GDT: Leafs vs Bruins - 7PM HNIC

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Tre’s probably waiting for a good offer on a fringe NHL D man who makes 3mil plus, I predict crickets until someone becomes desperate or the price is lowered……

I don’t think that’s it at all. There’s no rush to move him. I think we’ll see Liljegren moved when Dewer and Jarnkrok are back.

I predict Robertson and Liljegren packaged for a 2C. Predicted this before training camp as well. But they had to sign him. He’s still an asset you can’t just let walk for free unqualified.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If you zoom out at the big picture it’s more like game 600 of this current era rather than game 8, and I’d say the patience level is different for different players. But to your point it might be healthier to watch this team from a safer distance and not get caught up in the ups and downs.
You seem a bit all over on this. You were initially upset about the sudden importance of this game, but now it's the 600 game sample.

Likely links back to that sourness you noted and have company with. It's going to be a long season, even if they're successful for those ready to jump over board after game 8.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
oh man did Liljegren kick berube's dog or something? I don't understand the logic of paying a player 3M AAV and pressboxing them. If you don't believe in the player then just move him and use that 3M to improve your roster ffs

In all seriousness it may have been better to have not qualified him and just spent that 3 mil on a vet in free agency.

The only positive way out is if another team gets devastated by injuries in their backend can flip Tre a pick for him

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
In all seriousness it may have been better to have not qualified him and just spent that 3 mil on a vet in free agency.

The only positive way out is if another team gets devastated by injuries in their backend can flip Tre a pick for him

I think that was the original plan but skinner wanted to go Edmonton. He signed for 3 mill

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don’t think that’s it at all. There’s no rush to move him. I think we’ll see Liljegren moved when Dewer and Jarnkrok are back.

I predict Robertson and Liljegren packaged for a 2C. Predicted this before training camp as well. But they had to sign him. He’s still an asset you can’t just let walk for free unqualified.
More like we’ll see Dewar and Jarnrok once Lilly’s $3 million boat anchor is gone……..

Is Myers playing? Berube was talking about him today, so I assumed it meant he might be in?
Can’t wait for him to prove he’s better than both Lilly snd Timmins……

You think?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You seem a bit all over on this. You were initially upset about the sudden importance of this game, but now it's the 600 game sample.

Likely links back to that sourness you noted and have company with. It's going to be a long season, even if they're successful for those ready to jump over board after game 8.

I think I’m pretty consistent in my disapproval of Tavares, Rielly, Marner and to a lesser extent Nylander and Matthews, with Matthews getting more heat now because of elevated responsibility and contract. Seems like they’re just following the same annual script.

Reactions: myleafs

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
I'm excited to see Myers in his season debut and to see if he can prove that he's better than both Lily and Timmins.

Also, that McCabe and Tanev pairing could be a really good shut down D pairing.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I like that Myers is in, but don’t love how they adjusted the top two pairings. Not sure I get it, but we’ll see I guess.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Nobody should expect us to coast to a cup, so overcoming adversity will be a skill we need to see (and honestly learn)
Sooooooo losing in the first round 7 of the last 8 years, losing to a Zamboni driver in the other net , getting 2 coaches fired is not adversity enough for them to have learned to battle thru…………

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Sooooooo losing in the first round 7 of the last 8 years, losing to a Zamboni driver in the other net , getting 2 coaches fired is not adversity enough for them to have learned to battle thru…………
We were warned that there would be pain, they just didn't mention that it would never end.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Getting the 2 coaches fired is so over played. Babcock lasted what 3/4 years? Keefe 4/5? That’s pretty long shelf lives tbh. Coaches get fired with ease everywhere. That core in Vancouver has gotten like 3 coaches fired. Boston has gotten a few coaches fired and if they lose tonight Montgomery is gone. 2 coaches in 3 years.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Should have traded Robertson after pre season.

Back to falling on his knees and shooting high and wide.

I prefer how Keefe used him. Spot start scorer. A role he excels in. Hes not good enough to be a regular for us.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Q
If a player has player elected arb rights no team is trading for them in the off-season. That’s the riskiest off season trade a GM can make. You could end up losing the RFA after trading for him
His contract doesn't kick in until next year though so you could've had this season be a prove it year.

I'm a fan of Liljegren and think he'll piece it together at some point (here or elsewhere tbd). However, if I was another team I'd much rather pay a 2nd and risk losing him for nothing the next year than aquire him now... his value has decreased at least partially because of the new contract and the risk associated with it.

Worst case scenario before is that his arbitration number is too high and you walk away. Worst case scenario now is he doesn't improve and you're stuck with a #7 dman making 3mill.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve a new contract, but if management believed in him and thought he was worth 3m than he should be getting more than 1 of our first 9 regular season games.

Reactions: francis246

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Cowan has made Robertson dispensable same with Minten in a bottom 6C role IMO has made one of Kampf/Dewar deispensable.

Jarkrok is a waste of cap space IMO and Leafs will be better served without Jarnkrok than with him in the line up.

when it comes to defense we don't really have anything "young" in the minors. If they are to use Lily+Robertson+pick(s) for a 2C I am for it as long as they don't re-sign Tavares unless its for like a league minimum; and use Tavares' cap to go defense shopping someone that has some offense and plays big boy hockey

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Q

His contract doesn't kick in until next year though so you could've had this season be a prove it year.

I'm a fan of Liljegren and think he'll piece it together at some point (here or elsewhere tbd). However, if I was another team I'd much rather pay a 2nd and risk losing him for nothing the next year than aquire him now... his value has decreased at least partially because of the new contract and the risk associated with it.

Worst case scenario before is that his arbitration number is too high and you walk away. Worst case scenario now is he doesn't improve and you're stuck with a #7 dman making 3mill.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve a new contract, but if management believed in him and thought he was worth 3m than he should be getting more than 1 of our first 9 regular season games.

I agree, it is weird that they didn’t just let him go unqualified. But I understand in trying to keep the asset and maybe even giving him a chance to prove his worth in camp.

Though I have to admit, I wanted Liljegren traded. I’m not a fan. I think he’s soft and is just terrible in front of our net and against a strong forecheck.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
If they beat the 'dreaded Bruins' tonight, Matthews, Nyandler, Marner and Tavares have points, and they win by controlling the game (All things possibilities), then all will be right with most people on this forum, at least for a few days.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Toronto Maple Leafs Projected Lines*

*official line combinations aren’t known until line rushes in warmups

Forwards
#23 Matthew Knies — #34 Auston Matthews — #16 Mitch Marner
#74 Bobby McMann — #11 Max Domi — #88 William Nylander
#67 Max Pacioretty — #91 John Tavares — #89 Nick Robertson
#18 Steven Lorentz — #64 David Kampf — #75 Ryan Reaves

Defensemen
#44 Morgan Rielly — #95 Oliver Ekman-Larsson
#22 Jake McCabe — #8 Chris Tanev
#2 Simon Benoit — #51 Philippe Myers

Goaltenders
#41 Anthony Stolarz
#60 Joseph Woll

Extras: Conor Timmins, Timothy Liljegren, Pontus Holmberg
Injured (LTIR)
: Calle Jarnkrok, Jani Hakanpaa, Connor Dewar, Dakota Mermis

Boston Bruins Projected Lines

Forwards
#18 Pavel Zacha — #28 Elias Lindholm — #88 David Pastrnak
#63 Brad Marchand — #13 Charlie Coyle — #51 Matthew Poitras
#11 Trent Frederic — #39 Morgan Geekie — #55 Justin Brazeau
#19 John Beecher — #47 Mark Kastelic — #45 Cole Koepke

Defensemen
#27 Hampus Lindholm — #25 Brandon Carlo
#6 Mason Lohrei — #73 Charlie McAvoy
#91 Nikita Zadorov — #52 Andrew Peeke

Goaltenders
#1 Jeremy Swayman
#70 Joonas Korpisalo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Holmberg out is a good call, he's been absolutely meh at every facet of the game as of late. He has to distinguish himself.
I like there being consequences for not playing well, now I really wish that applied to the core as well……….

If you zoom out at the big picture it’s more like game 600 of this current era rather than game 8, and I’d say the patience level is different for different players. But to your point it might be healthier to watch this team from a safer distance and not get caught up in the ups and downs.
Some of the players have been here for that entire time, others are just passing thru to be replaced like every year……….

Reactions: myleafs

weems

Jul 3, 2008
OEL playing on his offside will be interesting.
Not everyone can effectively do it and there's more challenges with dealing with oncoming speed, taking passes on your backhand and even pinching in the Ozone and winning the board battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad