GDT: Leafs vs Bruins - 7PM HNIC

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I feel like we're not getting the full story about Liljegren or there's a few things in particular Berube really doesn't like from him.

How the hell does our GM sign him a year before he hits RFA to a multi-year contract and then he only gets in on 1 game of the first 9? He also only got 3 preseason games.

Seems premature and I don't see why Berube isn't giving him at least a couple more games, especially after back to back monstrosity of defensive games.

Heck, I'm a fan of Benoit but he hasn't been great either this year. Given they've been practicing together I thought maybe Myers - Liljegren would get a game and both Benoit and Timmins sit.

Edit: I guess it's still a possibility Benoit sits for Liljegren? They only announced that Timmins appears to be out and Myers in, but no word on Benoit/Liljegren. Especially weird since Myers wasn't practicing with Benoit yesterday.

They didn’t want to go to arbitration and possibly end up paying him more. They didn’t want to let him go unqualified and lose him for nothing. The best decision was to sign him to a multi-year deal so that he’s tradedable. The organization has been trying to trade him since last year.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
They didn’t want to go to arbitration and possibly end up paying him more. They didn’t want to let him go unqualified and lose him for nothing. The best decision was to sign him to a multi-year deal so that he’s tradedable. The organization has been trying to trade him since last year.
No way is it true they've been trying to trade him since last year and still signed him to his extension.

Given he hasn't been playing, he'd have more value without his extention based on the fact you can take a gamble on him and then he either takes the next step or you can let him go/keep him on for cheap. No risk. Now there's risk.

Right now his value is as low as can be since he's not been in our top 6 and is due for a good sized raise next year no matter how he performs this year.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
True though the question is how many more poor games/losses cant we stomache before we are likeky out of division tops race?

If we are at ~500 pt% after 15 games then that may be too late

If we can get to a high .500s pt % at 15 game mark (8-6-1 or 9-6 record) then I can see us taking advantage of no teams in atlantic having a strong start and capitalize from games 16-50 to take a serious run at the winning the division
I thought it might take this team time to adapt a new mindset with Berube. Was pleasantly surprised at our start, but not surprised we sit here, right now. See how it goes, still believe this team looks different. A couple shit games, but the other two losses we dominated. I'm patient.

Sep 18, 2009
The sudden importance of this early game tells us what we know about this team, and just underscores their historic patterns of getting into these sin and redemption cycles... which belies bad process and usually leads to ruin.
You think this team has what it takes?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The sudden importance of this early game tells us what we know about this team, and just underscores their historic patterns of getting into these sin and redemption cycles... which belies bad process and usually leads to ruin.
Nobody should expect us to coast to a cup, so overcoming adversity will be a skill we need to see (and honestly learn)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
No way is it true they've been trying to trade him since last year and still signed him to his extension.

Given he hasn't been playing, he'd have more value without his extention based on the fact you can take a gamble on him and then he either takes the next step or you can let him go/keep him on for cheap. No risk. Now there's risk.

Right now his value is as low as can be since he's not been in our top 6 and is due for a good sized raise next year no matter how he performs this year.

If a player has player elected arb rights no team is trading for them in the off-season. That’s the riskiest off season trade a GM can make. You could end up losing the RFA after trading for him

Reactions: DarkKnight

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Lines aren't too often the issue in the NHL. Yes, some lines just click and play together well as a unit but I am far more interested in how personnel is employed, ie. who is in and who is out.

It's like anything in life if you have spent an excessive amount of time and practice at it and these guys have all played 1000s of hours of hockey from the time they could walk; you know your job, you have to go out and doing it the best you can and ultimately better than the other guy does. If everybody is playing a similar system you should be able to interchange players at the pro level.

You use your skillset and you have to want it more. Intangibles are a major factor in sports, especially as the stakes increase.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We will have to wait and see, but I am definitely sour that they seem to manufacture their own adversity so well.
Most teams do so it's not surprising. I wish it was different but the outrage at current state feels over the top and premature. The reasonable approach is to wait and see how they respond throughout the year to these challenges. No use blowing your top at game 8

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
oh man did Liljegren kick berube's dog or something? I don't understand the logic of paying a player 3M AAV and pressboxing them. If you don't believe in the player then just move him and use that 3M to improve your roster ffs
There’s zero logic, but Berube didn’t sign him, and Tre doesn’t ice the team. Big waste imo, Woll could be a big mistake too if he can’t stay healthy. Tanev is great when he’s not hurting, which I believe he is right now. OEL has so far been his best acquisition thus far, guy’s been great and has a nasty side I love. Myers will surprise tonight and it will hard to get him out if the line up imo……..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
oh man did Liljegren kick berube's dog or something? I don't understand the logic of paying a player 3M AAV and pressboxing them. If you don't believe in the player then just move him and use that 3M to improve your roster ffs

Usually you try and run the player favorably to get a trade.

Reactions: PromisedLand

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
This has a chance to be a nasty and physical game, love that Myers and Paccioretty are coming in

Over/under on the number of crosschecks Zadorov is gonna dish out tonight?

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

It really seems that not moving off of Nylander or Marner or both when we had the chance was the biggest blunder of this management regime. I don't know why the players absolutely refuse to play the game that apparently Keefe, and more evidently, Berube, wants them to play consistently.

Are they parting too much off ice? You're paid millions of dollars, within the top 3% of the league, and you can't change your game? It's absolutely frustrating to watch the same re-run going on year 9.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Im with Berube here, I mean he kicked his dog! I like Dogs lol, yea something here is going to have to happen soon, I expect a deal here soon

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This has a chance to be a nasty and physical game, love that Myers and Paccioretty are coming in

Over/under on the number of crosschecks Zadorov is gonna dish out tonight?
👍

It really seems that not moving off of Nylander or Marner or both when we had the chance was the biggest blunder of this management regime. I don't know why the players absolutely refuse to play the game that apparently Keefe, and more evidently, Berube, wants them to play consistently.

Are they parting too much off ice? You're paid millions of dollars, within the top 3% of the league, and you can't change your game? It's absolutely frustrating to watch the same re-run going on year 9.
The Leafs operate on the fear of losing players so they continually overpay them. Styles will never live up to that contract and neither will Marner if they’re stupid enough to resign him……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Im with Berube here, I mean he kicked his dog! I like Dogs lol, yea something here is going to have to happen soon, I expect a deal here soon
Tre’s probably waiting for a good offer on a fringe NHL D man who makes 3mil plus, I predict crickets until someone becomes desperate or the price is lowered……

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Holmberg out is a good call, he's been absolutely meh at every facet of the game as of late. He has to distinguish himself.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Most teams do so it's not surprising. I wish it was different but the outrage at current state feels over the top and premature. The reasonable approach is to wait and see how they respond throughout the year to these challenges. No use blowing your top at game 8

If you zoom out at the big picture it’s more like game 600 of this current era rather than game 8, and I’d say the patience level is different for different players. But to your point it might be healthier to watch this team from a safer distance and not get caught up in the ups and downs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad