RD Henry Mews - Ottawa 67's, OHL (2024, 74th, CGY)

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Bump.

Saw this kid play this weekend at a Toronto Minor Hockey Tournament. He checks off all the boxes to be a legitimate NHL prospect this early.

Elite hockey IQ, capable skater (not fantastic or terrible), controls the pace of play like few probably can in his current OHL draft class. Easily going to be a first round NHL player, likely top 10.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bump.

Saw this kid play this weekend at a Toronto Minor Hockey Tournament. He checks off all the boxes to be a legitimate NHL prospect this early.

Elite hockey IQ, capable skater (not fantastic or terrible), controls the pace of play like few probably can in his current OHL draft class. Easily going to be a first round NHL player, likely top 10.

This is looking like a very accurate post a year later.

I thought he was the best player for Canada White, and one of the best defenseman at the tournament.

My main question was his skating. As you say, I don’t think it’s any type of weakness, but you’d like it a little better for a potential top 10 pick. He’s not perfect defensively, but I think he’s very good defensively. One of the better players in his own zone for a U17. His offensive skills might not jump off the page, but I think they’re good.

Can play all situations and he’s one of those good at everything defenseman with very good sense. Has a chance to be the first defenseman off the board in the 2024 draft.

Reactions: Dominance

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Saw him play today for the first time and was very impressed. Great 1v1 defender and barely put a foot wrong in terms of positioning, for the amount of times he rushes the puck and makes strong first passes he almost never turned it over (save for one time where he immediately broke up the play afterwards). At least on today’s evidence I much prefer him to Dickinson and Parekh. NHL comparable… I don’t know perhaps Jared Spurgeon was the first thing that came to mind

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Any updates on this kid? How did he do at the Hlinka? What do our resident scouts here at HF think about him and his potential?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Any updates on this kid? How did he do at the Hlinka? What do our resident scouts here at HF think about him and his potential?
His Hlinka was good. I'd give him a B+.

I think Mews is talented. Great skater and has skill from the backend. I think he reads the game well. Sometimes the execution isn't there. Defensive game is inconsistent. I'm looking for improvements in those two areas and I think he has a chance to be a top 5 pick. 6-10 is more likely his range. I feel comfortable saying Mews has top pairing upside, but his game still needs some work for him to get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad