Reaves incident with Grubauer/Graves MOD - NO Racial remarks allowed. (Suspended 2 games)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
1) ok thats fair, so give him 2 min and 10 min misconduct
2) i dont see that happening here tbh, i see a guy trying to start some shenanigans with graves and then a linesman and a avs player basically dogpile onto reaves which forced him onto the ice where graves was.

They were trying to pull him OFF of Graves. They weren't "dogpiling" on him. He's just that f***ing big and strong. It's CLEAR what he's trying to do. He puts his knee on his head/neck a couple times, and the entire time he has his hands on his helmet/face, trying to pry it off(which he eventually does). This is AFTER putting him in a headlock and dragging him to the ice face first.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
All Graves had to do was fight Carrier instead of laughing in his face and this wouldn't of happened.

Didn’t like the hit by Graves at all but he doesn’t “owe” anyone anything. Let the officials and the league take care of it, that’s their job.

If Vegas wants to target him with clean checks so be it. I don’t think they should have their game plan around that (best way to get “revenge” is on the scoreboard) but that’s up to them. It didn’t cause Reaves to react this way and it’s definitely not an excuse for what happened.

Reactions: Bee Holder

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
2) i dont see that happening here tbh, i see a guy trying to start some shenanigans with graves and then a linesman and a avs player basically dogpile onto reaves which forced him onto the ice where graves was.
It was the Avs fault for piling on Bertuzzi, the Avs broke their own guy's neck

(massive /s, in case that's not clear)

Reactions: cgf

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Yes, it was worse with the hit to the goalie’s head, premeditation, and the knee to the neck. You can make plausible arguments to justify a suspension here; you just might not want them to get reviewed by an independent arbitrator so you’d keep it less than 6 games.

I don't know that it was. And I think you could (and many did) make plausible arguments to justify a suspension with Wilson. I honestly don't think the NHL can survive a PR storm where they suspend Reaves after not suspending Wilson.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Match penalties aren’t given out that often.

This had intent to injure all over it.

He should be done for the rest of time.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
To me, the big difference here between this and the Wilson incident... Panarin initiated with Wilson by jumping on his back. Graves did not initiate anything with Reaves here.

And second, Reaves was clearly, unquestionably trying to injure Graves here. And it was clearly in retaliation to events earlier in the game. This was completely premeditated from Reaves, it was the sole purpose of his existence on the ice the entire 2nd half of the game.

I dont know what Reaves suspension history is, but I think this suspension will be close to Kadri's, depending on how severe the league believes Reaves intent truly was with his knee clamping down on Graves head... It could be significantly higher.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Didn’t like the hit by Graves at all but he doesn’t “owe” anyone anything. Let the officials and the league take care of it, that’s their job.

If Vegas wants to target him with clean checks so be it. I don’t think they should have their game plan around that (best way to get “revenge” is on the scoreboard) but that’s up to them. It didn’t cause Reaves to react this way and it’s definitely not an excuse for what happened.
New to watching the NHL? Hockey is a violent sport played with lots of emotion.

Reactions: Mattb124 and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Brother he's being sarcastic.

TBF I do genuinely think that the NHL is clueless enough to want to send that message as I struggle to believe an organization that was trying to highlight the skill of its game, would make even half of the dumb decisions that the NHL has. Whereas if you assume that they think the best way to grow the sport is by maximizing parity and appealing to that "old time hockey" crowd, their decisions make a lot more sense.

Obviously, they are wrong & just making the game more & more of a niche sport, but there's no reason why they can't be incompetent & wrong.

armedequation

Mar 1, 2019
More concerned with him trying to force his knee into the neck/throat of graves. 275lbs of weight on his knee into a guys throat can literally kill them. I like Reeves as a player but this was overboard...

really? you consider him a player? he has talent as a hockey player that you like?

HldMyBeer

May 15, 2019
It was the Avs fault for piling on Bertuzzi, the Avs broke their own guy's neck

(massive /s, in case that's not clear)
Take another look, he did not have to ram his knee into his face, nor try to get his helmet off and do it again

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain

I hate when my knee is repeatedly pushed into a guy's neck for no reason. Seems like Reaves should be a bit more aware that doing such a thing is frowned upon?

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Everyone (including me) makes the $5000 jokes and whatnot, but can the NHL seriously suspend Reaves for this without showing a clear double standard/inconsistency after the Wilson incident?

And in a similar vein, does Reaves back off a bit if Wilson gets even a game for his actions?

It's times like these that I'm disappointed we don't have time machines.

Lol it's a bit late for the league to worry about inconsistency with player safety. Good one!

Reactions: 63 others

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
To me, the big difference here between this and the Wilson incident... Panarin initiated with Wilson by jumping on his back.

It's amazing just how easily everyone forgets that the fine was for the Buchnevich incident, not what happened with Panarin.

There's not a lot of difference between Reaves on Graves and Wilson on Buchnevich, except that Reaves used his knee, whereas Wilson used his glove.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad