RD Vsevolod Komarov - Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL (2022, 134th, BUF)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
The Quebec Remparts will rely on the best defenseman in the QMJHL this season, according to Simon Gagné

The Quebec Remparts have lost many leading players since winning the Gilles-Courteau Trophy and the Memorial Cup, but one key element remains: Russian defender Vsevolod Komarov who, in the eyes of the team's general manager Simon Gagné will be the best defenseman in the league in 2023-2024.

The Buffalo Sabers' fifth-round pick had already established himself as a top defenseman last year, being a more than important part of the Remparts' two championships, but the best is yet to come according to Gagné.

“In my eyes, he will be the best defenseman in the QMJHL, without a doubt. If I want to build a club to win, I take Komarov as a starter. [Gatineau Olympiques defender] Tristan Luneau is very good offensively and he will finish with more points. On the other hand, Komarov brings so much both offensively and defensively. He plays with grit and is very tough on his body. I saw him play with injuries last year and the majority of players would not have been able to play with that, "he mentioned to the Journal, which suggests that the price to make his acquisition during the next holiday season could be high.

Ready to contribute

Back in Quebec for a third season, Komarov still hasn't put his skates on at the team's training camp, as he is nursing a minor leg injury. But it will not be long.

And as soon as he is healthy, his intention is to work on becoming what his general manager sees in him: the best defenseman in the QMJHL.

“I don't know if I will be, but I will do everything to be, he assured in excellent english. On the other hand, the work that I will put in will not be for me but for the good of the team. I want to play a lot of minutes this season. I love to play hockey and I'm up for the challenge."

Komarov was able to return to his hometown of Chelyabinsk for the summer, where he took some time off to catch up with family and friends before returning to training for what will likely be his final season at the junior level.

“I took a two-week break and then resumed training. Due to my injury, I couldn't skate as much as I wanted to but it's better now. I'm happy to be back. It's a new team and new coaches but I have the impression that everything is the same. I miss hockey and can't wait to play and win. »

A stop in Buffalo

Komarov will be one of the only two Remparts players to participate in a professional camp in addition to goalkeeper Quentin Miller who will take part in the Montreal Canadiens camp.

Komarov will be in his second camp with the Sabres, after last year. Another experience that will help him have an impact with the Remparts in 2023-2024, he believes.

“Last year, everything was new for me. I had the chance to practice with defenders like Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power. In the NHL, you play against real men and you have to be tough to play. »

In 62 games last season with the Remparts, Komarov scored 39 points. He added eight in 18 playoff games, then three in four games in the Memorial Cup, including the game-winning goal in the final.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

Probably his last goal as a Quebec Rempart. Gonna miss the kid who, reading at the beginning of this thread and the 2021 Import Draft thread, nobody knew about when he came to the CHL. :laugh:

One of the best import I’ve watched in Quebec, and we’ve had some pretty good ones (Radulov, Stefanovich, Kugryshev, Grigorenko, Kucherov, Kurashev, Timashov).

Last edited:

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
This guy is the real deal.

Komarov plays a solid two-way game and his poise with the puck is so good he almost looks nonchalant. In a weird way his demeanor reminds me of Carey Price.

His biggest strength to me is he always makes good decisions with the puck, extremely rarely causes turnovers. His compete level is very, very high. Add his 6'3 frame to this and this is a steal of a 5th round pick.

Needs to improve his mobility a bit and stop taking bad penalties. Sometimes his emotions gets the best of him as he is a great competitor.

If he keeps improving like he did in the past 2-3 years, to me this guy is a sure NHLer with top 4 potential. Sabres fans are gonna love him.

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
Offensive stats comparison:
Last year on a Mem cup winner team:
62GP-12G-27A-39PTS

This year since joining Drummondville:
29GP-8G-32A-40PTS

Reactions: Chainshot

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He led Quebec to a Memorial Cup last year and he might get to do the same with Drummondville this year

In a re-draft he is a 1st rounder

I watched him and Noah Warren last night and Komarov is way ahead. Warren can't do shit with the puck and often takes himself out of the play going for the big hit. Komarov has a better vision and he has more poise in his game. He's just a way better all-around defender.

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
He led Quebec to a Memorial Cup last year and he might get to do the same with Drummondville this year

In a re-draft he is a 1st rounder
I got laughed at on another thread when I said he would be a 1st rounder in a re-draft. People that don't see the guy play just won't understand. Such a sleeper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad