RD EJ Emery - USNTDP, USHL (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Big defender who played in Canada and holds duel citizenship made the the U17 US national team after being one of the underdogs to make the team going into camp. He stands at 6’4” already at 16 and is a physically imposing player that doesn’t take no for an answer. Should be an interesting player to watch going forward.

WHL Rights: Saskatoon Blades

Reactions: BKarchitect

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
It’s still early, but I think Emery is a potential top 10 pick for 2024. He has it all - size, speed, and great instincts at both ends of the ice. I think he’s easily the premiere defender for his USNTDP age group.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s very intriguing…I think he’s got the potential be a high riser in this batch of U17s.

It’s still early, but I think Emery is a potential top 10 pick for 2024. He has it all - size, speed, and great instincts at both ends of the ice. I think he’s easily the premiere defender for his USNTDP age group.
Lol, right as I was posting…great minds ;)

Definitely one I am excited to see! Although Hensler and Whipple are studs too so if Emery turns out easily better than them this is gonna be a helluva blueline group.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Born in Surrey, BC, but has dual citizenship. American parent?

Interesting that he went NTDP having played with Burnaby WC and Yale Academy. Maybe he considers himself American, or prefers the NTDP-NCAA development path.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Born in Surrey, BC, but has dual citizenship. American parent?

Interesting that he went NTDP having played with Burnaby WC and Yale Academy. Maybe he considers himself American, or prefers the NTDP-NCAA development path.
I think almost all NA players would take the NTDP development path if it was available to them.

I don't think most players that grow up in North America dream of playing for the country they have the closest allegiance to. They grow up wanting to play in the NHL. It might be a little different for players from Europe. They don't get to watch as much of the NHL, and there's more national pride in their hockey.

The players that grew up in Canada know that they are most likely moving to America a few years later anyway, so it's not like they'd be completely opposed to moving to America right away. Almost all of them are moving away from home anyway when they play junior hockey.

Some might think having to represent the USA is a deal-breaker, but I don't believe these kids care about stuff as much as fans on a website like this. If the best Canadian prospects in a given draft could've played at the NTDP, he probably would've, and he wouldn't care that he'd have to represent a country he probably doesn't feel the same allegiance to. NTDP is seen as the premier development path in NA hockey, and these players want to be part of it. They think that can help them get drafted higher and it'll make them better hockey players. Thats what they care about. Their dream is the NHL. Whether these kids feel more American or more Canadian, they think the NTDP best helps them reach their dream of the NHL.

International sports now has a lot of mercenaries. I'm not saying this guy is one. He could have chosen NTDP over WHL/BCHL because he feels more American, but which country you feel the most sentimental allegiance to is not the reason for a lot of recent years when it comes to international sports.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m with @BKarchitect. He’s intriguing.

Good defensive defender, physical, skates well, good positioning. His puck game is inconsistent.

You can compare him to someone like Noah Warren or Brandon Carlo. Not a big offensive player, but he looks like he’ll be an impactful NHL defensemen.

Reactions: BKarchitect

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I was fairly excited by Emery coming into this year but he has been very mistake-prone in the early going. He has quite a tool box but I think Skahan is a step above as a player right now.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I question how well he sees the ice after last night - the game I saw of his at Yale Academy he didn’t have the same issue with processing the game.

I think it’s something to keep an eye on moving forward and watching how it improves at the USDP

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s currently the Brady Cleveland or Alex Vlasic of his NTDP age group.

Has the raw tools teams will love, but his actual play lags behind significantly.

Let’s see if he can show some progression next season. Could definitely be a first rounder if he does. And if he doesn’t, someone will likely gamble on the tools high anyway.

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Got a chance to see EJ Emery today. In fact, I was sitting next to Craig Button crazy enough who seemed to be writing about Emery on his iPad. I’m curious if he ends up in his top 32.

I really like EJ Emery’s tools and think he’s super underrated. I haven’t had a chance to really see a ton of 2024 draft eligibles but I could see him being in my top 32. He has so much untapped potential and has great size and mobility. The USNTDP’s defense group looks pretty good this year.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's improved his defending this year. Not as many mistakes. Definitely coming along in his defensive progression.

I guess my question is what he amounts to in the NHL. I heard Corey Pronman mention this recently, and I thought it made a lot of sense. He's not an ace defensive player right now, he's a good athlete at 6'3 and good skater, but not an athletic beast. He's good enough with his puck moving, yet not an offensive guy. What is he then?

I think he's a second rounder. I could even see him as an early second rounder, but I'm a little unsure how he amounts to a top 4 defenseman.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's improved his defending this year. Not as many mistakes. Definitely coming along in his defensive progression.

I guess my question is what he amounts to in the NHL. I heard Corey Pronman mention this recently, and I thought it made a lot of sense. He's not an ace defensive player right now, he's a good athlete at 6'3 and good skater, but not an athletic beast. He's good enough with his puck moving, yet not an offensive guy. What is he then?

I think he's a second rounder. I could even see him as an early second rounder, but I'm a little unsure how he amounts to a top 4 defenseman.
Connor Murphy? He wasn’t what he is now when he was drafted. Definitely became this over time. Seems like EJ Emery might walk a similar path.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I'm really high on Emery. He's got nice tools and I think he's got a lot of upside. 6'3 and skates well. Both good straightline speed and a good lateral skater.

He's an excellent rush defender. He forces players to the outside and closes on them with good timing. He's got a long reach and a good defensive stick. Breaks up a lot of rush attempts / prevents zone entries with a simple poke or stick on puck. Not overly physical or an open ice hitter. But understands space well and is great at closing opposing forwards off at the wall. His in zone defense is mostly good. Very good at breaking up opposing cycles. Either through anticipation with a poke check or a board battle. He’s an excellent penalty killer as well. Blocks shots and closes passing lanes. An area where I can see criticism is that you want Emery to be harder to play against. He can be fairly loose with his coverage in front of the net. I think that comes in time as he matures. He's got the frame to put on a lot of muscle between now and his prime. He's only listed at 185 pounds as of today and looks it to me. Probably plays around 205-210 in his prime.

He doesn't have natural offensive ability, but I wouldn't categorize he his puck game as a big weakness. He's fairly composed with the puck on his stick and makes a good first pass. He doesn't have deceptive offense, but can make simple reads with the puck on his stick. There’s room to grow offensively as he develops.

As an NHLer, he projects as a shut down defenseman and a very good one. Someone you can match up against the other team's top players night in, night out. He’s not going to be a 1, but has upside as a 2/3 defenseman. He can either be a complementary piece on a top pairing or carry a 2nd pairing if he hits his ceiling. He'd be a great partner for a Quinn Hughes or Miro Heiskanen type or could carry a more flawed offensively oriented partner on a second pairing. Floor is probably an unspectacular 6/7. I'd be surprised if he didn't at least get a run in the NHL. I'd compare him with someone like Tom Willander from last year. Anyone needing that type of defenseman should be looking heavily at Emery. Put another way, if he was in Carolina, I think he'd fit right in with some of their guys like Slavin/Pesce/Skjei if his development goes well.

Top 10 is probably high for Emery. Generally speaking, you want someone with more offensive upside with that high of a pick. I think his range is 10-20. Mid teens, I'd be pushing for Emery. Once you get to the mid 20's, I'd be pounding the table.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Does he have any signability concerns if he drops outside of the 1st round? Apparently he is a big Canuck fan…
Canucks and Kings fan according to his interview on Kings of the Podcast

I'm really high on Emery. He's got nice tools and I think he's got a lot of upside. 6'3 and skates well. Both good straightline speed and a good lateral skater.

He's an excellent rush defender. He forces players to the outside and closes on them with good timing. He's got a long reach and a good defensive stick. Breaks up a lot of rush attempts / prevents zone entries with a simple poke or stick on puck. Not overly physical or an open ice hitter. But understands space well and is great at closing opposing forwards off at the wall. His in zone defense is mostly good. Very good at breaking up opposing cycles. Either through anticipation with a poke check or a board battle. He’s an excellent penalty killer as well. Blocks shots and closes passing lanes. An area where I can see criticism is that you want Emery to be harder to play against. He can be fairly loose with his coverage in front of the net. I think that comes in time as he matures. He's got the frame to put on a lot of muscle between now and his prime. He's only listed at 185 pounds as of today and looks it to me. Probably plays around 205-210 in his prime.

He doesn't have natural offensive ability, but I wouldn't categorize he his puck game as a big weakness. He's fairly composed with the puck on his stick and makes a good first pass. He doesn't have deceptive offense, but can make simple reads with the puck on his stick. There’s room to grow offensively as he develops.

As an NHLer, he projects as a shut down defenseman and a very good one. Someone you can match up against the other team's top players night in, night out. He’s not going to be a 1, but has upside as a 2/3 defenseman. He can either be a complementary piece on a top pairing or carry a 2nd pairing if he hits his ceiling. He'd be a great partner for a Quinn Hughes or Miro Heiskanen type or could carry a more flawed offensively oriented partner on a second pairing. Floor is probably an unspectacular 6/7. I'd be surprised if he didn't at least get a run in the NHL. I'd compare him with someone like Tom Willander from last year. Anyone needing that type of defenseman should be looking heavily at Emery. Put another way, if he was in Carolina, I think he'd fit right in with some of their guys like Slavin/Pesce/Skjei if his development goes well.

Top 10 is probably high for Emery. Generally speaking, you want someone with more offensive upside with that high of a pick. I think his range is 10-20. Mid teens, I'd be pushing for Emery. Once you get to the mid 20's, I'd be pounding the table.
I think he's a 20-30 range guy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, you already have, at the very least, Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Parekh, Buium, Jiricek going ahead of him, then there is khivijarhu, Hutson, Mews, Elick, among others who are at least as highly ranked. There is still some season to go, but I don’t see him being picked before 20, and wouldn’t be shocked to see him in the early/ mid 2nd round. There are a lot of interesting Dmen in this draft besides the top 6/7.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Is Jayden Strubble a good comparison?

I was high on Struble his draft year - incredible athlete. But he was a pretty raw piece of clay. I think Emery’s game is much more advanced at the same age. I don’t think he’s got as much upside offensively as Willander but he’s bigger and I don’t think that’s a bad comp for the type of defender he could be.

I think he’s a first rounder even if I totally get the “he doesn’t blow you away with talent” concerns. I just think if you are 6-3, athletic, a plus 4-way skater and have shown a natural defensive aptitude - those kind of guys are just having more and more value among NHL front offices.

I suppose it depends on what you are after stylistically but in a vacuum I’d say rather spend a late 1st on Emery than a Hutson or Mews or maybe even a Kiviharju. The floor on a guy like Emery is super tangible and he doesn’t lack for upside, in his own way.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Feel like ndtp d who aren’t elite offensively get underrated. Guys like miller and Samuelson went at least 20 picks later than they should have. Emery has similar profile where barring injury bust, I think downside is 4/5 guy and upside is probably a 2d. Willander is good comp too. I have him comfortably in my top 20.

Reactions: 95snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad