RD Gerard Keane - London Knights, OHL (2020 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Tough to make an evaluation on defensemen based on stats alone - and tough to get the feel for the long-term prospects of a defenseman playing on a strong team, but curious about Keane.

Has yet to skate for a USA team and was not included on the CS final rankings (while his teammate Steklov was). But playing full-time as a 17-year-old would seem to merit some attention.

Is there any chance Keane merits a late-round flier?

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Keane is a 2002 born player, not a late '01

Probably won't get drafted this year but has a chance to earn more ice and opportunity next year in London and could be re-entry player in the future.

His brother had a similar career arc to this same point.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
He has the tools. He skates as well as his brother does. Shows flashes of being a creative player in transition and a physical player in his own end. But his decision making just is not strong at this point in time. Turnovers were a major issue this year.

However, his brother was a real late bloomer too (as @NA Hockey) mentioned. It's possible that an NHL team drafts him late hoping that London's coaching staff can bring out the best in him. Again, the tools are there.

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
He has terrific speed, when given a chance to use it. Tough as nails and doesn't quit. Past season was a development period for sure. Struggled with decision-making and "anger management" in early going. Settled down later in the season. I think for most of the season, his confidence was lacking. He's fast enough and smart enough to recover, but too often was drawing penalties because he THOUGHT he was beat. But as the season went on, you could see his positioning was getting better and wasn't having to hook and hold like he was. Stopped retaliating so much and definitely a better mindset before the season halted.

He's a work in progress. He's with the right team. If anyone can turn him into a gem, it's London and the Hunters. I can see him as an OA draft pick next year, for sure ... if he doesn't catch a late bid this draft.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Keane is a 2002 born player, not a late '01

Probably won't get drafted this year but has a chance to earn more ice and opportunity next year in London and could be re-entry player in the future.

His brother had a similar career arc to this same point.

Thanks. Not sure how I got the wrong birthdated (fixed) - multiple windows opened at the same time but no idea where I saw the wrong date.

Should have made the connection with Joey Keane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad