RD Colton Parayko (2012, 86th, STL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Every player has different priorities. Some of them like the security of a long term contract, even if it means taking a lower AAV, and some will hold out for dear life to get paid. 28 million over the course of your 20s isn't exactly chickenfeed.

Pretty much. People also tend to think that all pro athletes have an endless source of confidence. Definitely not the case, especially with guys who weren't told they were going to be a star from a young age. Yeah, there are a ton of good, young NHLers sitting at home thinking "this NHL thing is easy." But there are also surely some guys who look at a 4x7 deal and think "you know, I'm not sure I can bank on being a 40 point guy every year. This could just be a fluke."

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Who was responsible for this pick? Thought I read somewhere that whoever it was had Parayko targeted and it wasn't just a matter of BPA.

From the ESPN article posted earlier

"We got a hot tip about a big defenseman from Alberta who played in this tournament in Russia," said Dan Ginnell, an amateur scout for St Louis. "Our first opportunity to really take a look at him was at the World Junior A Championship that fall. He played for Canada West, who went on to win the tournament, and I thought he played really well there and Marshall Davidson, who was one of our western scouts at the time, started following him around Alberta. After a few games, he alerted me that the kid was playing lights-out and I needed to come up and see him again."

They knew Parayko was flying under the radar because there were many times they'd go see him play and be the only scouts there, but the more they saw of him and the more they learned about him, the more excited they got about his potential and the more they wanted him.

Heading into their final meetings before the 2012 NHL draft, Ginnell and Davidson, who is now with the Columbus Blue Jackets, pushed for the Blues to take a chance on Parayko.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Yeah I saw that but Ginnell was tipped off a couple times. Curious who saw the talent in him to really push Ginnell to get some looks in, considering it sounds like no one else saw it.

A bird dog that is not associated with the team, that is part of the makeup of being a good regional scout. You have a lot of contacts that are willing to give you information on players because you cannot be everywhere at once. Your role is not only strictly to show up at the rink when the game starts and leave when the game ends strictly to evaluate talent, but relationships are cultivated over years and years and the role of information-gatherer is extremely important. A relationship/contact from working somewhere 15 years ago may have tipped off Ginnell or another scout, without cultivating that it is likely the Blues never would have got their hands on Parayko.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Beast of a season and is a complete beast in the playoffs. Its unbelievable to me this is his rookie season. IMO he has potential to be a top dman in the league within a few years. I know a lot of people consider strictly points when figuring out top rookie in the NHL, but IMO Parayko has been my favorite most complete rookie in the league this season. Sure he wont be a Calder winner or Calder finalist most likely, but I think he could be one of the best players that comes out of this rookie crop when we look back in 5 years

This might be the shortest thread length of a prospect that has turned into a star already

Also I don't even know why I brought this thread back up haha.. imo hes far from a prospect anymore... a complete star in the making and is gonna be a very rich kid soon and has made Shattenkirk expendable

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ghost says "hi"...

Points arent everything. Youd think HF would be all aboard the Parako hype train given their dislike for offensive only D like Karlsson and love two way D like Doughty.Paraykos tool set also has him on #1 D trajectory. He has everything you need in a #1 D

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Points arent everything. Youd think HF would be all aboard the Parako hype train given their dislike for offensive only D like Karlsson and love two way D like Doughty.Paraykos tool set also has him on #1 D trajectory. He has everything you need in a #1 D

As his fantasy owner, I hope you're exactly right. :)

I've watched both players play quite a bit this season, and there are elements of both games that give them claim to the throne of top rookie D...I'm just saying that Parayko isn't the automatic "best"...

Gostisbehere almost single-handedly turned around Philly's entire season. They were picking top five before he came in and led them to the playoffs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Pretty much this, though I haven't seen Ghostisbere play much. Parayko is about far more than points. He is not the next Brent Burns.

And this is coming from a rival of STL, not a fanboy.

Who would've guessed before the season that he would have more value than Trouba?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
His upside is a little better version than Shea Weber. And he's currently already a beast, so it's not like it's some huge stretch to say he could reach that potential. As a rookie, he's already the Blues 2nd best defensemen, and the guys he's ahead of (J-Bo, Shattenkirk, Gunnarsson) aren't exactly chopped liver. He's the real deal.

I'm sure people who have only caught a game of his here and there will say "baahh...he's over-rated"...but if you've seen every game of his, you'd realize how incredibly special he is. He's got all of the tools, and has the toolbox to go with it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His upside is a little better version than Shea Weber. And he's currently already a beast, so it's not like it's some huge stretch to say he could reach that potential. As a rookie, he's already the Blues 2nd best defensemen, and the guys he's ahead of (J-Bo, Shattenkirk, Gunnarsson) aren't exactly chopped liver. He's the real deal.

I'm sure people who have only caught a game of his here and there will say "baahh...he's over-rated"...but if you've seen every game of his, you'd realize how incredibly special he is. He's got all of the tools, and has the toolbox to go with it.

Better than Shea Weber?:shakehead

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Parayko is unreal. I watch the Blues lots and I think he has Franchise D written all over him.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Its funny how him and Ghost were both 3rd round picks in the same year, but now could be argued as top 5 picks of the draft

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Parayko is what we're hoping Morin becomes

He's getting passed on the prospect depth chart by Provorov. I can see the size comparison though.

I think Provorov has been by far the best Dman in the WHL. Wouldn't shock me at all if he becomes the best Dman from the 2015 draft.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
He's getting passed on the prospect depth chart by Provorov. I can see the size comparison though.

I think Provorov has been by far the best Dman in the WHL. Wouldn't shock me at all if he becomes the best Dman from the 2015 draft.

Yeah Provorov is our true shot at a #1 D man, which it looks like he'll become. If Morin turned into a LHD Parayko id be more than happy

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
him, Ekblad and Lindholm are absolute beasts, theyre gonna lead the way for the next generation of dmen.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I remember that early in the season when I hadn't really seen this Parayko guy play and had just heard good things that he was a big guy who "could" be like Shea Weber, similar to what is said about every 6'5 defenseman. I said McIlrath was around even with Parayko as a player. I really was wrong about that. McIlrath's no slouch and gets a bad reputation, but Parayko is really the next coming of Shea Weber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad