishing, he is a good driver of play and with the right line and enough time to develop chemistry, can fulfill potential.

If you want to give up bupkis and do like McKegg and a 5th which can upgrade into a 2nd if Smith contributes a, b, c, in production and or NY advances x, y, z far in the playoffs, fine.
Vegas isn’t trading Smith for a 5th with silly conditions and mckegg

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
no do not want/need
we only need 2 moves:
and
2. Geo, ditto return

you realize like 0.5 percent of fans think this way right ?
It doesn’t matter what you think is smart
Most of the time a team high in the standings doesn’t sell they rent

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
you realize like 0.5 percent of fans think this way right ?
It doesn’t matter what you think is smart
Most of the time a team high in the standings doesn’t sell they rent

and win now has a track record of usually, almost always, not being worth it in the long term

renting is fine if there are no consequences,
as noted, in this case there are

make a deep run now, give mo mins to our actual core [not those not growing with the team going forward], add some assets, use that with what we have to then make a final upgrade to the extent we can recognizing the reality of cap, which most are improperly ignoring. We made our bed w/Fox + Zib, we may have to hold off on signif adds until after we move Trouba once we can.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
no do not want/need
we only need 2 moves:
and
2. Geo, ditto return

A .700% team is going to move a top 6 center and decent backup for picks and prospects? That seems... unlikely.

Also Strome has almost 3x the points Chytil does and Barron has only 11 career NHL games. Sure Chytil probably scores a bit more if he moves up the lineup, but do you really expect him to triple his scoring?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Vegas isn’t trading Smith for a 5th with silly conditions and mckegg

While a 5th is aggressively low, so many people fail to realize how low a player's value can dip when a team needs to move cap. They don't have that much leverage in trade talks when their backs are up against the wall.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
While a 5th is aggressively low, so many people fail to realize how low a player's value can dip when a team needs to move cap. They don't have that much leverage in trade talks when their backs are up against the wall.

Besides the fact they can't take cap back, there are only a few contenders who can take him without sending anything back so he may get sold off fairly cheap.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Agreed but they will get more then the initial proposal

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Hell, if Smith is gonna move I'd take him back in Boston in a heart beat...1st and pick your favorite B prospect

It probably wouldn't even take that much. Vegas obviously won't be able to retain and need to clear about 7m through trade. I think they might have to end up settling for a deal like a 3rd + Senyshyn for Smith. They're going to wait it out though in case any more LTIR opportunities present themselves first.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Besides the fact they can't take cap back, there are only a few contenders who can take him without sending anything back so he may get sold off fairly cheap.
You’ll fine a ARI or SEA happy to retain 50% this is a non issue in my opinion. Quite sure he gets a 1st + 3rd at least.

most likely however Eichel is LTIRed until the playoffs !

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
They're close, they have $2m of deadline space. Really if they did trade for Smith they'd be moving DeBrusk out in a separate move as well which should give them the needed space

That makes more sense. Going to be tough trading Debrusk unless he signs right away with the new team because I dont see anyone qualifying him. I guess Boston could pay someone to take him though. Crazy he looked so good then fell off a cliff. Think he has 20 something points total in the last 2 years....oof

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
You’ll fine a ARI or SEA happy to retain 50% this is a non issue in my opinion. Quite sure he gets a 1st + 3rd at least.

most likely however Eichel is LTIRed until the playoffs !

I would be shocked if he got a 1st nevermind a 1st and 3rd. Who is paying the other team assets to retain salary? I would assume if the other team is giving up a 1st its Vegas. I also don't see Arizona retaining as they have 1 spot left and I would guess they use it on Kessel.

I personally feel Vegas is weighing the costs to get a team like Arizona to take Dadanov or someone else for picks rather than give up Reilly for a subpar return.

The problem is everyone knows Vegas is desperate so does someone let them off the hook easy?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
I would be shocked if he got a 1st nevermind a 1st and 3rd. Who is paying the other team assets to retain salary? I would assume if the other team is giving up a 1st its Vegas. I also don't see Arizona retaining as they have 1 spot left and I would guess they use it on Kessel.

I personally feel Vegas is weighing the costs to get a team like Arizona to take Dadanov or someone else for picks rather than give up Reilly for a subpar return.

The problem is everyone knows Vegas is desperate so does someone let them off the hook easy?

Yes. As we saw with Stastny and Schmidt, Vegas won't have a problem moving guys when they have to. They won't get full value because they don't have any leverage, but other teams are more worried about making themselves better than trying to stick it to Vegas.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021

If so how much ?
The problem is not Smith but all GM knows Vegas need to trade a 5M players for pick and/or prospect.
That's downgrade the reel value. I think a prospect B and a draft pick between late 1st and mid second round could be great for Vegas.
Normally if Vegas doesn't have cap problem the values is more a 1st maybe a 2nd and a prospect.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A .700% team is going to move a top 6 center and decent backup for picks and prospects? That seems... unlikely.

Also Strome has almost 3x the points Chytil does and Barron has only 11 career NHL games. Sure Chytil probably scores a bit more if he moves up the lineup, but do you really expect him to triple his scoring?

Scoring is not everything and Chytil is the younger, more desirable player from a standpoint of potential. Strome has more experience and a more fully developed game, but he is still not a fabulous overall player. He is okay otherwise, a cut above offensively, and can both score and help set up people.
But setting that aside, the bottom line here, and it's annoying people are making me repeat it, is there is zero room for Strome at any price, we need every nickel of his cap hit to be repurposed for Zib + Fox $.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad