RD Nikita Zaitsev (2010 undrafted; 2016 signed, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snizzbone*

Friedman's 30 thoughts says not to count out Pittsburgh, citing Gary Roberts involvement with the org.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This is honestly his prospect thread?... 3 pages long only?

Maybe im missing something?

No offense to Leaf fans but usually Leaf stud players are extremely long threads and he is looking like a real impressive signing.

Apparently had an extremely impressive debut last night(only caught some of the game so cant comment on it myself) and Babcock loved his game.

Geeze, 3 pages long and last name not spelled properly? this thread needs to get corrected and get some momentum!!!

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

No offense to Leaf fans but usually Leaf stud players are extremely long threads and he is looking like a real impressive signing.

Apparently had an extremely impressive debut last night(only caught some of the game so cant comment on it myself) and Babcock loved his game.

Geeze, 3 pages long and last name not spelled properly? this thread needs to get corrected and get some momentum!!!

Yeah he was a stud last night, picked up a goal, and honestly is the real deal. He led russia in ice time too at the wch. He has all the tools of a top 4 dman easily, could top out as a low end 2 or a high end 3.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
is he aggressive at all? saw that he had a few hits last night too... is that a rarity or is he known to throw his body around throughout games

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
is he aggressive at all? saw that he had a few hits last night too... is that a rarity or is he known to throw his body around throughout games

Ughh hard to say. I've seen him through a few checks in the o-zone. But i cant recall him throwing the body much in the neutral or d-zone much. But i wanna say he plays the body a little more then average.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
im curious what a realistic point total prediction for him could be this season. Playing with all that firepower up front it wouldn't surprise me if he puts up good totals... and ive read that him and Rielly could become the new top pairing

I know he got a lot of PP time over the years in the KHL. Id love to see this guy have a huge season

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
im curious what a realistic point total prediction for him could be this season. Playing with all that firepower up front it wouldn't surprise me if he puts up good totals... and ive read that him and Rielly could become the new top pairing

I know he got a lot of PP time over the years in the KHL. Id love to see this guy have a huge season

hard to say cause theres also gardiner. So offense to be shared by the 3 dman but something like this:
rielly: 40-50 points
zaitsev:30-40 points
gardiner:30-40 points

zaitsev is like a right handed clone of gardiner. Except hes more physical, and has more poise. But they both are silky smooth skaters, who use there sticks well, and have a bomb from the point.

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
hard to say cause theres also gardiner. So offense to be shared by the 3 dman but something like this:
rielly: 40-50 points
zaitsev:30-40 points
gardiner:30-40 points

zaitsev is like a right handed clone of gardiner. Except hes more physical, and has more poise. But they both are silky smooth skaters, who use there sticks well, and have a bomb from the point.

From what I have seen in the WCH and last nights preseason game i would say Gardiner is a much smoother skater. I agree that Zaitsev has more poise and toughness.

So far, I am happy with Zaitsevs decision making and overall skillset. If his skating was on par with Gardiner he'd be ahead of Jake on the depth chart already.

I'm hoping for some Reilly-Zaitsev shifts.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

He isn't Emelin, who hits for hits sake, Zaitsev hits, when he needs to hit. But usually he prefer to act more cautiously to hold situation under control.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I think we overlook that he's a "prospect" because he's in his mid 20's. The spelling isn't a mistake, there's often multiple english spellings of Russian names because the Russian language has its own alphabet that isn't a one-to-one translation to English, we just latch on to the most popular spelling once a player is known here

The leafs board thread on him is much more indepth than this one: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2065215

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
He looks like he'll transition rather easily to the NHL, which should be expected with so many years of professional hockey under his belt.
He brings a bit of everything to the ice, I think he might end up being a much bigger piece than projected.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

I think he's fairly aggressive. His game seems to be well suited to the North American ice surface. Looks like a top 4 defender to me.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Far more important than hits is that he doesn't give the opposition any room. He is good at sticking to people like glue, without getting beat, and he battles hard. Compare that to Morgan Rielly who still sometimes gives the opponent a bit too much respect (I blame Carlyle and his "system" for instilling this habit).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Haha, we were off discussing him quietly in our forum. Think most people don't really view him as a prospect so he wasn't discussed here, similar to Panarin not being talked about much here. Due to this bump we will probably be close to Zaitsev III by the time he graduates.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

I would think 40 points is realistic for him. If not a bit more with that great looking PP. I suspect Rielly will jump big time and hit above 50 points with a competent partner in Nikita who is great in possession as well.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Watched the Toronto vs Ottawa game last night and it looks like the Leafs snagged themselves a good one.

The Leafs in general have become a fun team to watch. :nod:

Last edited:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't think it is unrealistic to say the Leafs have potentially solved their top pairing RD problem. In fact, a top 4 of

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick

Is on of the most mobile and creative top 4 D in the NHL, and the epitome of "New" NHL where teams prefer skill over hulking D.

I see this D core struggling to contain players like Benn, Perry, Ovi, but excelling in most other area's including contributing to increased possession stats with their ability to move the puck up the ice, and their ability to run a PP.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
He really has looked good so far. In the first couple games he's seemed really reliable out there and moving the puck nicely.

And congrats to him for his first NHL point with that assist on Marner's goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad