Red Fisher Conference - Round 1 - Portland Penguins (4) vs Orillia Terriers (5)

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Ice time is more complex than a simple lineup chart. Norm Ullman plays more than Duke Keats. Patrick Kane plays more than Gordie Drillon. Chris you Pronger will play more then George Boucher.
I normally think that "creative" icetime distributions should be looked at in detail. In the case of a team coached by Toe Blake, however, I'm willing to hand-wave most of that.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I normally think that "creative" icetime distributions should be looked at in detail. In the case of a team coached by Toe Blake, however, I'm willing to hand-wave most of that.

As long as the mixed lines work, it shouldn’t be a problem. Just playing guys more, without looking at the way those modified lines would work is probably a bit lazy too.

I think just about any arrangement of my top-9 would be effective, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Kane replacing Drillon makes a line of Mahovlich-Clarke-Kane, which is pretty balanced. Ullman replacing Keats makes a line of Benn-Ullman-Kane, which is really nicely balanced.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Do I have to spend time arguing for Orillia’s blueline?

Shore is quite a bit better than Clancy.
Chara is better than Pronger.
Weber is a little better than Blake.
Josi and Boucher are pretty even…. Until Josi gets his second Norris this year! :nod:
Pratt is better than Hitchman.
Baun and Harper are basically equal.

No way in hell, and I'm a pretty big Chara fan. Pronger controlled the game way more and has too much of a playoff advantage to rank Chara over him based on durability/longevity IMO.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The difference in their Norris records is huge.

Pronger got injured too often and lost his Norris standing because of this, but it didn't affect his ability to show up in the playoffs with MVP-like runs so I'm inclined not to put too much weight on their Norris records in the comparison.

I don't want to talk too much against Chara though, I really liked him in Boston, our main rival as a Montreal fan. Chara controlled some aspect of the game but rarely the game itself. He wasn't good enough in transition (didn't have Pronger's surgical and smooth first pass) and not mobile enough a skater. Basically my point is that he needed more help.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Pronger got injured too often and lost his Norris standing because of this, but it didn't affect his ability to show up in the playoffs with MVP-like runs so I'm inclined not to put too much weight on their Norris records in the comparison.

I don't want to talk too much against Chara though, I really liked him in Boston, our main rival as a Montreal fan. Chara controlled some aspect of the game but rarely the game itself. He wasn't good enough in transition (didn't have Pronger's surgical and smooth first pass) and not mobile enough a skater. Basically my point is that he needed more help.

Pronger was better offensively, though not elite. Chara was better defensively and more physical, and it’s not like he didn’t bring it in the playoffs too.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well, I suppose I'll just make my case....

Why Orillia should win this series!

1. Better Goaltending - Bernie Parent raises his game in the play-offs, but he raises it from being one of the worst starters in the draft. Turk Broda is probably a bit below average as a starter, but he also raises his game in the play-offs.

2. Better Coaching - Toe Blake is among the super-elite coaches. He's well-rounded and versatile, but he is also very well-suited to coaching this team's make-up. He was innovative in the use of centres to cover the whole ice, where he would use them to support the puck in all situations and have them drive the play on both sides of the puck. Bobby Clarke, Norm Ullman, and Ryan Kesler fit this strategy to a tee. Duke Keats isn't ideal, with his lack of speed, but his two way play and rambunctious style mean he would be ok.

Blake was also big on having his defensemen join the rush and help out on offense. With Eddie Shore, Roman Josi, and Babe Pratt spread across the pairs, he'll always have that offensive threat joining the rush.

3. Better Defensemen - Eddie Shore is the big difference-maker here.

4. Scoring Depth - Orillia has 3 pretty equal scoring lines, which makes it very difficult to deploy top checkers effectively against them. Also, Orillia has scoring threats on every defense pairing. Orillia is a team that should just come in waves.

5. Containing Lemieux - A huge part of Portland's offense runs through Mario Lemieux, so the priority will be to slow him down. Obviously, there's no shutting him down completely, but Toe Blake has several options to slow him down. First, and probably most obvious, is running Bobby Clarke in a head-to-head matchup. Clarke's elite defensively, but what would really make the difference is his relentless determination. Mario Lemieux was pretty lazy, so Clarke might be able to dominate the puck battles, and that's the best way to stop Lemieux - keep the puck off his stick.

Second is running out our third line. I think Dumart-Ullman-Provost is the best checking line in the draft, so using them in a match-up role would be optimal. They might not be as good in terms of pure defense as other lines, but they're all so well-rounded that they'd be a handful. Like Clarke, these guys could dominate puck battles and just wear down opposing stars.

Finally, Blake has the option of matching up either Zdeno Chara or Shea Weber to just punish Leimeux for a long 7 game series.

If anyone can come up with a game plan to limit Lemieux, its Toe Blake. He's got options.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
I think my top 3 lines are well constructed and will score enough to win a tough series. If the Terriers get rough to try to limit Lemieux we have our own psychopath in Pronger to take a pound of flesh in return. Hopefully that will limit any shenanigans. My defense is middle of the road for an ATD, but i think are solidly put together for their roles. Parent brings it in the playoffs and that's what he's going to be expected to do for the Penguins. It's a good tough match up that I think my team should squeak out a win

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Why is Buck Boucher on the top pairing?

This is the biggest obstacle to your championship.

I thought my crummy goaltending was my biggest obstacle. Boucher is there for his chemistry with Clancy and I wanted a guys strong in his own end to pair with Blake, so Pronger got put on line two. You are the only one who seems to think this is a fatal flaw, I think?

Reactions: The Macho King

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Defense & goaltending is important...

Chara - Shore
Josi - Weber

Broda

If you haven't something excreted then you ain't human.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I thought my crummy goaltending was my biggest obstacle. Boucher is there for his chemistry with Clancy and I wanted a guys strong in his own end to pair with Blake, so Pronger got put on line two. You are the only one who seems to think this is a fatal flaw, I think?

Don’t see an issue using your #4 with your #1 to create more balanced pairs. The vast majority of NHL teams split their top-2 guys to balance the pairs. Pronger still plays the second most ice time, right?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think my top 3 lines are well constructed and will score enough to win a tough series. If the Terriers get rough to try to limit Lemieux we have our own psychopath in Pronger to take a pound of flesh in return. Hopefully that will limit any shenanigans. My defense is middle of the road for an ATD, but i think are solidly put together for their roles. Parent brings it in the playoffs and that's what he's going to be expected to do for the Penguins. It's a good tough match up that I think my team should squeak out a win

Your top line is elite. Orillia’s is probably average, maybe a bit below.

Your second line is ok - two good wingers held back by a weak center, just like Orillia’s second line. Petrov and Keats are about equal. Hextall and Benn are equal. Kane is quite a bit better offensively than Firsov, but lacks the solid two-way play. Overall, I’m not sure either one has a significant edge.

Your third line is ok. Orillia’s is elite, especially at even strength, where Dumart and Provost are legit scoring threats.

Agreed your defense is pretty non-descript. Probably call it good defensively and a bit weak offensively, but overall Ok. Don’t see any huge weaknesses aside from the lack of puck skill on the third pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00